New PRS DGT day and a few questions

roodboy

Got this awesome DGT yesterday:
2wgdiqs.jpg

Love the guitar and had two questions for DGT owners/players.
1. Did you keep the 11's size strings?
If you did are your other guitars alos 11's.
2. Any way to make the pullup knob for single coils easier to pull up?
It seems stiff and I cant switch to singles from buckers easy.

More dealer pics:

http://willcuttguitars.com/Catalogue...&ObjectType=27

I kept the 11's as my dgt is my number one and use it for high gain stuff.

The tone knob will not be as stiff after some use. Mine was a little stiff at first but kept using it and now it's pretty easy to push/pull.

Yes and yes. Not that you can't change away from 11s without success, but there's a lot of wisdom in the 'bigger is better' philosophy. My DGT was the first guitar to come setup with 11s and it prompted me to change strings on nearly everything to 11s. The pickup response is worth it alone, to me. EB Cobalts also made a difference and adds something else that I like to the mix.

You can always replace the pot/switch to a push-push pot. It works perfectly for me.

Congrats on a great NGD!

Always play at 11 lol. Didn't know about the push/ push pots, might just look in to those. Thanks boogie

Thanks for the replies.
I think I am going to put the 11's back on and see how it goes and hopefully the knob loosens.

Beautiful guitar! Congrats.

I often have trouble with the pull-up knobs, too, but they do loosen up with use.

I switched to 10s. They are more comfortable for me, but I also switched pups so I didn't lose that magic Boogie is talking about with the DGT pups and 11s.

you can use a push-push as mentioned. I've never used one,but I have heard of some wearing out more quickly after HEAVY use. Again, it's not something I've seen, but something I've heard.

I've noticed that the old style top hat knobs are easier to pull than the now stabdard lampshade knobs, though I love the lampshade knobs.

I don't have a DGT, but I use 11s on my SC HB (but with a plain G). It took a little getting used to changing guitars in a set, and retraining my fingers for bends, but he tone is worth it.

I have had my Studio for a couple years now and that pushpull pot is still a pita sometimes. Add sweat and I gotta try to wedge my fingers under the knob to pull it up.
I don't have a DGT but people say that with .011s on them they feel like .010s. Not sure how cause AFAIK they are the normal PRS (25") scale? Which is still a 1/2" shorter than a Fender so
.011s on a PRS shouldn't FEEL much heavier than .010s on a Strat.
I was running .011s on all my guitars for a couple years and went back to .010s. I got a Tremonti SE Custom in the Spring. It came with .009s. Felt great but I switched to .010s. I didn't notice ANY tone improvement. I went back to ,009s on it. SO much FUN.
I left .010s on all my others.
SRV used .013s. Watch/listen to some jam footage where he would be onstage with other guitarists. Even ith .013s his guitar sounded (don't kill me) THIN and bright relative to the others. Someone would be doing a solo and then Stevie would take over and :-O ???? Woah...THIN!! but within a few bars you're like...man he sure got some WICKED strat tones out of that thing.

My point is that...sorry Boogz but I think a lot of the BEST guitarists and a lot of those who have GREAT tone, use .010s and .009s and some even use .008s.

If you prefer the feel of .010s (or even .009s...not saying that .011s wont put hair on your chest and make you feel like you can really SHRED when you then go to .010s or .009s...cause they DO/you WILL) use them and just compensate with your amp's settings, pickup height, brand of string etc...maybe an EQ pedal?

I LOVE jumping on the Tremonti with it's .009s. And it sounds way fatter and more huge than all my PRS doublecuts with .010s...even with the same pickups!! And it's just so much more "acrobatic".

Confession: When people play my Tremonti and go...WOW...this guitar is DEADLY!!! Must be worth a FORTUNE...PRS and all. Does it got .010s on it? Yes! Yes it does have .010s on it...but it's just a Korean SE ;-)

YMMV

Definitely like .011s, tried .010s a couple times but didn't sound right. The bigger string gauge is one part of the many things that make it a DGT.

I'll make sure that Billy Gibbons and Jimmy Page get that memo. :flute::biggrin:

Gibbons tone that every loves is from the early days and large gauge strings... His tone today, especially live is not even in the same ball park..

Kept the 11s. They do feel more like 10s on the DGT - the difference between 10s on another PRS and the 11s on the DGT is very similar to the difference between 9s and 10s on two other guitars. It's not the scale length, it's the frets - for whatever reason (and someone will know), they make playing and bending strings easier with the 11s.

The push-pull pot on mine loosened up a bit with use. But it looks like you have lampshade knobs - those have always been a little more difficult for me to pull than traditional speed knobs.

DGT Std owner here. I kept the 11's, I have 11's on my SCHB Std and can bend them. With the trem and non-wound G, bending is even easier with the DGT. I like the fatter tone of 11's. I practice with my acoustics (12-53) mostly, so 11's are fine. 10's are a little easier and 9's feel like rubber bands. So yes, 2 of my guitars have the 11's, as mentioned, the rest have 10's (I would need an adjustable bridge to go to 11's on them). I almost forgot, my Archtop II has 12's.
I've had the guitar for over a year and a half, so I don't remember if the push/pull was harder to use or not. I don't have to 'grip' it with 2 fingers, I'm able to pull or push it up by just applying upward pressure and it pops up fairly easily for me. I tend to use the split tones for clean and distorted rhythms and humbucker tones for soloing.
I hope this helps.

That is an excellent looking DGT. I bet it sounds pretty boss as well. Congrats.

I have 11's on mine, but mostly out of laziness - I would have to find my screwdriver if I want to change string gauges. Most of my guitars have 10's (a 245 has 11's as well) - I've tried a lot of A/B with two DGTs strung with 10s and 11s, there was not a significant difference in sound, but definitely in feel. I like that the stiffer 11's make me play slightly differently, sometimes creativity happens.

I might be in the minority (usually am) but I try to approach each guitar as something different rather than trying to get them all to 'feel the same' or anything like that. When I want to play faster, I grab one of the guitars with a thinner neck. The DGT has a great neck carve, sounds fantastic/amazing/etc , but for some bizarre reason, it feels 'wrong' to me every time I play one that has thinner strings and doesn't want to fight back a little. That said, I am tempted to change a few sets of 10's down to 09's, if I get the gumption to hunt down my screwdriver.

Back