New/old pickups create 2008 PRS Artist Twins

shallbe

I really like the 2008 PRS Artist guitars. They were unique in that many of them had ebony boards, and although not popular, I like the outline birds. The outline pau birds look classy on the black wood, IMO. Plus, I really like the way ebony sounds on a PRS guitar. Since Santana Yellow is my favorite PRS color, I was fortunate to find these two on the internet years ago.

The CU24 was used and the CU22 was NOS but had been sitting at a dealer for years.

The Dragon II pickups were too dark in the CU22, so for the last 5 years or so, it has had a set of Lollar Imperials in there. The pickups sounded great, but it sounded much like a p-90 guitar, probably due to the rosewood/ebony neck on this one. It really has a piano-like acoustic tone. I was hoping for a set of old PRS Artist pickups to put in there, and last week a set from 1992 popped up on Ebay. These are GREAT sounding pickups--sweet, clear and robust. I also like the uncovered look as well, and they split as good as any humbucker I have ever had. This guitar sounds pretty incredible now.

The CU24 is by far the best sounding CU24 I have ever played, and it is stock and very resonant. The only thing I did was clip the treble bleed on the volume pot. The guitar is very chimey and clear, not congested at all, unlike a lot of CU24's I have played. It has a very fat neck for a standard carve---really a WF size. The owner sold it because the neck was too big.

Anyway, now they both sound the way I hoped and look pretty similar. I play relatively clean thru a Matchless most of the time, and these make me smile.

Congrats - great looking guitars - Why not put the same pickups in both guitars (just for experimental purposes of course) and run a tone test?

Nice!Wait, what? Please tell me that's not what it sounds like (a single cap, high-pass filter).

I guess so. It is attached to the volume pot and I dislike the way they sound. I clip it out of every PRS. It sounds a little fake to me. Whatever it is called it retains your high end when you turn down the guitar, but I don't like it.

Congrats - great looking guitars - Why not put the same pickups in both guitars (just for experimental purposes of course) and run a tone test?

I really don't want to change anything about the CU24. It sounds ideal to me now. Secondly, the Artist pickups in gold and good shape are hard to come by. Lastly, these guitars will always have sonic differences due to different bridges and neck woods.

I'm happy that the CU22 now has the classic uncovered PRS black pickup look, with a great PRS pickup in the guitar. They should reissue the Artist pickups.

Sweet!

Incidentally, I'm a fan of the outline birds m'self, and have them on my PS Tonare acoustic. I think they're called J-birds(?).

I guess so. It is attached to the volume pot and I dislike the way they sound. I clip it out of every PRS. It sounds a little fake to me. Whatever it is called it retains your high end when you turn down the guitar, but I don't like it.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm going to have to investigate doing that myself.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm going to have to investigate doing that myself.

One thing you can do is clip one leg of the cap and pull back and listen. If you want it back on just bend it back and solder that one connection. If you decide you want it out, just clip both legs and you are done. No soldering iron needed.

That's actually a good suggestion, especially to me -- I'd probably be the one to clip both legs then listen. Thanks!

That's actually a good suggestion, especially to me -- I'd probably be the one to clip both legs then listen. Thanks!

I'm sure it doesn't matter to some, but it makes a difference to me. I use my volume pot a lot, and my amps are running pretty loud but pretty clean. I think I hear it wide open, but certainly when backing off the volume, the sound just gets thin and much of its appeal. It sounds fake, IMO.

Back