New Member. Want to be schooled!

sportrider24

Hi there! I'm a new member and new to Paul Reed Smith Core guitars. I have owned several SE models in the past and felt that they were all very on par with other manufacturers but I recently purchased a used Paul Reed Smith Core Mira 2008 Limited Edition at an absolute steal of a price and immediately fell in love with it (see avatar). I am absolutely blown away by the playability, sound clarity, quality and workmanship of this guitar!!

I've been highly considering getting back into motorcycles recently and was determined to buy a used bike over winter when my wife expressed her deep concern with the dangers of riding (which an accident I was lucky enough to walk away from without a scratch was the reason I stopped riding in the first place). My wife suggested that I take my motorcycle budget and get a nice guitar instead. This really got my hamster wheel turning and I immediately thought about another core model PRS with a highly figured top! I started doing some research looking online at the 2017 PRS catalog which shows the different models and shows MAP. There is a lot of info and options to consider. I plan on going to a local mom and pop and local GC and playing everything I can. Both have a very limited stock though. Here's a question... Let's say I want a Custom 24 in Trampas Green, 10top with a pattern thin neck and they don't have this guitar in stock but tell me they will order it. A) Would this be considered a custom order and cost more money? B) Would it literally take months to get in? I feel like PRS quality is high enough that I could order right from a high volume retailer like Sweetwater and there is also the consideration of the 9% tax increase buying locally (which could even make the difference whether I get a 10top or not). I'm not saying it's make or break but $390-$400 is a lot of cash.

I agree with your wife. I rode when I was single and had a pretty serious accident (dog ran across a highway at night and got wrapped up in my front wheel). If you have a family, it's just not worth it.

As for the guitar:
A) No
B) Depends on what they have in the pipeline.
C) Yes (ordering online is a no brainer) Just find the guitar you want online and buy with confidence. But your 9% is asked of you by your friendly tax man when you do your taxes in April. Just a reminder. Puts Mom and Pop back on a level playing field.

I'd buy from sweetwater. You are right in thinking that PRS quality is high enough that you can buy online in most cases. Of course, its better to play the instrument you want in person, but PRS has an excellent record for quality. I think it's one of the reasons PRS has grown so much in the period of internet shopping and will remain successful for a long time.

I agree with your wife. I rode when I was single and had a pretty serious accident (dog ran across a highway at night and got wrapped up in my front wheel). If you have a family, it's just not worth it.

I was passing Tropicana truck filled with oranges at about 50 miles an hour. It was going about the same speed in the opposite direction and an orange flew out and hit me in the chest. Knocked me right off the bike.

Good find. Those core Miras are fantastic - in fact apart from a McCarty or maybe a good CE22 it’s really the only PRS I especially want. I’m constantly on the lookout for one with a Pattern or Wide Fat neck and one of the natural wood finishes at a decent price (& if one appears when I have managed not to spend my guitar fund on an amp or a family wedding one day then I will have one!)

Sadly in the UK we pay in £’s what you guys pay on $’s. Good old Brexit, truly foxed it up for us as far as purchasing lovely US guitars.
For example PRS CE 24 10 top from Sweetwater $4k. Andertons in UK same guitar nearly £4k! Thanks to import duty at 20% as well as all the other lovely taxes. Not fair!!

Sadly in the UK we pay in £’s what you guys pay on $’s. Good old Brexit, truly foxed it up for us as far as purchasing lovely US guitars.
For example PRS CE 24 10 top from Sweetwater $4k. Andertons in UK same guitar nearly £4k! Thanks to import duty at 20% as well as all the other lovely taxes. Not fair!!
Ouch!!!

I am absolutely blown away by the playability, sound clarity, quality and workmanship of this guitar!!.

IMHO it's a no-brainer. Buy your dream guitar. You can always swap the pickups if you want something different. Fit and finish is second to none. Quality of craftsmanship is top notch. Get it!!

You remember what we did about those King George taxes right? Just sayin... ;)

And don’t think about ordering one direct from the US. Between the import tax, carriage costs and cites regulations, it would be easier to just to pay the extra £1k at the guitar store. It’s almost like Teresa May (Prime Minister) doesn’t want me to be happy (growl!!).

And don’t think about ordering one direct from the US. Between the import tax, carriage costs and cites regulations, it would be easier to just to pay the extra £1k at the guitar store. It’s almost like Teresa May (Prime Minister) doesn’t want me to be happy (growl!!).

If you drive a car I’ll tax the street
If you try to sit I’ll tax your seat,
If you get too cold I’ll tax the heat
If you take a walk I’ll tax your feet

Taxman!

— Beatles, 1966

Thus as it ever was, and ever shall be. ;)

If you drive a car I’ll tax the street
If you try to sit I’ll tax your seat,
If you get too cold I’ll tax the heat
If you take a walk I’ll tax your feet

Taxman!

— Beatles, 1966

Thus as it ever was, and ever shall be. ;)
I especially love the tax on tax

Back