New Pedalboard aka Nebulon B progress build

getting a good 3-channel amp,
Let's Explore Options Here...I Am All Ears And Willing To Help Point You In A Good Direction If You Desire. Depending On Your Core Wants And Needs, There Are A Lot Of Great Options And I Have Many Of Them So I Can Give You Honest And Experienced Feedback.

Side Note...I Like The Fillmore And Have Been Wanting One But After Hearing This I Am A Bit Hesitant Now.

Let's Explore Options Here...I Am All Ears And Willing To Help Point You In A Good Direction If You Desire. Depending On Your Core Wants And Needs, There Are A Lot Of Great Options And I Have Many Of Them So I Can Give You Honest And Experienced Feedback.

Side Note...I Like The Fillmore And Have Been Wanting One But After Hearing This I Am A Bit Hesitant Now.
Nah, brother. Fillmore is well worth the hassle. I love this amp through and through. Mesa historically was doing their own thing, often weird and questionable. Techs hate them for a reason, but they sound the bomb. The other amps I'm thinking of trying eventually are the new Boogie Mark VII and Bogner Ecstacy

You own Fillmore too. Not sure if you have noticed, but the Master Volume for each channel is located in the preamp stage, just before the FX Loop. This is not a massive issue if you are using the amp by itself, but it is starting to be problematic if you want to add the Synergy system the way the manual asks you to. With three cable method as per the manual,
Here's what I knew about the Synergy system before running my mouth:

Zero. o_O

I figured you were talking about some kind of switcher, like the Gig Rig G3! However, I just looked it up.

I run all of my pedals into the front of my amps, as ordained in ancient days by the Great Guitar Tone Gods, hallowed be their names!

To go between amps, I use a KHE amp and cab switcher.

My DG30 and HXDA don't have loops (not that I'd bother with them if they had them), and I switch the global master volume and effects loop out of my Lone Star's signal path because it sounds better to me that way. With the Fillmore, I often run the master nearly full and use the gain control as a volume control, old-school.

Clearly, my rig is based on a different philosophy, demonstrating once again that internet advice is often useless, especially mine! ;)

Nah, brother. Fillmore is well worth the hassle. I love this amp through and through. Mesa historically was doing their own thing, often weird and questionable. Techs hate them for a reason, but they sound the bomb. The other amps I'm thinking of trying eventually are the new Boogie Mark VII and Bogner Ecstacy
My guess is that wherever the loop and MV are in the Fillmore's circuit, it's because a deliberate choice has been made about how the phase inverter will operate.

As I understand it, most Mesas are post-phase-inverter MV amps, and therefore, post preamp.

The classic Tweed Deluxe circuit uses a split-load phase inverter that operates at voltages a little higher than usual and tends toward overdrive. Though the PI tube is supposedly not there to affect the tone, in practice overdriving it will affect how the amp sounds. That's supposedly part of the 5E3 Tweed magic.

So maybe it made good sonic sense in this design to have the MV before the phase inverter, i.e., in the preamp section.

It's interesting that the same pre-PI choice was made for the MV in the DG30. While the DG doesn't have a loop, the master is also ahead of the phase inverter, and the DG often reminds me of a Tweed style amp.

So while it's a little more unusual, maybe there's a reason that choice was made. The Fillmore sounds great.

I'm not an electrical engineer, and I claim no expertise regarding amp design. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn once! ;)

Last edited:
Here's what I knew about the Synergy system before running my mouth:

Zero. o_O

I figured you were talking about some kind of switcher, like the Gig Rig G3! However, I just looked it up.

I run all of my pedals into the front of my amps, as ordained in ancient days by the Great Guitar Tone Gods, hallowed be their names!

To go between amps, I use a KHE amp and cab switcher.

My DG30 and HXDA don't have loops (not that I'd bother with them if they had them), and I switch the global master volume and effects loop out of my Lone Star's signal path because it sounds better to me that way. With the Fillmore, I often run the master nearly full and use the gain control as a volume control, old-school.

Clearly, my rig is based on a different philosophy, demonstrating once again that internet advice is often useless, especially mine! ;)

Yeah, Synergy SYN-1 is new to me. I have been eyeballing Synergy Modular Preamps since they came out, and even back in Egnater times, I liked the concept. I was always on the fence, though; how come a little module could sound like a proper amp with massive transformers? I went that way because I was tired of making Fillmore a high gain. I love Texas blues on Stratocasters as much as heavy music on extended-range guitars, I had Strats and seven strings Ibanez and EBMM in the past, and I loved them the same. Fillmore is genius in what it does best, great cleans, crunches, and breakups. It can go high gain when appropriately boosted, but it doesn't behave like an excellent high-gain amp. Ok, the lows are quick but not searing, and this is where Synergy enters my rig. I tried pedals, but I generally hate overdrives; distortions are even worst. Synergy was such a natural choice. Sure, a second amp would be perfect; I was considering repurchasing Rockerverb MK3, I had so much fun with this amp, but I only have a little space, not large enough for a multiamp setup.

I'm currently running the Diezel Herbert module, blue channel, and I love it. Totally fulfilled my itch for a high-gain amp. As much as its a ballache to add it to the Fillmore, I actually have a lot of fun gearing up and having what I want

My guess is that wherever the loop and MV are in the Fillmore's circuit, it's because a deliberate choice has been made about how the phase inverter will operate.

As I understand it, most Mesas are post-phase-inverter MV amps, and therefore, post preamp.

