New member/ DGT vs. Cust24

PNWRandy

Greetings!
Short introduction since I’m new here; I’ve been playing guitar for 25 years or so and having recently retired from the Air Force, moved back to Olympia, Washington. I’ve returned to college to work on my BA. Which means cash flow is pretty limited these days ;) However, I’ll be in a unique position to purchase something special in a few months, so naturally the first thing to come to mind is PRS.

My musical taste is more of the classic rock style, so I’ve been trying to decide between the DGT & Custom 24. I want to buy new; either 2011 or 2012. The recent changes in finish, pickups, etc. really appeal to me.

So I need help choosing between the two. I’m pretty sure the DGT pickups will give me the sweet humbucker tones and pretty good single coil tones. How does the new Cust24 compare to the DGT? I like the idea of PRS trying to improve on the HB pickups, but do they fall short of the DGT pickups or surpass them? I really like guitars that are versatile- those that do more than one or two tones really well.

I’ve been leaning towards the DGT thanks to the pickups & two volume controls. But the Cust24 has me wondering if the new pickups are more flexible…(i.e. DGT tones and more). Then there is of course the abstract question about which is the more musical of the two…

Anyway that’s where I find myself at the moment. It’ll be a few months before I’ll be able to make a purchase, so I have time to research and take a trip up to Seattle to test drive (hopefully) each. I figured there’s no place better than here to ask owners of the two guitars these questions.

Thanks!

I think the DGT would be a great choice based on what you've said - and it seems like you already agreed. May I suggest trying to find yourself a nice DGT Standard? The all mohagony body makes it an absolute beast while also saving you a few dollars.

I would have to second the motion for the DGT. Once i got my DGT Standard, it hit all the buttons for me personnaly. Tone, versatility, playability, look, feel etc... Its truly an amazing instrument.

Plenty of grunt out the pickups when i need it and beautiful cleans. The splits are great as well, very usable if that makes sense.

Oh yeah, there is also domething special about the way open chords ring on the DGT too. Cant explain it but its not the case on the other models in my opinion. They just sound big! YMMV.

Add the dual volume controls and you have just about all the versatility you can handle...

Thanks guys-

I watched a video filmed at Wildwood Guitars wherein Grissom mentions the ends of his fret wire are not slopped like the typical PRS. Have you found this to be noticeable?

Between the two models DGT & DGT Standard, I'll probably be going for the maple top version. This guitar will be replacing an old 58ri Les Paul (super heavy, uni-tasker) and I like the little added bit of high-end the maple affords. Not to knock the Standard model, but this is very likely to be my only PRS for a LONG time to come, so I want to do it right the first time. If I was in a position to have two, I'd get one of each- the seafoam green is a beauty ;)

The dual volume controls with only one tone is exactly how I would have built it. Although, I think I would have had independent coil splitters for a few additional tonal options.

Now to find the right color combo- The gold-top is my plan B; I'd love to find a sunsetburst with moons on a non-10 top. Thats the tricky part I think. While the 10-tops are nice, I prefer the randomness of pattern in the "lower grade" figuring.

Also been wondering if the new V-12 finish has been all its been touted to be. Is it as tough as claimed? Any problems so far?

Thanks again!

Randy, stop in a see Skip at A Sharp Music in Renton, WA.
http://www.asharpmusicco.com/

He is a good local dealer for PRS, and I got my 2012 SE Santana from him a month back.

No high pressure there like Guitar Center, and they also set up your guitar for you completely when you buy it, and you get two free setups worth $60 or so each afterwards.

I was just in there today coming back from one job site to another, and he has a good selection of PRS there.

I would get a P24!!!!!!!!!You will have far more versatility then the DGT............that is, if you can live without a tremelo. And, yes, the V12 finish is everything is is marketed to be and then some. Oh, and I would get the rosewood neck if it is still an option. Just my two cents, keep the change.

Randy, stop in a see Skip at A Sharp Music in Renton, WA.
http://www.asharpmusicco.com/

He is a good local dealer for PRS, and I got my 2012 SE Santana from him a month back.

No high pressure there like Guitar Center, and they also set up your guitar for you completely when you buy it, and you get two free setups worth $60 or so each afterwards.

I was just in there today coming back from one job site to another, and he has a good selection of PRS there.

+1 !!!! I miss hanging out there @ lunch! Skip, Tony and Jay will all take the time and explain all things PRS. Tony and Jay are both players and IMHO the best PRS techs in WA. They kept my stuff rolling for 7 years!!!

To the OP's ???? I wish I was still in town......I'd let ya borrow my DGT. The PTC guys knocked it outta the park !

+1 !!!! I miss hanging out there @ lunch! Skip, Tony and Jay will all take the time and explain all things PRS. Tony and Jay are both players and IMHO the best PRS techs in WA. They kept my stuff rolling for 7 years!!!

