New Living Colour - Shade

I honestly feel this is their best album since Stain (my personal fave). They really knocked this one out of the park!

I like this record a lot. I'm glad Vernon has joined the PRS family.
I saw Living Colour for the first time in a small club in Richmond, VA in 1988. It was right before "Cult of Personality" broke. I think there were 25 people there and they killed it.

IMHO...."Shade" is without question the BEST album of 2107. It is amazing... fresh stuff with rock, blues, funk-infused. Vernon is at his very BEST on this album.

Ya know, Living Colour was something that I somehow dismissed back in 1988. Dunno why, listening right now to Cult of Personality seems like something I would appreciate, but I was heavy into Floyd at the time (college years), so maybe it just whizzed past without me actually stopping to listen. Or maybe the guitars were just too Van Halen -esque for my tastes right then.

So that new track in the OP sounds good - off the Amazon to have a look-see.

EDIT: and ordered!

Last edited:
Ironically, I almost missed them for the exact opposite reasons. If I thought they sounded like Van Halen, I'd have been all over them. It was "Cult" that hooked me. They got big fast with that one, VR was in Guitar Player and they were talking about the eclectic mix of styles, and I said "I love that song and his solo on it is crazy, but eclectic mix of styles doesn't sound like something I'd like." Finally decided to buy the CD JUST for Cult of Personality. That solo is OUT THERE! Many were saying things like Vernon was the second coming of Hendrix and crazy stuff like that. I thought, I just have to hear more. Got that CD and within 2 weeks bought their others. They definitely turned me on to some things I wouldn't normally listen too. And the way they mixed the styles was great. I would have thought they'd be even much bigger than they were because I could definitely see them pulling in fans from at least 3 types of music.

Ya know, Living Colour was something that I somehow dismissed back in 1988. Dunno why, listening right now to Cult of Personality seems like something I would appreciate, but I was heavy into Floyd at the time (college years), so maybe it just whizzed past without me actually stopping to listen. Or maybe the guitars were just too Van Halen -esque for my tastes right then.

I remember some bits being a challenging listen at first because Reid's style was pretty fast and loose, or maybe it was just too far off the beaten path at the time for my still-developing ear. Vivid was definitely a good record though, albeit not quite as cohesive as Time's Up, IMO. That release just crushed me when it debuted and I've been hooked ever since.

I've been hopelessly stuck on this track all week. Love the development of the tune as it builds, and when that funk groove lands I just want to move in permanently. My only complaint: I need at least another two minutes of that bit. Don't make me get out a looper!

I've been hopelessly stuck on this track all week. Love the development of the tune as it builds, and when that funk groove lands I just want to move in permanently. My only complaint: I need at least another two minutes of that bit. Don't make me get out a looper!

Thanks for reminding me. Love this tune!

Back