New Member: First Core Prs incoming

Roadking

Hi all.

First, i'm a new member but i've been lurking here for some time.... So hello everybody.
There seems to be lots of knowledge here..... I have some questions about incoming SC245.
I have had SE Singlecut for few years now. Although it's been my number two guitar it is very good, infact the playability of that guitar is second to none (Guitars that I have Played).
So now I've bit the bullet and bought a SC245 McCarty Tobacco Burst.
I'm not sure wich year it is, but it has the new two piece bridge, phase III tuners and 57/08 pickups.
The questions i have are:
Since it's sunburst model (Tobacco) Is it Nitrocellulose coating?
I've read somewhere that all sunbursts are.
What are the differences between regular SC245 and SC245McCarty? (I know that the McCarty model is whole different beast.)
I should have the guitar next week, then i'll know More......

Thanks in advance.
Apologies of my language (not a native speaker....)

Hi all.

First, i'm a new member but i've been lurking here for some time.... So hello everybody.
There seems to be lots of knowledge here..... I have some questions about incoming SC245.
I have had SE Singlecut for few years now. Although it's been my number two guitar it is very good, infact the playability of that guitar is second to none (Guitars that I have Played).
So now I've bit the bullet and bought a SC245 McCarty Tobacco Burst.
I'm not sure wich year it is, but it has the new two piece bridge, phase III tuners and 57/08 pickups.
The questions i have are:
Since it's sunburst model (Tobacco) Is it Nitrocellulose coating?
I've read somewhere that all sunbursts are.
What are the differences between regular SC245 and SC245McCarty? (I know that the McCarty model is whole different beast.)
I should have the guitar next week, then i'll know More......

Thanks in advance.
Apologies of my language (not a native speaker....)

Congrats! SC245s aren't finished with nitro unless they're Private Stocks. Sunbursts don't have to be finished in nitro at all. Whoever said that is imagining things. PRS has made guitars with sunburst colors with poly and V12 finishes since the early days of the company.

I have had the SC245 and currently have a McCarty Singlecut. The McCarty Singlecut has a slightly thicker and heavier piece of mahogany in back, the edges of the fretboard are bound in maple instead of the plastic binding, it's finished in nitro, it has slightly differently wound 57/08s, it has a Madagascar rosewood fretboard (at least mine does), a bone nut, specially ground fret wire, and it's a Private Stock model only.

I have an early one from when they were still making them with mammoth ivory birds, but those aren't available any more, and frankly, they aren't really a big deal - the MOP or Paua inlays are prettier. Still, it makes for interesting conversation, I guess.

I believe PRS did a run of McCarty's, 22's and Singlecuts some years back that were called "Sunburst" and were indeed nitro finished guitars. So that's likely where the confusion is coming from wherever you heard that from.

I forgot all about those Sunburst models, but in any case, not all PRS sunburst finishes are nitro; in fact, very few were.

Welcome, Roadking...Looking forward to seeing pics and reading your impressions of your new PRS next week!

The 25th Anniversary SC245s have a nitro topcoat but those predate the 2-piece bridge so it isn't one of those.

Roadking, your guitar will be V12 as the combination of features on it has only been manufactured with that finish on the Core line.

Back