New member, stoptail studs

casset

Hi everyone,

this is my first post, I've posted the following in other forums, hope someone can help me:

The tailpiece studs on my SC 25th anniversary were too tight, I just wanted to get a lower action and I couldn't do it, was quite difficult to take them out, I needed a large tool and a lot of effort, the thing is that I ordered some more studs at the Europe dealer, and they have the like vertical lines, wich deforms the thread under my point of view,they were too tight due to the vertical lines on the threads , are this lines normal? Common? The old ones and the new ones have the same vertical lines on the threads, 3 each stud, does anyone have the same???
see photo.
cidee919c815e0544e7bd0f.jpg

My first thought is they would allow any lubricant to more easily flow down the threads and back out if the bolts would ever get stuck.

Personally, I'm glad that my unplated brass studs on my Cu22 don't have the play that some other bridge studs have. It keeps the studs from creeping and causing intonation or action issues (I had some 2 post tremolos that would actually work themselves into a different position and mess up the action).

Have you ever seen the same in other studs? in this a common thing?

I had a similar issue with a new guitar and PRS Customer Service told me it was normal. I went around with them a few times to no resolve. The solution for me was to source a set of older, used studs that did not have that "feature". The Tone Pros locking studs also do the trick.

The threads are split to help keep from working themselves out as Baimun suggested. I think the guitar that I had also had deformed anchors, or at the very least anchors with some taper to them.

So the best solution is get some older studs without the thread splited?
Baimun, the studs on your CU, do they have splited theads?

An small amount of play between the stud and the bushing is normal, isn't it?

casset said:
An small amount of play between the stud and the bushing is normal, isn't it?
Depends on the guitar. Tight studs are part of the design on a lot of the new models.

Hi again,

Here's PRS PTC response:

Hello,

Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. Yes the vertical lines are normal which allows the studs to be snug and provide bridge stability and better sound transfer.

I hope you find this information helpful. Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars.

Paul Reed Smith Guitars
Customer Service

Once the plating was removed, there was more play than Paul was happy with. We added the grooves to the studs for a while, but ultimately decided to go with a tighter tolerance with the threads. The newest studs won't have the grooves

Once the plating was removed, there was more play than Paul was happy with. We added the grooves to the studs for a while, but ultimately decided to go with a tighter tolerance with the threads. The newest studs won't have the grooves

Hi, where can I get one set of the NEW studs?

To Shawn@PRS:

Where can I get one set of the NEW studs?
Meanwhile I have my 25th Anniversary SC unstrung with no tension on the neck truss rod.
I'm from Europe any way to send me a set or two set of the new studs, with no groove?

Thanks a lot for your time.
Kind regards

Your dealer/distributor can order a set of rePlacement studs for you.

No worries about the truss rod. It is a dual action rod which can bow or flex the neck

Your dealer/distributor can order a set of rePlacement studs for you.

No worries about the truss rod. It is a dual action rod which can bow or flex the neck

Hi,

That's what I did and they sent me those on the picture I posted, any other way to get the new ones without grooves and les play as you said?

Hi,

That's what I did and they sent me those on the picture I posted, any other way to get the new ones without grooves and les play as you said?

Any chance to get the new studs straight from PRS factory or online shop? I from Europe

To Clarify........

--Will the new "tighter studs" work in older bushings, say from 1999?

--Will the new studs in the older bushings, say from 1999, form tighter stud/bushing contact similar to the new models?

This seems like the start of a good idea.

A lot of us went to the Tone Pro locking studs and saw a significant improvement over the older stock units.
They seemed to work best in lighter weight guitars.

Add the lock down cap feature found on the Tone Pro units with the new tighter fitting studs and this should be a significant upgrade.
......Taking it to the next step of improving stud/bushing contact...that should be the best of the best....

To Clarify........

--Will the new studs in the older bushings, say from 1999, form tighter stud/bushing contact similar to the new models?

A lot of us went to the Tone Pro locking studs and saw a significant improvement over the older stock units.

Add the lock down cap feature found on the Tone Pro units with the new tighter fitting studs and this should be a significant upgrade.
......Taking it to the next step of improving stud/bushing contact...that should be the best of the best....

The TonePros worked quite well on this 7.0 pound Korina McCarty. I really like the feel of the PRS one piece bridge, and remember another luthier who I know many of you respect say that he thought it was brilliant. Love the combination with this guitar in particular.
photo4.jpg

My ME1 still has the stock PRS TP studs.

Last edited:
To Clarify........

Hi guys,

I just want to remind everyone that this forum is will not replace the function of PRS customer service, this forum is just a place for folks to get together and talk about gear. If you have a specific question for PRS, please contact us at [email protected]

The studs and stud wells are compatible throughout the production of these parts. The tolerances have changed, but the compatibility has not.

Thanks.

Thanks...
Would like to try the tighter fitting studs in one of my guits.

Back