New PRS For Me

Louisguitar

Hi all,

31 years ago I bought a cherry burst Custom 24 who kept me company for about 1300 nights in night clubs, cruise ships, television etc. etc.
Later I sold that guitar, consumed by hard work, because I needed money.
Now, 25 years later, I have some guitars including two collectible prs, a 1987 Custom 24 and a 1991 Signature.
These guitars are in collector grade condition so they are under the bed.
I would like to buy a new guitar with trem, not for collection, but to use, and it must be a PRS.
Now there are many models to buy, new and used, I like Custom 24, 35th anniversary, 30th anniversary, 509, DGT, Santana, Modern Eagle Quatro (the V is too expensive and the 1 would be another guitar under the bed).
Which do you think is the best for jazz-rock?
Controls, pickups, wood, neck ecc. ecc.
The best performing guitar to use with a Custom Audio head and various pedals?

Thanks

Last edited:
The problem here is that I love nearly every guitar on your list, and picking just one is like being a kid in a candy store! Almost too many great choices!

For my own reasons however, I'd narrow it down to the 35th, the DGT, the Santana, and the ME Quattro. Two of them I own, the other two I want, and they're all super versatile. I'd say the Quattro with those sweet and rare 53/10 pickups if jazz was a focus, the 35th if you wanted a more versatile version of your familiar squeeze, the DGT if you wanted more of a traditional blues machine with attitude, and the Santana if you wanted more of a howitzer.

That's the best I can do, but if you've got some more input, it may help to narrow things a bit further.

Actually, a Custom 22 Special Semi-Hollow Ltd would be great for the style of music you're playing. So would a lot of the others, but I just thought I'd toss another one out there.
Agree!

I use some guitars, a Les Paul R9, a 175, a Collings I35 DLX and a 40th Anniversary Telecaster.
So I miss a "modern" guitar with trem.
I also thought about Suhr and Tom anderson guitars, but I don't like bolt-on guitars, I prefer Gibson to Fender, so I prefer PRS to Suhr.
Every guitar of mine must have a good clean jazz on the bass pickup and a good blues sound, I would like a guitar with a great sustain and a great sensitivity to the touch.
But this must be a guitar that I don't have yet, so it must have the trem and must be ok in rock-fusion like this:

I need a solid not an hollow body guitar, great in overdrive sound and with pedals with an "important" neck, not slim or narrow or thin, a great neck that transmits an imposing and solid sound.

Cuz even though I tossed out SSH, lets face it, everyone NEEDS a Santana!

Or at least needs to try one. It’s such a different guitar than what people now think of when they think PRS.

As more and more time goes by, I play my other non-Santana shaped guitars less and less.

Back