New Pedalboard aka Nebulon B progress build

It cant be that bad. Post some pictures ;)
It's that bad. Shameful.

To make matters worse, I simply used the power cables that came with the power supply instead of making custom length ones. So they just add to the rat's nest.

Maybe I'll get some of the Sommer LLX in bulk and make some new custom cables. Power cables, too. After all, I'm OCD enough to have it make sense to me even if no one else cares! ;)

Last edited:
It's that bad. Shameful.

To make matters worse, I simply used the power cables that came with the power supply instead of making custom length ones. So they just add to the rat's nest.

Maybe I'll get some of the Sommer LLX in bulk and make some new custom cables. Power cables, too. After all, I'm OCD enough to have it make sense to me even if no one else cares! ;)
I get away with it by having 3 to 4 pedals on a waaayyyyy too big of a board.;)
That and ”creative” routing.:D:p

I get away with it by having 3 to 4 pedals on a waaayyyyy too big of a board.;)
That and ”creative” routing.:D:p
I thought I planned for lots of extra space by getting the Schmidt Array 750.

And I did have extra space..for, um, a few days...

Then I got a second H9 right away, added a tuner instead of using the one in the H9, because why not, it's faster and has a better display, had to have a foot switch for the Mesas...one thing led to another. Before I knew it...no room.

The entire process of stuffing it full took about a week.

However, there's still a little room underneath the top shelf, so if I clean up the cable mess, I can use that for even more stuff I don't really need! :rolleyes:

Mogami is great cable for line level signals - I wired my bigger studio with miles of back in the 90s when my room was analog, and I still swear by it. But it has a drawback for instrument-level signals:

Fairly high capacitance, 48 pF/foot.

The Van Damme PRS uses is a little more than half that, as is the Van den Hul "The Bay" I've been using. The Evidence patch cable is about the same as the Van Damme and Van den Hul, too. The lowest capacitance cable is the Sommer LLX, 16 pF/foot. I use that for guitar to the board because I have a buffer on the board.

My guess is capacitance doesn't matter that much if you're using the Suhr buffer once you hit the board. I'm just pointing it out in case you're as OCD as I am about cable choice.

"These guys are gonna think you're nuts, man."

"They already do. I have nothing to lose!" ;)
I dont really mind a bit of capacidance, Les. I actually stopped using my Suhr buffer becouse my rig sounds better without buffered front end. I use the CAE/MXR buffer now, sending dry, non-buffered signal to the pedalboard and the buffered end to offboard Fortin Zuul to trigger the gate in Synergy loop. I use it for splitter not the buffer abillity. I like Mogami a lot. The 2319 are small diameter, easily bendable and easy to solder. I was thinking to use Sommer, I'm a big fan of their cables but as you said - if it isn't broken... I use Mogami with my boards past two years, I was a SIS guy prior to that, and a George L since forever. There is no way I will go back to solderless cables, though. They are literally giving me a stroke. The board in a way is still buffered. I have one of Secret Preamps always on, and the Compressor in my FX loop is driving the FX Loop return all the time too. I like the tone I get.

It's that bad. Shameful.

You are a pro; you are allowed ;) The general rule is - bigger pro, less tidy pedalboard

Wow, you had SA750 shipped to the States? That's a hell of a pedalboard

I dont really mind a bit of capacidance, Les... I like the tone I get.
You like the tone! That's all that matters.

Wow, you had SA750 shipped to the States? That's a hell of a pedalboard
I figured I'd need the space; I just didn't figure I'd need it so darn SOON! :eek:

I didn't get the travel lid for it. It'd just be another thing to find storage space for, so that probably made the shipping box less bulky.

I got their gig bag instead. Works great for the rare times I need to go to other studios to work, and I can stuff it into a cabinet.

When I'm out of space underneath the top shelf, but not out of GAS, I'll buy a second, smaller Schmidt for additional pedals. For whatever reason, I like working with their product.

Last edited:
You like the tone! That's all that matters.

I figured I'd need the space; I just didn't figure I'd need it so darn SOON! :eek:

I didn't get the travel lid for it. It'd just be another thing to find storage space for, so that probably made the shipping box less bulky.

I got their gig bag instead. Works great for the rare times I need to go to other studios to work, and I can stuff it into a cabinet.

