New member/ DGT vs. Cust24

I much prefer the DGT's over the CU24's.

I generally like the 22 fret spacing and the DGT's essentially a hot rodded McCarty, one of the best PRS designs ever, imho.

Everything that's been added by David was based on his many years of playing a McCarty trem, and I'm happy he and PRS have invested so much time deciding on on the different and unique features. The pickups are excellent, both in tone and flexibility with the great split tones. But the humbucker tones are juicy and very responsive to pickup volume, and playing dynamics.

I like how the new locking tuners are so light, it keep the neck nicely balanced, and reduces the overall weight of the guitar.

The larger frets make it so easy to play and bend... some people don't like them, but they are my favorite, as my style includes a lot of bending. They also allow the use of 11's with the ease of playing you might expect from 10's. I don't have any problem with 11's on this guitar, and I'm very happy to keep 11's on the DGT's.

I have both a regular and standard DGT, and I like both of their tones. The maple capped one has a little more high end bite, but both sound great.

M

Thanks for the input!

I'm still kind of on the fence about which guitar to get. I played several at Guitar Center the other day (no DGT's) and they all played like CR**P! Rusted strings, fret end burs... I really cant see how PRS is benefiting from their GC agreement. If that was my only PRS experience I'd never look at another one- they were that bad. The salesman couldn't even tell me what neck profiles were on the various guitars; "...PRS refuses to tell us- they say the specs are all proprietary..." I really don't expect anything less from GC to be honest.

At a local shop I found a custom order PRS on consignment. The story goes he's a wood supplier for PRS, and has them do several one-offs for him. This one was a Santana model with an odd pickup control set-up:
1-3.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-2.jpg

They were asking $4k and its used; lightly. It did play nice, and I love the bridge, but it's not worth the asking price in my opinion. Sometimes a guitar can be too fancy- for me anyway- and this fit squarely in that category. I'm guessing the finish was the V12 (the store owner had no idea...) as I could see it had soaked into the woods grain in the same manner a stain appears when soaked in. The neck was sticky, so if it wasn't V12, I'd bet it was some sort of nitro top coat. It was a nice guitar, but I had more fun playing a Squire Classic Vibe double-bound tele. It was just more inspiring, sounded great, no stickiness to the neck and cost a little less than the consignment PRS. A seriously fun guitar to play! Guess I'm weird ;)

I'm still tempted to buy a goldtop DGT, or search out a non-10-top flame. Just wish I could try one out first. Then there is still the possibility to just pick up a new Gibson Les Paul; the price is about the same, and in five years time the finish will probably begin to show its age ;)

Another thing about the V12 finish I'm wondering about is if the neck is sticky like nitro, and the possibility for finish checking. I'll be using the guitar primarily on stage, in different climates, traveling, etc. I don't mind the kind of checking that happens with nitro, but when poly is damaged it looks like damage rather than wear to my eyes. I'll be riding the guitar hard, so it'll age one way or another- just curious what to expect.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dude, I would score that Santana for the 4k! I Think I have seen that one before, and I think its a private stock. If it has the headstock eagle, then it is for sure. As far as the V12 finish goes, I think it is amazing! I still recommend the rosewood neck for you, which is super smooth unfinished wood. However, I also strongly suggest the body of the gtr be V12. So then, I would go with a custom24 with the artist package, in your favorite color, with the stock 59/09s, a rosewood neck, and a V12 body with a trem. It might cost the same 4K, but honestly, its worth it to have ALL your needs satisfied. If it makes you feel better, I spent 3 times that for satisfaction via private stock....Best money I have ever spent on gear! PERIOD.

Nope not a private stock Santana. upon closer examination of the pics I see no PS# on the back of the headstock. I still love it tho.....

I'm still kind of on the fence about which guitar to get. I played several at Guitar Center the other day (no DGT's) and they all played like CR**P! Rusted strings, fret end burs... I really cant see how PRS is benefiting from their GC agreement. If that was my only PRS experience I'd never look at another one- they were that bad. The salesman couldn't even tell me what neck profiles were on the various guitars; "...PRS refuses to tell us- they say the specs are all proprietary..." I really don't expect anything less from GC to be honest.

I'm reading this and thinking, "WHHAAAAAATTTTT????..."

I have NEVER seen a PRS for sale in any store in the conditions you relate here. I am shocked to the point of wondering if you were really looking at real PRS guitars or maybe confused some other brand with them or are simply making it all up. PRS guitars do not leave the factory in that condition. After more than 8 factory tours, I can tell you that the guitars are inspected to levels unmatched by other big manufacturers other than Taylor. While I have seen fret end burs, finish swirl marks, left over polishing compound, gaps in neck joints and uneven plating on metal parts on Gibsons and Fenders, I have never seen anything like that on any new PRS I have looked at in any store.

Stores get humidity problems from time to time, and if the staff doesn't wipe a guitar down after 13 year old sweaty handed Lifson wannabe handles it, things will rust. But at the PRS price point, I'm having a hard time believing that the salespeople aren't wiping them down before returning them to the wall. And if there was rust on strings from humidity control, ALL the guitars in the store would have some. So, I'm calling FOUL!

I live in Maryland. I have had the pleasure of touring the factory at every Experience event plus four other tours over the years. No one has as an aggressive turnaround inspection system as PRS unless it would be Taylor.

"...PRS refuses to tell us- they say the specs are all proprietary..." BULL!

PRS publishes the specs to help the buyer find just what he wants...

http://www.prsguitars.com/products/index.php Click on any model and on the resulting page, click on the red "SPECS" button on the left to see not only the neck profile, but all the other specs.

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/index.html Click on "Neck Profiles and Measurements" to get this page:
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/neckprofiles.html

So, your, salesperson at GC was either a moron, too lazy to look anything up, or just didn't take you seriously as a customer. None of them good.

Perhaps you don't expect much from GC, but I do and I'm pretty sure the people at PRS do too. If the condition of the PRS guitars at your local GC is really that bad, it's time for the local rep to have a look see...

EVERYTHING RUGERPC JUST SAID AND THEN SOME. THAT IDIOT SHOULD BE FIRED FROM GC. THAT COMPANY USUALLY HAS ASSKISSING DESPERATE SALESPEOPLE. AND...............PRS QUALITY IS SUPERIOR TO ALL IN LIGHT OF THEIR QUANTITY...PERIOD!

Randy, get on down to A Sharp Music.
I just left there after picking up my '61 Reissue SG.
Tony one of the techs there installed the Planet Wave Autotrim tuners, Cobalts, and did a complete setup.
Guitar Center does not do a setup on a new guitar, hence why I had A Sharp do my Gibson for me.

They have lots of PRS guitars in stock.

Back