New Music from Billy Gibbons!

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
Rev. Willy G.! He's got a new side/solo/??? project called Billy Gibbons and The BFGs. New album entitled "Perfectamundo" out any day now with a tour to follow.

Here's "Treat Her Right".

Goldtop Lloyd

Note to Mr. Gibbons: PLEASE play Amarillo!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the CD on pre-order and already have tickets to the Austin show December 4th at the Moody.
They're in Lubbock the next day on 12/5. It's a very long shot at best, but I'm hoping. Never say never!

Good luck with yours!

Goldtop Lloyd

Got the CD yesterday and had the chance today to load it up into 'The Stereo'. It's Texas R&B meets Latin Percussion with a dose of 21st century production and a huge helping of the most incredible guitar tones: loud and buttery with 'that edge' with a few 'whistles' thrown in for good measure too. Like most of The World's Great Tonemasters, within the first measure you know exactly who is playing. Best part is he isn't and doesn't have to 'carry the song' like in ZZ Top. His buddies backing him up do those jobs very well indeed. A fantastic mix and must be played LOUD.

Highly Recommended.

http://www.billygibbons.com/

Thanks- Tone for days! Can't wait tot see him on tour (again).:top:

Can't wait to here the entire new CD (or album - not sure what this is called these days)!
BTW - Roy Buchanan does a great version of Treat Her Right as well.

Rev. Willy G.! He's got a new side/solo/??? project called Billy Gibbons and The BFGs. New album entitled "Perfectamundo" out any day now with a tour to follow.

Here's "Treat Her Right".

Goldtop Lloyd

Note to Mr. Gibbons: PLEASE play Amarillo!!!

I wanted to like it buuuuuuut... I don't think I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to like it buuuuuuut... I don't think I do.

Same here. I like Latin rhythms but they didn't lay well with the attempted blues lines. Maybe I was after Latin and what I got was Cuban. I'm not really sure of the difference, but I think there were better ways to put the two together.

Rev. Willy! I may get a copy today, but the big news is that I may get to go to the Lubbock gig. Here's hoping! Perfectamundo indeed.

Goldtop

Same here. I like Latin rhythms but they didn't lay well with the attempted blues lines. Maybe I was after Latin and what I got was Cuban. I'm not really sure of the difference, but I think there were better ways to put the two together.

This cut is not the strongest on the album.

You know what turned me off instantly? The whole over-sexualisation thing.
So tired of the thinking that sexing things up will sell!

I don't want to intrude on your unique sense of what is real in the world, but..uhm, well, the thinking that sexing things up will work, well...I'm sorry that I have to be the one to break this to you: it actually does work. Sex sells. That's a proven fact.

In fact, it sells even if anyone or everyone's tired of the thinking.

That's because people really, really like sex for the most part. In fact, I like it, even though I'm old. Very old. Though not as old-looking as Billy Gibbons, who I stood in line next to in LA recently, and the dude looks like he's 100. I'm old, but not 100. He had a lot of cologne on, and a very fancy Western suit, too.

But back to sex for a moment.

In fact, sex even sells food. Kind of ironic, isn't it? People need food more than they need sex, and yet they use sex to sell food. It's just one of those things, I guess.

But since the song itself is about gettin' some at night if you treat the woman right...well...it kind of fits, doesn't it?

Last edited:

ZZ TOP has been singing about sexual subject matter for a very, very, very long time. I'd be surprised if BG came out with a record which didn't have that base covered.

Here's a video where Mr.Gibbons explains the concept of his solo experimental project.

The guitar tones, percussion, mix and production on this album, to me, is right on the money and sounds fantastic good and loud.

Some tracks are stronger than others, but that's to be expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXSQn00cXj4

Here's a video where Mr.Gibbons explains the concept of his solo experimental project.

The guitar tones, percussion, mix and production on this album, to me, is right on the money and sounds fantastic good and loud.

Some tracks are stronger than others, but that's to be expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXSQn00cXj4

Thanks so much for sharing this- I never knew he took lessons from Tito Puente!

Can't wait to see him in Austin soon.

The new issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine (Jan. 2016) is out, and The Reverend is the cover story. (Cover photo is of him and The Peeler.) The article is just three or four pages long, but it's quality. Included are pics of some of the pieces he'll be using on the Perfectamundo tour. Check it out at a local bookstore while they still exist. Willy G.!!!

Speaking of the tour, as it stands today I'll be catching the Lubbock date on Dec. 5th. Everything I've got is crossed!

Goldtop Lloyd

P.S. - In the same issue of VG is a Holiday Gift Guide for us guitar people, as well as obituaries for Chris Squire, Smokin' Joe Kubek, Joe Dobbs, and "Lady Bo" Peggy Malone. A rough year for the music world.

Last edited:
The PR machine is in gear...

Billy is in as least two other magazines right now. The December 2015 issue of "Premier Guitar" (cover story = Gear of the Year) has a big article on Billy, The BFGs, and the new album with bits of an interview mixed in. And the current issue of "Rolling Stone" (issue #1248) includes a few pages of Billy discussing some of his favorite tunes, ZZ Top or otherwise. The cover is a picture of Adele looking all soggy and moody. (There's also a review of the album - three out of five stars.)

The tour is only days away! :beer:

Goldtop

Went to the show last night, they opened with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LvAuWNwO5A

Several things. Instead of a car they had a bike(not a motorcycle) on stage as a prop.(Name of his publisher is 'Bicycle') The chick drummer on the left had her 'real' long hair, and the one on the right didn't have the 'stunt' beehive. Billy 'played' through a pair of stacked Magnatone Super Thirty's(3500 each retail) but covered in blond, not black. Only one amp had a mike. Since I was to the right of the stage, I heard more PA than direct. He played a two tone tele-style, blue/yellow.

They came on stage at 850 and the set stopped at 950. One hour. 12 tunes. 9 from the album and three others 'The Drifter' and 'Everybody Get High', '10 Foot Pole'.

With extended blues jams, the Clapton format: Guitar, Organ, Piano, Guitar. We got up and left to skip the encore, but as we were leaving I hear the opening chords of 'Tush'. This was more of a 'club' set rather than a 'show'. There were no visuals at all. Zero. The 2 gal drummers were the show for me. Telepathic playing...serious full stroke snare work.

Billy's tone?...Really, really compressed and smooth. Not much 'edge' or volume to the guitar at all. Like you'd take your Compressor Pedal and dial it way up. Not my 'cup of tea', so to speak.

Not that an exciting show, casual and friendly, but pretty good from a Living Legend.

Back