To the OP's ???? I wish I was still in town......I'd let ya borrow my DGT. The PTC guys knocked it outta the park !
Jet, I have heard great things about Skip's crew.
Jay put on Planet Waves Autotrim tuners on my SE Santana for me after it came in, and set the whole thing up.
I would say playing it is just as nice as playing my Gibson 2012 '61 SG Reissue I got from Guitar Center a few months back.
Of course GC never set it up, so when I get time, I will drop it off with Jay to put the same tuners on it for me, and do all the tuneup stuff to it.

More than likely I will be signing up with Cory there to take a few lessons to get me out of just playing rhythm.
Skip highly recommended him.

Jet, I have heard great things about Skip's crew.
Jay put on Planet Waves Autotrim tuners on my SE Santana for me after it came in, and set the whole thing up.
I would say playing it is just as nice as playing my Gibson 2012 '61 SG Reissue I got from Guitar Center a few months back.
Of course GC never set it up, so when I get time, I will drop it off with Jay to put the same tuners on it for me, and do all the tuneup stuff to it.

More than likely I will be signing up with Cory there to take a few lessons to get me out of just playing rhythm.
Skip highly recommended him.

Jay's an amazing Luthier. He and I played together for a year or so around Seattle. Not only can he fix stuff, he's an amazing talent! Cory also is amazing. I've sat in his studio and learned from his lessons. Be prepared to do your homework! Cory makes ya work!! My soon to be son-inlaw also teaches there.... Trevor Larkin. He's out on the road with Allen Stone, so he's not currently teaching. Azorik and Tony are also great teachers as well. Tell em all Todd says hello.

As to the V12 finish, I personally think it's wonderful, as it looks great, and has a nicer feel than the older poly models.

But it wasn't apparently introduced to be a more durable finish; PRS literature talks about look, feel, and tone, and going for more of a vintage vibe than the older poly finish. The finish goes on thinner, which presumably lets the guitar resonate more.

The newer PRSes sound wonderful, and in my opinion have a tone edge over the older ones. So if the finish is (maybe) one of the factors causing that, I'm down with it.

I would get a P24!!!!!!!!!You will have far more versatility then the DGT............that is, if you can live without a tremelo. And, yes, the V12 finish is everything is is marketed to be and then some. Oh, and I would get the rosewood neck if it is still an option. Just my two cents, keep the change.

yes ;)

Thats good news about the V12. I'm pretty excited about getting a PRS with these updates.

I've watched the videos on the P22 & 24- very impressive! However, I'm really looking for a trem equipped guitar and have zero inclination to dabble in acoustic sounds. Of all the piezo equipped guitars I've heard the new PRS is far and away the best. At least to my ears ;)

"ASharpMusic" isn't too far a drive, so I'll try getting up there sometime next week. I really like the smaller stores best as opposed to the Guitar Center (I cant stand that place- but I'll spare everyone the rant) I've seen a few DGTs on the net with non-10 tops that still have a small amount of figuring... really remind me of the late 50's Gibson's. Then I keep coming back to the gold top. Both are beautiful, and even though I'm having a hard time deciding which finish I'm still having fun with the process ;)

Not having much of a background in PRS myself, I'd like to know what people think of the DGT necks. I have been playing a modern USA Strat for the last few years, so by way of comparison from what I've been able to put together, it sounds like the DGT might be the same width as the Strat but a little thicker/chunkier... am I on the right track here?

Thanks guys!

Hey if you gotsta have the trem then do what you must. I sometimes blend the piezo slighty into crunchy sounds if it needs a little more bite though, not exclusively for acoustic tones. Before you decide and make a purchase, go out and play alot of different gtrs, old and new. I have never played a PRS that I did not like.....but I kinda LOVE the custom 24 and the old CE24s too. I have heard hard rock players on hollowbodies and they sounded great too ( don't know if they ever have feedback probs though ). PRS makes great gtrs. A guy in our church plays a Mira, and everything he plays sounds great. He is also a great player, so factor that in the equation too! There is no set formula, and thats the beauty. I hope whatever you do you make it sound like you.....don't be a mockingbird, be a ROCKingbird!!!!!!!!!!

There is no set formula, and thats the beauty. I hope whatever you do you make it sound like you.....don't be a mockingbird, be a ROCKingbird!!!!!!!!!!
Kindred souls you & I :p

Thats the approach I've taken over the last ten years or so, and its served me well (even if its been less than fashionable at times). To complement my Strat, I've been playing Carvin for the last six months or so... everyone in our praise & worship band kind of looked at me funny when I came in with my Carvin, but afterwards said my sound was more "open & unique"- which I took as a complement :) I'm always looking for a guitar that will give me more than one or two specific tones- then I tweak them to my liking.

This opportunity to purchase a PRS came about as a bit of a fluke. I'm happy with my tone as it is, but I am looking to get something kind of special. Since my LP has found a new home, my idea was to get something from PRS that has more of a vintage vibe (feel & sound). So I think the DGT is the right direction. Another reason I'm kind of shying away from the Standard model is that I have an all mahogany Carvin California Carved Top (CT3) on the way. I placed the order before I became aware of this opportunity for something a little extra-special (i.e. PRS).

