New member PRS CE 22

RockinJim

Picked this 1998 CE 22 up for a borderline steal of $850 shipped....mint condition...You might find a solid color late 90s CE around this price but I don't think you see many flametops below $1,000 used. In any event, first real PRS in the collection even if it's missing the birds. LOL

Last edited:
OK so...excuse my ignorance. And my laziness. I COULD google it and find out I suppose but this is much more fun ;-)
The CE(22?) is re-released correct? Like you can buy a NEW CE? But only the 22?
What pups? Is it still a "budget" PRS? If you dont mind my asking (not asking what YOU paid OP), how much are they?

IF I HAD to sell all my PRSs except one...I think I'd probably be keeping my '94 CE24 with the WT carve. My Studio is currently my #1 stage guitar. My McSoapy is my amazing puking slide pig and gets some stagetime and the CE does make appearances as my Dropped D stage guitar (only one song and not every show), but yeah...if I could keep only one, it would be the CE.
It was my first PRS. It's my rarest PRS..definitely not the most expensive one..and it's the one that is moulded to my hands after maybe thousands of play hours on it..probably only hundreds of hours actually...ANYWAY,
It's great to see CE love and (if it is the case) it's awesome to see them available again. I'm interested in knowing though about whether or not, now that the SE is the budget line, are the CEs still considered "budget"? I don't think that the current bolt-on offerings from PRS USA (like the SAS etc) are necessarily considered or priced as budget models. And I do realize that it wasnt just the bolt on neck that made the CEs budget models, they also had less figured tops usually than the CU or others...in fact they were often opaque. Mine is crimson red but it originally sported a burst finish. It's crossed-out in the pup cavity and the new color, the red is pencilled-in so it is a factory re-paint. Musta been a blem or just not figured highly enough to merrit a burst finish???

I LOVE my CE!!
I probably love the Studio more (it is my fave EVER) but I have a connection to the CE that runs deeper than my bond with the Studio...so far at least. And besides...I can buy a Studio any old day. CEs are easy to find too but finding one like mine probably not so easy.
It just fits me perfectly especially the neck. Since back in the WF and WT day the carves werent completely and perfectly consistent, I doubt I'd find another CE with the same neck as this one.

HAPPY CE22 Day OP!!!
NICE axe!

Nice looking CE!

I'm pretty sure they did not rerelease the CE22. You're probably thinking of the Custom 22.

Sorry for the font color in my original post...being a new member, I didn't realize the moderator had to review and approve all new posts.....I got it for cheap with matteo blue maple flame top....I am well schooled on guitars but not necessarily PRS guitars. I've owned a couple SE's in the past but I consider this one to be my first 'real PRS'. I don't think they reissued the CE 22 but I think there is a 20th anniversary model. It was shipped today. I will post more pics after I clean it up, set it up, etc.

Last edited:
Not supposed to mention prices on here , but wow...you got a hell of a deal!

Back