New PRS guy with old question

Frank Luke

Pathfinder69
So I did search as best I could.Been a Strat guy all my life. I have a new PRS S2 SC McCarty 594 arriving Thursday. I like\prefer\want locking tuners.
Do I have any options without modifying the holes? I can do that, been around a long time, but sure would rather NOT do that.
Thanks Folks-I am excited!
Frank

Asked this question on Reverb before I bought the guitar>
This is the answer I got on Reverb from a guitar dealer.
I quote reply:
"
This is from PRS website. They look close but I’m sure you can get them to work in some way.

Product Description
PRS designed locking tuners with unplated brass shaft. Set of six. (Includes bushings and installation screws)
Please note: The Phase 3 tuners WILL NOT retrofit to any PRS model without modifications except models that already have Phase 3 tuners installed.

Shawn is going to have better answers than any dealer, given that he works at PRS.
Yes I figured that. Just showing the post that the guy said was copied/pasted from the PRS website.
Guess I am not explaining myself correctly. Please explain the part after the "Please Note:" part?
It is somewhat confusing since this guitar never had Phase III locking tuners on it.
Not trying to be a wise guy, trying to understand.

Last edited:
I think that the "Please note: The Phase 3 tuners WILL NOT retrofit to any PRS model without modifications except models that already have Phase 3 tuners installed." phrase was true when the Phase III tuners were first released. But the new vintage tuners on the 594's can be replaced with the Phase III tuners. Certainly, if Shawn says they'll fit, they will fit.

He means that since Shawn is a Master Yoda at PRS, what he says is gospel.

I’ll add, I replaced a set of the Vintage style tuners on my 2020 594 with Phase IIII tuners. They were a direct fit. No modding required.
Mine is an S2 594 But I know vintage tuners will be on all of them gooing forward, but I doubt they will be the same vintage tuners that are on the S2 models.
I appreciate the answers and like I said I already ordered them after I saw Shawns posts. Just looking to understand.........Thanks

Back