New member - first PRS

bsman

b00b
Just got my first PRS on Saturday - an S2 Standard 22 in white - that I traded for a Fender AmPro strat. The first two digits in the S/N are "19" so I am assuming it is a 2019 model (correct me if that is not right!) and thus the pickups would be the 81/85s set. Haven't got a lot of time on it yet, since I've been busy both at work and during the weekend. However, so far I'm quite impressed with the feel (seems a lot smaller, light, and handier than the strat, even though I don't think it probably is dimension-wise) and the tones so far. I've only played it plugged in directly to a little tube amp, but am impressed with the range of tones I can get just with the two pickups, the tone control, and the coil-splitting. Also impressed with the apparent build quality. Everything seems tight and there's no excess play on the bridge or tuners. My one minor quibble is that I am going to have to get used to the volume knob - I tend to play over the bridge PU, and find it's quite easy to unintentionally move the knob. I'm guessing it will actually be great for volume swells. Anyway - never even knew this place existed prior to doing some searching about this particular model.

Congrats! The S2s are great guitars. Also coming from playing F style guitars before PRS, you do get used to the knob placements really quickly.

Welcome to the forum and the Flock ;)

Thanks. I keep coming back to strats, even though I've never found 'the one'. I guess I'm more of a tele guy when it comes to Leo's creations. Anyway - these days, I find I'm favoring P90s more than Fender single coils...
Welcome!

And be careful, they're addictive...:)

Great - I'm already addicted to CF acoustics and P90s. Now you're telling me there's a new drug?

Welcome to the forum! I see a 594 soapbar in your future......

I've heard a lot about the little SE One on other forums. I don't know about the 594 - gonna have to drink a bit more from the kool-aid to go the "10-top with birds" route! Right now, my main 'gigging' (once in a blue moon) guitar is an LP "junior special" with P90s, replete with baked maple fretboard and flat black finish. Couldn't be further from a 594! :)

Just got my first PRS on Saturday - an S2 Standard 22 in white - that I traded for a Fender AmPro strat. <snip> My one minor quibble is that I am going to have to get used to the volume knob - I tend to play over the bridge PU, and find it's quite easy to unintentionally move the knob. I'm guessing it will actually be great for volume swells. Anyway - never even knew this place existed prior to doing some searching about this particular model.

I have this issue with my Strat. Half way through a song and I start to wonder "where the heck did I go?" Then I remember to check the volume. It's usually at about 50%.

If goat-n-gitter made you think about a PRS with P-90s but you don't want to drop a lot of cash, try and get your hands on a SE SoapbarII. I have one of the Maple's and it is a really nice guitar. I've read a lot of posts in forums (maybe not this one) complaining about the stock P-90s but I think they sound pretty good. You should be able to pick one up for very reasonable price. I really like mine.

I've heard a lot about the little SE One on other forums. I don't know about the 594 - gonna have to drink a bit more from the kool-aid to go the "10-top with birds" route! Right now, my main 'gigging' (once in a blue moon) guitar is an LP "junior special" with P90s, replete with baked maple fretboard and flat black finish. Couldn't be further from a 594! :)

SE One's are a lot of fun! Highly recommended.

.. these days, I find I'm favoring P90s more than Fender single coils...
I share your P90 addiction. I have a McSoapy (McCarty with P90's) and the SE Soapy 2 mentioned above. I had a one for a while but I play a lot on the neck pup...

Enjoy it. Great guitars.

May I add my 594 Soapbar recommendation to the others? And because it’s the PRS Forum, I’ll share a pic of mine:

3pWl0Kp.png

Back