New PRS Guy...Zach Meyer SE

steves

I just bought my 1st PRS and really love it...I'm only an intermediate player and just like to noodle.
My question, I hope isn't stupid...it doesn't seem to stay in tune well?
Brought it back to the shop and they restrung it , said everything looks set up fine, but still doing the same thing ...
Any thoughts?

A common culprit in SE’s is the nut slots being slightly too narrow for the strings, especially if you’ve moved up beyond the stock 9’s. The strings can stick/bind in the nut.

I would check that out first, once you have that straightened out, your instrument should be very stable. Check out the PRS restringing video on youtube to see how to do the lock wrap, and I think you’ll be good to go.

I have a couple of singlecut SE’s (ZM and another) and they have both been extremely stable even without locking tuners. I have changed one out for the SE lockers, but strictly for ease of string changes, it had nothing to add to intonation.

Also... congrats, and welcome!!!

I've had a few ZM's over the years, never had tuning issues. Make sure you stretch those strings out, that should help, if not there are some replacement locking tuners out there that could do the trick. Good luck.

change the nut to a core version and you'll be fine. I did that to my ZM first gen. (the not-so-popular-version)

welcome! Are you having issues with all strings? I put 10’s on my ZM and use the PRS suggested wrap lock method and it stays in tune very well. I did file the slots slightly when I upped the string gauge on it.

welcome! Are you having issues with all strings? I put 10’s on my ZM and use the PRS suggested wrap lock method and it stays in tune very well. I did file the slots slightly when I upped the string gauge on it.

Thanks for your replies guys.
At first it was only the low E an G strings. They replaced with 9s, which is what I prefer, as a new player. The tech guy did says they the guitar came with the strings NOT properly wrapped, which I found odd as I know all PRS guitars are QC before they leave and said he wrapped it correctly? Now only the G seems to be going out?

That guitar comes with 9's.... did you buy it new? I would suspect it is binding at the nut. Try lubing the slots (pencil lead down in the slot and twist) and see if that helps.

Back