New player help needed

guitarstrings23

[FONT=arial, sans, sans-serif]I have decided to try and learn the guitar again. This is my 4TH attempt, and I am already frustrated by the lack of progress. I have forgotten the few chords I knew how to play. I’d like to make the most progress with the least effort in the shortest time. Are there any really easy beginning chords that anyone can recommend?[/FONT]

hello. i am a beginner when it comes to playing guitar. i asked a more experienced friend and she suggested i begin by learning g cord because it is the easiest. is she correct?

The easiest first chord to learn in standard tuning is Em (E minor) in my opinion. It only needs 2 fingers and uses all the strings.

Agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^ (Em).
there are also easy ways to play a "G" chord...Youtube has to have tons of videos on these...Good luck and enjoy the journey!!!

Good to see this moved to its own thread instead of tacked onto unrelated discussions.

I don't think you will feel like you are making progress if you play one chord. Much better to pick 3 that go together and play them. This lets you mix it up. There are many sets of chords you can play in just about any order and rhythm and it will sound musical. Chords using open strings and fingered at the top end of the neck are the easiest to finger precisely.

Nothing wrong with G to start, so add C and D to that and you can play plenty of stuff without getting bored.
Add E and A and play them with the D and you have a bunch more to play.
There are lots of places to find chords. Try ones using frets 1 to 3 and you should find holding it easy.

This may seem like an obvious question, but are you trying to teach yourself? If so, that's probably why you're not progressing.

There are players who can pick up an instrument and figure it out alone. But there aren't that many. Most folks need lessons.

Yes you need some lessons to at least get you moving. Jamming with friends that know how to play better than you helps too. Once you get a handful of chords down you can put together a few songs. That will light the fire!

Two quick questions:
  • Do you know how to tune your guitar?
  • Are you able to hear a simple Major scale (doh to doh) in your head? This is not meant to come across as a demeaning question, but if you can hear a straight forward Major scale, in your head, (all 8 notes), there is not a chord you cannot put together, if you have this skill, or can develop the ability.
The ability to read music is not necessary, so that's not an issue if that's causing you difficulty.
Contact info available in my profile if you feel more comfortable conversing privately.

In the meantime .... Good Luck .... and keep at it.

Shall I keep away from certain chords, that seem quite complicated?

NO, the bottom line is if you are going to play this instrument we love you must have no fear of learning or applying yourself. I agree with all the advice on this thread, jam with an experienced friend, take some lessons, try the youtube lesson, but it starts with you not being afraid to try anything on that fretboard. You'll know right away what is hard and what is easy, you get good at the easy stuff fast and the hard stuff takes a little time, just NEVER put limits on yourself, start with the basic chords and go on from there.

I never took lessons and was able to teach myself to play several instruments, to write music, and even taught myself jazz. I just took the "I can do that" attitude and went at it, with a *CHORD BOOK*(hint..you should buy one) and a songbook of your favorite band, you should be twanging out some sounds in no time. Just remember, the more you play, the better you'll get, it's the DESIRE you have inside that will make the difference. Good luck!!!

You can try the internet for lessons, but I would go to a "live" teacher, at least to start. In addition to showing you how to finger chords in as easy a manner as possible, he will make sure that your posture is good (how you sit when you play, how you bring your arm and hand / wrist around the guitar to finger chords etc) and will make sure that you are working on usefull chord combinations that you will find in many songs. He will also work with you on your right hand technique and how to keep time. Once you become more accomplished you can start using the internet for lessons, but until you have mastered open chords and basic bar chords, I would go to a teacher. You need real feedback on how you are playing.

IMHO - A great stater song to learn easy open chords is "Take It Easy" by the Eagles

Enjoy the journey. I have 2 friends that started playing a few years ago when they were in their 50's that I have taught. Both are now playing rhythm guitar in a band. You can do it!

learn Smoke On The Water :laugh:. then a Mel Bay chord book. well thats what i did.

My old school music teacher taught us a song of the time "Mrs Brown you've got a lovely daughter" which is C Em Dm G repeated. He reckoned if you could master those four chords and play them without thinking you were well on your way to stardom, the only one I have to look at the fret board for these days is the Hendrix chord (E7♯9), I still get in a knot with that. He was right about getting the head round the chords in fact, I have several tunes that I play for practice that are similar just to keep the fingers working. He was wrong about the stardom though:(

Last edited:
Back