When I'm out of space underneath the top shelf, but not out of GAS, I'll buy a second, smaller Schmidt for additional pedals. For whatever reason, I like working with their product.
Initially, I was thinking of going with SA650, but I did a plan in a graphic program and narrowed down my needs to SA450. I went with no lid with mine and asked for no handle and lid latches too. I rarely play jams, and I never gig. So if I ever will, I get the hard case.

Here's the plan I came up with. It's how I am going to lay things out. The Klon-ish pedal is likely to be replaced by something Skreddy. It's literally the only thing I'm not decided on

Initially, I was thinking of going with SA650, but I did a plan in a graphic program and narrowed down my needs to SA450. I went with no lid with mine and asked for no handle and lid latches too. I rarely play jams, and I never gig. So if I ever will, I get the hard case.

Here's the plan I came up with. It's how I am going to lay things out. The Klon-ish pedal is likely to be replaced by something Skreddy. It's literally the only thing I'm not decided on

That's going to be fantastic. Great pedal choices, too.

I can't wait to see how you're going to wire it up. I've never seen a board wired as beautifully as the ones you posted in this thread, even by pros. Works of art, man! So nice.

I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of doing it as well, since it's been a very long time since I've done any cable soldering. It's going to be educational for me to see how you approach running the cables to the top shelf.

With the 450, you won't need the handle. With the 750, the handle is a necessity - the width makes it unwieldy to move around by grabbing the side/bottom aluminum plates.

However, the handle looks a lot better in person than in the pictures. It's very high quality hardware, so at least there's that!

I'm heading into the studio to look at the innards of my board. Maybe I can tidy it up a little, even if it's temporary and I redo it properly later.

That's going to be fantastic. Great pedal choices, too.

I can't wait to see how you're going to wire it up. I've never seen a board wired as beautifully as the ones you posted in this thread, even by pros. Works of art, man! So nice.
You are too nice, Les. I saw some really jaw-dropping builds and will try to come close to some of them. I learned a lot since my last pedalboard build. A lot of mistakes I'm hoping to avoid this time. As I said, this is a long time coming project; I want to make it right
I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of doing it as well, since it's been a very long time since I've done any cable soldering. It's going to be educational for me to see how you approach running the cables to the top shelf.

I solder a lot, and I have a fairly good kit. Measure twice, cut once and keep your tools clean - this is the whole cable soldering secret

Gear Hero had them in red. Can you imagine what red H9 would sound like? I would buy it; I just realised I'm not a modulation type of a guy.

I had my PSUs in Gear Hero red instead ;)
I Saw Those Red Ones But Unfortunately It Was After I Just Bought 3 Black Ones...(Hangs Head In Shame).

I’ve seen some great touring boards, but none like your builds.

Ever! Not only bulletproof, but pretty!

Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship. Well deserved compliment!!
What can I say... My life is a mess, but my boards ain't

Edit: check out Omilion Audio on IG. This stuff is just a whole different level. I watch their work religiously.

Last edited:
What can I say... My life is a mess, but my boards ain't

Edit: check out Omilion Audio on IG. This stuff is just a whole different level. I watch their work religiously.

Just took a look - yeah, their stuff looks really nice, too.

Just took a look - yeah, their stuff looks really nice, too.

I will be stealing the way they do cable management for sure.

Some of the stuff I ordered started arriving, so I may be able to start sharing some ways I will be doing my pedalboard. I'm still waiting for the Array, and I'm on the waiting list for Morningstar MC6 Pro. I have just bought the MIDI Splitter and four Relay Interfaces for all the offboard stuff; I was worried they would go out of stock with these the moment they restock the MIDI board ;) Gigrig Remote Loopy is still out of stock, too but should be available early this month. I'm hoping the way to switch Fillmore preamp stage and Synergy modular system I figured will work. If it won't, I run out of ideas and will be stuck with hundreds of £ in the rig I don't need

If the synergy modular system doesn't switch the channels on the Fillmore, this will; I have one on my board and plug it into one of the outlets on the Schmidt's built in patch bay. Takes up almost no room:

If the synergy modular system doesn't switch the channels on the Fillmore, this will; I have one on my board and plug it into one of the outlets on the Schmidt's built in patch bay. Takes up almost no room:

It's not that. Les. Buying or building a simple latching footswitch wouldn't be an issue. The problem is... The amp.

Do you want a long story or a short story?

