NEW MEMBER,P22 EFFECTS HELP!!!!!

Guerreromex

I JUST GOT GOOD DEAL ON P22 AT G.C. COUPLE WEEKS AGO,I LOVE THIS GUITAR-RUNNING ELECTRIC INPUT TO MESA ROADSTER AND ACOUSTIC INPUT TO P.A.,BUT HAVE ALSO RAN IT TO ACOUSTIC BRAND BASS RIG.....NOW IM JUST WANTING A GOOD REVERB AND DELAY PEDAL,BUT SHOULD I GET STEREO PEDALS SO I CAN RUN FROM GUITAR TO PEDALS TO AMPS.....PLEASE HELP ME KNOW WHAT BEST CHOICE IS...I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT CARL MARTIN DELAY AND REVERB-BUT THEY ARE MONO....ALSO HAVE LOOKED AT TC ELECTRONIC FOR STEREO,AND STRYMON.....

LOOKING FOR BOTH SIDES I GUESS DONT KNOW IF IT WOULD SOUND RIGHT WITH EFFECTS ON ONE SIDE,BUT STILL ROOKIE WITH EFFECTS.....I HAVE REVERB ON MESA ROADSTER BUT REALLY DONT LIKE IT.....

Well, there are a plethora of effects out there (some thing like 1800 overdrive/distortion alone). I would start with finding a sound you like, like maybe some Eric Clapton or Jim Root or Kirk Hammet or David Grissom and start looking at what they use for that sound. Pedals, amps, string, picks, even guitars are subjective to personal taste so for some one to really say this is better than that is really misleading. You might take your guitar back to guitar center and try different pedals out with your guitar, or one very similar model sound. Using effects for the electric side will be a hole lot different that the Piezo pickups. Fishman actually has some pedals just for acoustic/piezo guitars, but you could use "regular pedals", just different settings.

I tend to run the piezo line with just a touch of reverb at the PA, the run electric side through my pedalboard. There are a ton of stereo reverb and delay pedals out there, if you want to run both through the same pedal. Personally, I like the separation of not having the delay, et al, on the acoustic sounds.

You might want to turn down the gain on your keyboard, it sounds like you're shouting...

;)

I like to run my piezo through an acoustic simulator and EQ, and then clean to the PA/acoustic amp. Reverb just muddies it up. Now, if I run the piezo or regular pups into the other loop/line with some dirt and other effects, then reverb and delay can sound awesome - but then I'm using the piezo to fill out the signal, not for its overall acoustic-like properties.

I would not suggest buying a pedal specifically for stereo until you really know what you want/need. Heck, it might be cheaper to buy two separate pedals, one for piezo one for elec pups, so you can tweak the delay/reverb specific for each signal. So just get a mono delay/reverb to play with at first. I would suggest a delay first (unless you can find a good combo pedal), and then turn down the reverb on the amp until you don't quite notice it. But that's up to you.

You can do one of two things, IMHO, depending on your personality and level of risk aversion (and what you consider a risk):

1. Pick up a cheap but competent delay/reverb clone (Behringer has one, Joyo has a couple), see how it sounds for both piezo and electric pups. If you hate it for either, even with the effect mixed in really low, then you can flip them on eBay or Craigslist or whatever - not too much invested (especially compared to the cost of your P22!)

2. Analyze and investigate the pedals your guitar heroes use, and how they use them. Figure out one or two that you absolutely think you can't do without to capture their sound. Buy either that exact same pedal, or another similar pedal that is pretty darned close. (e.g. maybe you want the Gilmour sound, but he has used so many delays over the years I doubt anyone could say there is only one pedal to capture "his sound", so any of the analog/digital delays might be enough to start with - but there are pedals that can capture his sound from specific eras, like the Catalinbread Echorec, supposedly - I intend to buy one of those soon...)

Anyway, good luck! And please turn off the CAPS LOCK...

My opinion is it's better to run separate effects on the piezo side so you aren't bound to having what you want on one side to the other. The piezo doesn't need a ton of effects really. I just run a tiny bit of verb from the PA on mine.

For your reverb and delays I highly recommend TC Electronics !!!!!!! lots of adjustments GREAT quality.

My opinion is it's better to run separate effects on the piezo side so you aren't bound to having what you want on one side to the other. The piezo doesn't need a ton of effects really. I just run a tiny bit of verb from the PA on mine.

+1

FWIW, I bought a TC-Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb pedal for my electrics, and it's a great reverb pedal. And literally just a half hour ago, I ran my new P22 thru the other half of its stereo inputs/outputs (with the piezo first going thru an LR Baggs Para D.I.). Worked like a charm and sounds amazing.

When I bought the Hall of Fame, I didn't anticipate making use out of its stereo inputs, so this was a nice moment of realization. And regardless of what your signal chain ultimately looks like, I can heartily recommend the Hall of Fame -- very versatile and surprisingly lush digital verb.

Last edited:
Back