New Member? Welcome! Info about your new account inside

Hi everyone! Lewguitar here.

I'm 73 and have been playing guitar about 60 years. Started off with with a Harmony acoustic, then a Harmony Rocket electric and eventually got a Fender Jaguar.

Traded the Jaguar for a real '56 Gibson goldtop Les Paul with P90's that I wish I still had.

Those vintage guitars were just used guitars in those days, although some of us sought them out and knew they were special.

I gigged professionally in the 60's, 70's and 80's and even did a solo singer/songwriter thing and played mostly acoustic guitar for a while.

I retired to become a furniture maker and designer but never stopped playing and improving.

Played a lot at Unity of Boulder and other non-traditional churches.

Some people think I'm a blues guitarist and others think I'm a solo acoustic guitarist, but i love almost all music.

I have a few PRS guitars. Some old ('92 CU22 and '02 CU22) and some new (white Silver Sky SE and green Silver Sky SE - both 2022 models).

I also some Singlecut SE guitars modded with Seymour Duncan pickups. Those guitars are excellent platforms for pickup mods and they can sound and play as good as any Core model PRS guitars with just a few tweaks.

That's about it!

Thanks, Lew
Welcome Lewguitar!
Looking forward to your pics.

Hi everyone! Lewguitar here.

I'm 73 and have been playing guitar about 60 years. Started off with with a Harmony acoustic, then a Harmony Rocket electric and eventually got a Fender Jaguar.

Traded the Jaguar for a real '56 Gibson goldtop Les Paul with P90's that I wish I still had.

Those vintage guitars were just used guitars in those days, although some of us sought them out and knew they were special.

I gigged professionally in the 60's, 70's and 80's and even did a solo singer/songwriter thing and played mostly acoustic guitar for a while.

I retired to become a furniture designer, maker and ran my own store in Boulder for 30 years, but never stopped playing and improving.

Played a lot at Unity of Boulder and other non-traditional churches.

Some people think I'm a blues guitarist and others think I'm a solo acoustic guitarist, but i love almost all music.

I have a few PRS guitars. Some old ('92 CU22 and '02 CU22) and some new (white Silver Sky SE and green Silver Sky SE - both 2022 models).

I also some Singlecut SE guitars modded with Seymour Duncan pickups. Those guitars are excellent platforms for pickup mods and they can sound and play as good as guitars costing 4X as much with just a few simple tweaks.

That's about it!

Thanks, Lew
Congratulations on 60 years of playing!

Congratulations on 60 years of playing!
Thanks! Hard to believe it myself sometimes but it's true.

Started off playing a broom after seeing Elvis in 1956, graduated to a plastic Roy Rogers guitar that couldn't be tuned or played and then finally my mom bought me a harmony acoustic and some Kingston Trio records. :) Thanks mom!

For sure! What PRS electric would you steer a 66 year old to?
I have been playing for two years now and practicing almost every day.
Hard not to recommend something from the SE series.

Do you like Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits kind of music and guitar tones?

Those guys are all Strat players and a SE Silver Sky would be the ticket! I think the SE Silver Sky is one of the best Strat type guitars I've ever owned and I'd choose it over 95% of the Strats out there.

You can find new SE Silver Sky guitars for $850 or less and used ones for around $700.

If you're not into single coil guitar sounds, and want humbucking pickups, there's the SE Santana guitars. Those are around $830 new.

The SE Standard is around $650 new and gets good reviews too.

Now's a good times because a lot of dealers are having sales.

I'm sure the other members will have some suggestions too.

Hard not to recommend something from the SE series.

Do you like Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits kind of music and guitar tones?

Those guys are all Strat players and a SE Silver Sky would be the ticket! I think the SE Silver Sky is one of the best Strat type guitars I've ever owned and I'd choose it over 95% of the Strats out there.

You can find new SE Silver Sky guitars for $850 or less and used ones for around $700.

If you're not into single coil guitar sounds, and want humbucking pickups, there's the SE Santana guitars. Those are around $830 new.

The SE Standard is around $650 new and gets good reviews too.

Now's a good times because a lot of dealers are having sales.

I'm sure the other members will have some suggestions too.
Thank you Lew! My music taste is all over. I think I would like a wider flatter fretboard than my Squier Strat…and better pickups. I am really enjoying playing scales over a jam or looper...probably mostly blues.
I need to go to a good shop and try different PRS models. Stay tuned…or In Tune! Does this forum have a classified section? Cheers!

Thank you Lew! My music taste is all over. I think I would like a wider flatter fretboard than my Squier Strat…and better pickups. I am really enjoying playing scales over a jam or looper...probably mostly blues.
I need to go to a good shop and try different PRS models. Stay tuned…or In Tune! Does this forum have a classified section? Cheers!
Sounds like you'd like the SE Silver Sky. What you described is exactly what it has to offer. Flatter fretboard and much better pickups than you'll find in a Squier.

Last edited:
Hello groovy people. Bought my first PRS in 1988. Second in 1991. Both of those were victims of a huge chemo-therapy bill. Just purchased a PRS SE Custom 24. Back in '88, before the net, I sent a handwritten letter to "THE ULTIMATE CREATOR" asking how the wing nut locking tuners worked. Ended the letter with " May God bless the PRS company". Am so glad to see that prayer answered.

Last edited:
Hello groovy people. Bought my first PRS in 1988. Second in 1991. Both of those were victims of a huge chemo-therapy bill. Just purchased a PRS SE Custom 24. Back in '88, before the net, I sent a handwritten letter to "THE ULTIMATE CREATOR" asking how the wing nut locking tuners worked. Ended the letter with " May God bless the PRS company". Am so glad to see that prayer answered.
Welcome FlaGuitars!
Hope all is well and glad to have you back in the fold.

hello everyone, just a PRS SE Custom owner here...but loving the PRS /Korean made quality. as i understand it all SE's get QC'd back in Stevensville? my year of mfg is 2019 i'm guessing with the T serial #....

Looking forward to gaining mucho PRS knowledge from everyone here :) :) and contributing where i am able... :)
Yep, everything gets an additional QC check in Stevensville. Welcome to the forum.

Back