You own Fillmore too. Not sure if you have noticed, but the Master Volume for each channel is located in the preamp stage, just before the FX Loop. This is not a massive issue if you are using the amp by itself, but it is starting to be problematic if you want to add the Synergy system the way the manual asks you to. With three cable method as per the manual, Synergy SYN-1 is slaving the amp's preamp, and you can switch between the Synergy and its two channels and the amp's preamp stage with included two-button F/S. In this configuration, Synergy's master volume is bypassed, and the preamp should rely on the amp Master Volume. Unfortunately, the master, as I said, is in Fillmore preamp, which, when Synergy is in an active position, the amp's preamp is disconnected. It results in Synergy giving all its available volume to Fillmore's power amp. It lifts the skin of your face, literally. So I had to be creative by rerouting the Fillmore preamp and the Synergy (with added 25k passive Volume control - a JHS Little Black Amp Box Volume Utility Pedal) to an A/B looper and switching both remotely. This, switching the amp channels; Synergy channels will be done via one cable to the MIDI box and relay interfaces. I would be better off selling Fillmore and SYN-1 and getting a good 3-channel amp, but I love my Fillmore. It's a fruitful 3-year-long relationship. I like the Synergy preamp, too and added flexibility of choosing the high-gain flavour I'm after.

That's the short story. Then there's a problem with how to actually archive a global master volume, where to establish the FX Loop, how to do it remotely without two footswitches and multiple outs from the pedalboard and some other issues I put on myself to have exactly what I want

Last edited:
Mogami is great cable for line level signals - I wired my bigger studio with miles of back in the 90s when my room was analog, and I still swear by it. But it has a drawback for instrument-level signals:

Fairly high capacitance, 48 pF/foot.

I bought all Mogami gold connector patch cables and guitar cables for my first and second pedalboard builds because the salesman said they were the best he sold. Expensive. I recently learned of the high capacitance per foot and ordered new cable and connectors from Evidence Audio for my new build. It now makes sense why my boards lost briteness from all the capacitive loading.

And I did have extra space..for, um, a few days...

Then I got a second H9 right away, added a tuner instead of using the one in the H9, because why not, it's faster and has a better display, had to have a foot switch for the Mesas...one thing led to another. Before I knew it...no room.

The entire process of stuffing it full took about a week.

However, there's still a little room underneath the top shelf, so if I clean up the cable mess, I can use that for even more stuff I don't really need! :rolleyes:

Still havent decided on the PedalPad or the Schmidt Array. And I can’t decide how large is large enough.

Too many choices…

I bought all Mogami gold connector patch cables and guitar cables for my first and second pedalboard builds because the salesman said they were the best he sold. Expensive. I recently learned of the high capacitance per foot and ordered new cable and connectors from Evidence Audio for my new build. It now makes sense why my boards lost briteness from all the capacitive loading.

Still havent decided on the PedalPad or the Schmidt Array. And I can’t decide how large is large enough.

Too many choices…
Mogami is certainly excellent cable, if you're running line line level signals. It rejects noise well, and it lasts forever. But yeah, you experienced what I was talking about.

The pedal pad boards are super nice, as are the Schmidt. I've had both types (my son took over my mint pedal pad when I needed a larger board), and the choice might depend on how you plan to use the board. It might be 'horses for courses', unless you prefer the features and looks of one or the other, which might be important if it's going to sit in your studio or home, and you have to look at it every day.

Size for size, the Schmidt boards are lighter. For me, that's a big deal. As nice as they are in features, the wood is less thick and heavy.

The ply used on the pedal pad types is serious business, it's heavy stuff. That makes the assembled suitcase pretty darn strong. On the other hand, the large and heavy deck of the pedal pad is a little more difficult to work with than the lighter decks of the Schmidt (though they now offer piston supports), the lid weighs more, and the whole assembly is heavier.

I like carrying as little weight as possible; I'm so ancient that I might drop dead at any moment carrying something heavy! ;)

I don't need the bombproof strength and weight of the heavy plywood build of the pedal pad.

But others certainly do.

My suggestion would be if you're going to hand-carry your own pedalboard, or put it in your car with a guitar and maybe a small amp, you like the features and can live with the cost, the Schmidt is a great choice.

On the other hand, if it's going to be in a band van, truck or SUV with all the gear loaded in, where it might possibly be banged into by a 100 pound speaker cab, our jumped on by gigantic dogs or kids, and you need an extra strong case, the pedal pads are great. The pedal pads are also really nice looking; mine looked great in my studio, tan tolex with a black stripe down the middle. Beautiful piece of gear.

Last edited:
Back