The classic Tweed Deluxe circuit uses a split-load phase inverter that operates at voltages a little higher than usual and tends toward overdrive. Though the PI tube is supposedly not there to affect the tone, in practice overdriving it will affect how the amp sounds. That's supposedly part of the 5E3 Tweed magic.

So maybe it made good sonic sense in this design to have the MV before the phase inverter, i.e., in the preamp section.

It's interesting that the same pre-PI choice was made for the MV in the DG30. While the DG doesn't have a loop, the master is also ahead of the phase inverter, and the DG often reminds me of a Tweed style amp.

So while it's a little more unusual, maybe there's a reason that choice was made. The Fillmore sounds great.

I'm not an electrical engineer, and I claim no expertise regarding amp design. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn once! ;)
Historically first Master Volumes has been a pre-phase splitter, actually. I think Ken Fisher was the first guy to do a post-phase splitter Master Volume in his Trainwreck Pages article. This was later added to many circuits, but the pre-inverter Master is still the go-to with high gain amps where most of the gain is archived in the preamp stage, and the PA is designed to give as much headroom as possible.

But I agree with Fillmore; phenomenal sounding amp through and through. It was not designed to please Synergy users, it was made to sound great on its own

Anyway, I have started doing the power grid plan while the parts arrive, and all other stuff is pre-ordered. I will settle on this. Power will cross audio in several places, but it won't be an issue. All pedals and units are powered with DC. It's the AC power which may create problems. The only AC carrying cable will be from the socket to the DC7 PSU. I will ensure it is far enough from the pedals and the audio cables.

But I agree with Fillmore; phenomenal sounding amp through and through. It was not designed to please Synergy users, it was made to sound great on its own
There's something very seductive about the tone of the Fillmore - it's a great amp, no caveats. It can be clean as a whistle, it purrs when it starts to go over the edge, and it has a very authoritative, classic voice when it goes full-overdrive. Best of all, there's a sweet liquidity to the sound, it's not harsh.

I've said this before, but I think it's one of the two best non-high gain amps Mesa has ever made - at least, for the stuff I do.

My son, who's got considerable experience in LA playing on, engineering and producing major label records, thinks it's the best-sounding amp I own. That's a pretty good recommendation!

I tweaked mine by installing some NOS GE and RCA preamp tubes; the swap made the tone a bit sweeter, and there's no "ring" as sometimes happens with the Chinese preamp tubes they come with. The stock power tubes still sound good with it, so I haven't replaced them yet. I think Mesa sourced them from JJ, who make a good sounding 6L6 anyway.

What cab are you using with yours? I see that most of them are shipping as 1x12 combos. I went with the head.

I ordered it with a black leather covering because I’m that guy who does meaningless things to make the rig look different! There wasn't supposed to be a grille cloth; I ordered leather there, but Mesa screwed up. I like it anyway and didn't make a fuss about the error.

riScEjJ.jpg

Last edited:
There's something very seductive about the tone of the Fillmore - it's a great amp, no caveats. It can be clean as a whistle, it purrs when it starts to go over the edge, and it has a very authoritative, classic voice when it goes full-overdrive. Best of all, there's a sweet liquidity to the sound, it's not harsh.

I've said this before, but I think it's one of the two best non-high gain amps Mesa has ever made - at least, for the stuff I do.

My son, who's got considerable experience in LA playing on, engineering and producing major label records, thinks it's the best-sounding amp I own. That's a pretty good recommendation!

I tweaked mine by installing some NOS GE and RCA preamp tubes; the swap made the tone a bit sweeter, and there's no "ring" as sometimes happens with the Chinese preamp tubes they come with. The stock power tubes still sound good with it, so I haven't replaced them yet. I think Mesa sourced them from JJ, who make a good sounding 6L6 anyway.

What cab are you using with yours? I see that most of them are shipping as 1x12 combos. I went with the head.

I ordered it with a black leather covering because I’m that guy who does meaningless things to make the rig look different! There wasn't supposed to be a grille cloth; I ordered leather there, but Mesa screwed up. I like it anyway and didn't make a fuss about the error.

riScEjJ.jpg

I have two matched Fillmore 2x12s; one is stock, and the other has a 90s Mesa OEM Vintage 30. I'm looking for 90s reissue MIGB Greenback reissues, or I may order the Weber Legacy eventually because I'm a sucker for Jerry Cantrell, and this is the speaker mix he was using on Dirt and Facelift. I'm curious about your settings and the signal flow (pedals).

EDIT: Les would you mind to give me the distance between the lower deck and the bottom of the Array? I just want to double check if I will be able to hide my PSU under there

Last edited:
EDIT: Les would you mind to give me the distance between the lower deck and the bottom of the Array? I just want to double check if I will be able to hide my PSU under there
The Fillmore 2x12s sound great with them. Good call!

You'd have to have an awfully thin power supply, if memory serves; was able to run some cables underneath the lower shelf, I don't remember there being much room.

I'll measure it when I go back into the studio and let you know.

If you have a very thin power supply that fits, I want to know about it, I'll get one!

The Fillmore 2x12s sound great with them. Good call!

You'd have to have an awfully thin power supply, if memory serves; was able to run some cables underneath the lower shelf, I don't remember there being much room.

I'll measure it when I go back into the studio and let you know.

If you have a very thin power supply that fits, I want to know about it, I'll get one!
Cioks DC7 and expanders are 1" thick. I hope it's enough. Either way, all this will be a tight fit

Back