New Pickups Day

Silvertree

I love the smell of a PRS case in the morning.
Posting a belated new pickups day. I thought the RPs in my Modern Eagle were an okay pickups, I just wasn't blown away. I have never been a fan of the HFS/Vintage in my Custom 24. I was originally looking for 59/09s for both guitars however it's about impossible to find a covered set, completely impossible to find a reverse zebra set, and I didn't want to change the aesthetics of the guitars.

I bothered 11top for ideas and he recommended that I check out Stocktone pickups. Sherman is a small custom pickup builder out of Indiana. I sent him a message to ask him about pickups and he set up a time to chat on the phone for a bit. He asked me a bunch of questions of what I was looking for in a pickup, who my favorite players were, and what I disliked/liked in my current setup. Two weeks later I got a message they were done. A few days after that I got an USPS package.

I am blown away. These are by far my favorite set of pickups that I have ever heard. My ME just sings. My Custom 24 has come alive in a way that it hadn't before. They truly bring out the sound of my guitars. They will push an amp hard enough for high gain yet still remain clear and dynamic. Chiming clean tones? Got em. Classic rock tones? Got em. Split tones? Got em. And the neck pickups. I have never been excited about a neck pickup like I am about these neck pickups. They have a neck pickup sound without being a bit muddy. I mentioned my feelings on most neck pickups to Sherman and he said just wait. He came through in spades. To top it off, for as good as the pickup are Sherman is an even better guy. I really enjoyed talking to him. He was so relaxed, knowledgeable, and friendly. Seriously, he is good people.

I will always love the 59/09s. 58/08, and especially my 408s. I've already ordered another set for my 594. But if you can't find a PRS pickup that will fit for you, give the Stocktones a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

j1c9R3s.jpg

bnUOqTE.jpg

n5IH46Y.jpg

Maybe someday I will get over my crippling stage fright enough to post a video.

Congrats on getting what you wanted!

I’m intrigued by what questions you were asked and what your answers were that formed the basis from the genesis of your beloved pickups.

Care to share some of your Q & A?

Congrats on getting what you wanted!

I’m intrigued by what questions you were asked and what your answers were that formed the basis from the genesis of your beloved pickups.

Care to share some of your Q & A?

Sure. He asked me what style of music I play, which is classic rock to heavy rock/medal. He asked about my favorite pickups, stated above. He asked who my favorite players were, Randy Rhoads (although not his tone), Wylde, Petrucci, Gilbert, Gibbons. We talked about my favorite tones, Sharp Dressed Man, No More Tears, some of Slash’s tones, some of Petrucci’s tones, Gilmour. I did tell him that my favorite neck pickup sound was the first solo in November rain. We talked about what amps I use, which was an Axe-FX III, lately some Friedman presets. Finally he asked me to describe what I was looking for in a pickup. I stated that I was looking for a PAF 59/09 sound with maybe just a little more bite/modern edge. We chatted about wax potting vs not, I chose to former. That’s kind of a brain dump of what I remember.

How would you say these custom pickups compare to other pickups you’ve played? What makes them better? Any knowledge about the design? I’m interested.

Very cool! I'm not sure Steve has mentioned Stocktone here. I agree the RPs can be improved on, my choice was a secondhand pair of 59/09s that I lucked into.

How would you say these custom pickups compare to other pickups you’ve played? What makes them better? Any knowledge about the design? I’m interested.

In PRS I have 57/08s in a Custom 24, a 408, and a 594 with 58/15 LTs. I also have a Music Man Majesty. They have more bite than the 57/08, are a bit brighter than the 408s with the tone at 10 (although the treble rolls off nicely), more gain than the 58s but with the same clarity, and more life/color than the Majesty. I’ve never personally played through 59/09s to give a real comparison there. Sherman was willing to talk specific magnets and output however I told him I would rely on his expertise to get the sound we talked about. I don’t know about the design other than they were hand wound and potted with a beeswax. Does that help?

Thanks. You might have a card or label in/on each box that says the magnet type and DC resistance for each pickup.

Thanks. You might have a card or label in/on each box that says the magnet type and DC resistance for each pickup.

No but if you reach out to Sherman I bet he will tell you.

Any idea what a set or RPs and a set of zebra HFS/vintage are worth?

Back