New Member? Welcome! Info about your new account inside

Hi! I posted to the "introduce yourself" thread and received some warm welcomes. (Thanks!)

I then posted to the General thread about which PRS to choose and it's been waiting for a moderator to approve since yesterday. Does it usually take awhile to process those?

Just another guy with a guitar here. I currently own an older single cut (unmodded bought used for $200), an older custom 24 with moon inlays (tusq nut added bought used for $300) and a 2022 custom 24 (prs locking tuners, tusq nut on the way, seymour duncan hotrodded hum bucker set, dunlop strap locks, brass bridge block on the way. Bought new)

Ive been playing for 25 years now both amateur and professionally. I also play bass, drums, piano, mandolin. Favorite styles of music is blues and rock. Not much into the extreme heavy metal.

I am a tattoo artist and body piercer by trade and also have an unhealthy obsession with custom cars and trucks.

I look forward to meeting new people and learning more about these great guitars.

Hello…
Self-taught string plucker for two years now.
Have yet to touch a PRS, but seem to gravitate that way.
Currently have a Squier Strat and a couple of acoustics…Tacoma and Yahaha.

I tried to send a message to one of our fellow West Michigan members, but am not yet allowed…understandably.

I will try to paste the note here and hope for advice.
Thank you!
Happy New Year!

I live in West Michigan.
May I please ask you a couple of questions?
I started guitar two years ago…played ukulele 12 years.
Self taught via internet…committed…practicing daily…love it (retired).
John Prine, Led Zep, X, Mountain, Neil…
I love to play and sing…good voice.
I have a few acoustics and Squiers. I am considering an upgrade with electric…
and have always gravitated towards a PRS…but have yet to hold one.
What dealers do you prefer in Michigan?
Also…can you recommend a guitarist who teaches more like a therapist?
I took one lesson in Holland…and it was just too step by step and confining.
I would prefer to meet once or twice a month for an hour at least and touch on
different things…theory, physical aspects…chording, posture…, songs…
…and then some…”try practicing this…”…both playing guitar…

Back when I took golf instruction, I took lessons with the step by step PGA instructors, but learned much more from an Ex-PGA…instructor, yoga teacher, psychologist…
Catch my drift sorta?

I would most appreciate any thoughts or advice here.
Thank you!

Hi Tad, welcome to the forum.

I’m hoping this will encourage @LSchefman to pop by, as I’m pretty sure he’s in the Michigan area.

Great to have you here.

You can start where you like with PRS. The SE models are a great gateway drug.

I have an SE245 which is the PRS take on another well known American made single cut guitar (wink wink). It’s a great guitar out of the box and also a platform for modification.

I also have a core Santana model, that is amazing.

Hopefully you get your hands on some PRS guitars and find one (or two) that you like.
As far as teachers are concerned, I have nothing, I’m in Scotland. However there are lots of options online too, with zoom (or similar) lessons.

Happy hunting.

Hi Tad, welcome to the forum.

I’m hoping this will encourage @LSchefman to pop by, as I’m pretty sure he’s in the Michigan area.

Great to have you here.

You can start where you like with PRS. The SE models are a great gateway drug.

I have an SE245 which is the PRS take on another well known American made single cut guitar (wink wink). It’s a great guitar out of the box and also a platform for modification.

I also have a core Santana model, that is amazing.

Hopefully you get your hands on some PRS guitars and find one (or two) that you like.
As far as teachers are concerned, I have nothing, I’m in Scotland. However there are lots of options online too, with zoom (or similar) lessons.

Happy hunting.
Well Cheers! Thank you for the info and the kind welcome! Tad

Hi everyone! Lewguitar here.

I'm 73 and have been playing guitar about 60 years. Started off with with a Harmony acoustic, then a Harmony Rocket electric and eventually got a Fender Jaguar.

Traded the Jaguar for a real '56 Gibson goldtop Les Paul with P90's that I wish I still had.

Those vintage guitars were just used guitars in those days, although some of us sought them out and knew they were special.

I gigged professionally in the 60's, 70's and 80's and even did a solo singer/songwriter thing and played mostly acoustic guitar for a while.

I retired to become a furniture designer, maker and ran my own store in Boulder for 30 years, but never stopped playing and improving.

Played a lot at Unity of Boulder and other non-traditional churches.

Some people think I'm a blues guitarist and others think I'm a solo acoustic guitarist, but i love almost all music.

I have a few PRS guitars. Some old ('92 CU22 and '02 CU22) and some new (white Silver Sky SE and green Silver Sky SE - both 2022 models).

I also some Singlecut SE guitars modded with Seymour Duncan pickups. Those guitars are excellent platforms for pickup mods and they can sound and play as good as guitars costing 4X as much with just a few simple tweaks.

That's about it!

Thanks, Lew

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Lewguitar here.

I'm 73 and have been playing guitar about 60 years. Started off with with a Harmony acoustic, then a Harmony Rocket electric and eventually got a Fender Jaguar.

Traded the Jaguar for a real '56 Gibson goldtop Les Paul with P90's that I wish I still had.

Those vintage guitars were just used guitars in those days, although some of us sought them out and knew they were special.

I gigged professionally in the 60's, 70's and 80's and even did a solo singer/songwriter thing and played mostly acoustic guitar for a while.

I retired to become a furniture maker and designer but never stopped playing and improving.

Played a lot at Unity of Boulder and other non-traditional churches.

Some people think I'm a blues guitarist and others think I'm a solo acoustic guitarist, but i love almost all music.

I have a few PRS guitars. Some old ('92 CU22 and '02 CU22) and some new (white Silver Sky SE and green Silver Sky SE - both 2022 models).

I also some Singlecut SE guitars modded with Seymour Duncan pickups. Those guitars are excellent platforms for pickup mods and they can sound and play as good as any Core model PRS guitars with just a few tweaks.

That's about it!

Thanks, Lew

Welcome to the Enabler's Club! What PRS model can we convince you you should buy?;)

Welcome to the Enabler's Club! What PRS model can we convince you you should buy?;)
Only one I'm curious about is the new McCarty. I hear the new ones have new paf style pickups that are killer and that the guitar itself has been improved a bunch.

I tried one when they first came out years ago and really wanted to love it but felt it wasn't quite "there" yet. But I hear now they are!

I think Paul's new single coils that he puts in the Silver Sky guitars are amazing and I'd like to hear his new paf style humbuckers.

Just picked up a second Silver Sky SE that was used but still like new for $699. Love it!

Wish it was easier to post photos here. I don't see any.

You have to make the obligatory number of posts before you can post photos, then you need to use a third party host. I use Imgur.
So why don't members post many pictures? One thing about this forum is that the look is kind of bland. The people are nice and knowledgeable tho, and there's no flaming. That alone sets it apart from most guitar and gear forums!

So why don't members post many pictures? One thing about this forum is that the look is kind of bland. The people are nice and knowledgeable tho, and there's no flaming. That alone sets it apart from most guitar and gear forums!
There are plenty of pictures around... look for NGD posts where we post pics of our new gear(like this one for example https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/ngd-private-stock-8766.53513/) and the Private Stock Friday thread is always killer and has over 14,200 posts!

Back