New PRS Custom 24. Weird G string problem. Any idea?

Yulin Huang

Just received my first PRS Custom 24 (new). Everything is perfect except that the G string gives some "noise".

All other strings sound very clean. But when the G string is played, even a single note give some hoarse sound. The noise is more noticeable around 12 frets. I don't know whether hoarse is a correct word to describe the sound. But when comparing the sound from other strings' clean sound, it's hoarse. I unplug from the amp and play it acoustically, I didn't hear any fret buzz, at least not noticeable.

I haven't met this kind of problem before, not even on my cheap guitars. Any idea what could be the problem? Is it just a bad string?

I tried to record the sound through my phone this morning. But there are too much background noise. Will try to record a better one tonight. Then probably change the strings.

I'm guessing you need to raise the action on the G string a tiny bit. Or it could be the string's ball end rattling. By the way, welcome to the forum Yulin :)

I'm guessing you need to raise the action on the G string a tiny bit. Or it could be the string's ball end rattling. By the way, welcome to the forum Yulin :)
Yes, that's what I'd try. Change that string, then try raising it a tiny bit. Welcome!

Thank you for all your replies. Now I kind of "fix" the problem.

I tried restring the G string. No help. Then raise the saddle a bit. Nope. Change the string. The "rattling" or "hoarse" sound still there. Raise the saddle a bit more. Still there.

When I almost gave up, I tried to play clean clean sound, without any effects, the "rattling" sound is gone, even with max volume on guitar!

I figured that I used to set my multi-effect pedal to play rock. I like to roll back the volume knob on the guitar to get clean sound. However, with the multi-effect setting I get used to, it might have too much gain for the G string? Don't know why all other strings sound very clean. I roll back the gain knob on the pedal to less than half way, the sound from the G string becomes very clean, comparable to other strings.

So now my question becomes is there something wrong with my guitar? Should I keep it or return it?

Try to floss the nutslot and check pickup height.Check for everything loose,screws and nuts.A trussrod cover not tight can make noises or nuts on tuners not tight for example.

Last edited:
Try to floss the nutslot and check pickup height.Check for everything loose,screws and nuts.A trussrod cover not tight can make noises or nuts on tuners not tight for example.

Thank you. You got it. I check every details of the setup. It's the pickup height! on the bass side, both pickups are higher than the spec. Adjusted the pickup height. Now it's clean even the gain cranked up to max. Really love it right now. A very good lesson for the guitar electronics. Thank you everybody.

Cool that you got that!

I had a crazy problem with a couple of notes on a P-90 guitar a few years ago. Couldn't figure it out!

Then it turned out that one of the pickups was just a bit loose in the cavity, and for whatever reason, a few notes caused it to rattle, and you could hear it through the amp. When I finally figured it out, the problem was solved in ten seconds, forever.

So you just never know! Pays to check that everything's in spec, I guess.

Back