New Limited Run with video from Paul

I keep looking at my Custom 22 order from January and seeing all these new releases and wonder. Hopefully arrives next month! :D

The bridge changes seem interesting.

I'd love one of these 58/15 Special Edition Limited Run whatever CU24s, but I really don't have the disposable income for one. And really, I want lots of other PRS models before another CU24.

But if I was in the market for a CU24, I'd be all over a Faded Whale Blue with Wide Thin neck.

Very curious to know how the 58/15s compare to the 57/08s. Watched the video, he says the 58/15s have less pronounced low mids. That doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me, but I'd sure like to hear an A/B comparison.

I already have a Custom 24 with 85/15s (that's the uncovered version, right?), so that'll have to be close enough for me. But it's one of my favourites, so you all who don't have one should want one.

Although I have to admit to being curious about this new Gen III tremolo.

Last edited:
I already have a Custom 24 with 85/15s (that's the uncovered version, right?), so that'll have to be close enough for me. But it's one of my favourites, so you all who don't have one should want one.

Hear hear!! Same on this end. Nice guitar but the 30th CU24 is plenty great. :)

What's not to like? I have a 30th CU 24 and love it. Now I have to get me one of these and have a party!

As far as I'm concerned...

...the 58/15s are the best humbucking pickups I've ever played. In fact, I like them so much that I happily sold a vintage Les Paul with '59 PAFs because my new PRS (a PS McCarty with somewhat unique-to-me specs) with 58/15s sounds so much better to me.

With respect to the comment about "less pronounced low mids," here's the thing. Did you notice Paul also said that when a producer gets ahold of your band's tracks, the first thing they do is EQ the guitars so there's less low-mids and more upper-mids? If you don't ever do any serious recording or serious listening to how a guitar sits in a band mix, especially if you play by yourself a lot, you tend to think that your guitar sounds BITCHEN when all those low mids are in there. It's why Gibson sells a bajillion Historic Les Pauls. The problem is, all those low mids do is muddy up a mix. Maybe (just maybe) if you're playing through a really great vintage-style Marshall amp, the amp will re-EQ your guitar and all will be well. But for everyone else it's better to have them not be so prominent in the guitar's voice.

Reactions: FJ4
I have 3 guitars with 58/15's already....and I still want one of these.

To me the most interesting announcement is the release of the new bridge with locking saddles. I think this would be a great improvement for those of us who do large bends causing, usually, the g string to go flat (and then having to dip the bar to bring it back to up to pitch). Shame it's a PS option only.. Hopefully will filter down to a core option in time.

I'd love some 58/15 in a McCarty

11892309_961487070572249_3654611178506993193_o.jpg

So I've read several times here that the 58/15 and 85/15 pickups are the same, but the 58 is covered. In the vid, he seems to say that they may not be...or if they are the same, it's kind of a coincidence. That they were after making a better '58 PAF with one, and a better '85 PRS with the other?

Back