Thats good news about the V12. I'm pretty excited about getting a PRS with these updates.

I've watched the videos on the P22 & 24- very impressive! However, I'm really looking for a trem equipped guitar and have zero inclination to dabble in acoustic sounds. Of all the piezo equipped guitars I've heard the new PRS is far and away the best. At least to my ears ;)

"ASharpMusic" isn't too far a drive, so I'll try getting up there sometime next week. I really like the smaller stores best as opposed to the Guitar Center (I cant stand that place- but I'll spare everyone the rant) I've seen a few DGTs on the net with non-10 tops that still have a small amount of figuring... really remind me of the late 50's Gibson's. Then I keep coming back to the gold top. Both are beautiful, and even though I'm having a hard time deciding which finish I'm still having fun with the process ;)

Not having much of a background in PRS myself, I'd like to know what people think of the DGT necks. I have been playing a modern USA Strat for the last few years, so by way of comparison from what I've been able to put together, it sounds like the DGT might be the same width as the Strat but a little thicker/chunkier... am I on the right track here?
Thanks guys!

Dave told me @ the PRS Experience that his neck carve is a bunch of different guitars all rolled into 1. The foundation came from a 60's 335 and his old 86 Pre-Standard PRS. I've played his on 94 McTrem Goldtop and the depth of that Wide/Fat is also felt in the DGT carve. I personally dig it!

OBTW....Goldtops are best!!!

IMG_2341.jpg

Last edited:
I own two special ordered Carvin AC275s, one a 6str, and the other a 12str. They are mainstays in my arsenal.....period. Ain't nothing funny about USA quality. Rock on man! The Cali Carved top is a PRS copy though, ain't nothing like the real thing man. You sound like a custom 24 with the rosewood neck option and 57/08s guy to me. I like the 59/09s for what I do, but you seem like more of a purist. The DGT is a unique animal with the individual volume knobs and all. Also, be warned that carvin pickups have a lousy rep in some circles. My gtrs are acoustic so I can't judge. PRS has their renown pickups available if you decide to swap though. You sound like you know what you want, which is a cool thing. Now you only have to seek that sound out, and then express it. If you seek with a balance of determination AND patience, then you will find the perfect PRS for you. Good luck my friend!!!

Man, I do have a softspot for gold tops- with & without checking! Also really like the way the colors of the top & back blend... makes me forget about the bursts~

I own two special ordered Carvin AC275s, one a 6str, and the other a 12str. They are mainstays in my arsenal.....period. Ain't nothing funny about USA quality. Rock on man! The Cali Carved top is a PRS copy though, ain't nothing like the real thing man. You sound like a custom 24 with the rosewood neck option and 57/08s guy to me. I like the 59/09s for what I do, but you seem like more of a purist. The DGT is a unique animal with the individual volume knobs and all. Also, be warned that carvin pickups have a lousy rep in some circles. My gtrs are acoustic so I can't judge. PRS has their renown pickups available if you decide to swap though. You sound like you know what you want, which is a cool thing. Now you only have to seek that sound out, and then express it. If you seek with a balance of determination AND patience, then you will find the perfect PRS for you. Good luck my friend!!!

I really like my Carvin guitars, and even tough the pickups are snubbed by many they work for me ;) Having said that, I may try a pickup swap in the near future just for kicks (I'm really intrigued by the 59/09's). About the Cali Carved Tops- there is no question they are heavily inspired by PRS, and I'm okay with that. I like to think its just their take on a classic. In the same manner that Anderson, Sure, etc. are influenced by Fender. With that comparison aside, they (as you know) are wonderful guitars in their own right. Being a traditionalist (mostly) I have a difficult time buying a guitar from an overseas manufacture- and there are some fine imports! I just cant bring myself to buy one of them. I think Carvin build great American made guitars for the working guitarist (i.e. poor ;) ). If I had the means I'd have a collection of PRS. Sadly I don't. However, in a few months I'll be able to afford one, so I'm tickled to death! :D

Make sure you do try the 59/09s- they are stock on the custom 24, and the neck pu split....I can hang out there all day. If you get a PRS, I would go all out and get the artist package, or whatever options you want and can get. Don't settle, get your dream gtr! I went private stock, and they fulfilled and surpassed all my expectations. I have a keeper for life. Oh, it would help alot to either playtest the gtrs you try through your rig or a similar one because PRS gtrs can have a life and hottness to their tone that may not sound so nice through every rig without tweeking. To each their own, but my general rule is that for cleans, hotter pickups need a tamer amp and tamer pickups need a hotter amp. Now for mega-dirty, I go hot PUs and hot amp. Go play around with some different PRS gtrs through different amps and you will understand what I mean. PRS gtrs have a life and energy that drives the pre with a strong signal. wwwwaaaayyyyy different than any strat or I bet even your Carvin. Just take that into consideration. I use totally different signal pathways for my PRS gtrs because of this. ( still think you will find yourself to be a 57/08 guy ) PEACE

Back