New HX?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Broseph, Jun 22, 2021.

1. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Oh, he will

2. Drew

Drew New Member

Indeed. I did see a really hot brand new 2021 antique white CU 24 with natural binding today that got me all hot and bothered. So, I go both ways :)

LSchefman, Dirty_Boogie and bodia like this.
  3. DreamTheaterRules

Well, you're right about misconceptions. TONE does not come from the fingers. Phrasing, style, etc. comes from your hands and your playing, but a properly fretted note sounds the same no matter whose left hand is fretting it. But picks, strings and every other single thing in the chain makes a difference in the tone.

And I'm a little beyond gimmicks when it comes to tone and circuits. I know how they work. And if you don't like a good plexi, that's fine with me, but I've heard more than one of them sound great, and obviously, hundreds of thousands of others have too, or they wouldn't want them.

#43 DreamTheaterRules, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  4. bodia

All with love, brother!

RickP likes this.
  5. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Wait, wait, wait (to quote Vandenberg) - you're telling me that Jimi didn't hand sign these?

I'm out.

andy474x, october3, LSchefman and 5 others like this.
  6. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

I do from time to time think of a little list of give aways to save my wife from having to figure out what to do with everything.

bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  7. El Fenix

El Fenix New Member

Has anyone put humbuckers through it?

All I've heard so far have been strat styles playing Hendrix ish

HANGAR18 likes this.
  8. Stephen J.

Stephen J. New Member

Watch the last minute or so.

9. DreamTheaterRules

Being serious for a moment, I have thought the same thing. There’s no guarantee that my grandson will follow the guitar path, and while he just turned 6, even 10 years from now, dumping 17 guitars on him is not a solid move even if he does. If he doesn’t, my poor wife wouldn’t even know what to do with all of my stuff.

#49 DreamTheaterRules, Jun 24, 2021
  10. october3

october3 New Member

After the fuss this will probably fade in sales like the Mayer amp and even the other core amps.

I thought he was working on something creative given the lockdown comments.

11. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Les knows quite a bit of British history.

Who knows he may have heard of Dave (Earl of Harrow).

Alan Manning and LSchefman like this.
  12. WeFixFlats

WeFixFlats Respect The Clave

"a newly-documented “Authentic Hendrix” Touring Circuit..."...Touring Circuit?...

13. bodia

Yeah, all of the mods they did to it to stop it from blowing tubes. Doug discusses this in the video.

14. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Surprising (sort of) takes on what makes an amp worthwhile.

I've always thought of PRS as a company that makes musical instruments and amps for the stars and arena-playing musicians, and makes those items available to the general playing public as well. That's the core and CAD lines. There is a custom shop above, and SE and S2 lines below, for those who want those options. But the Core and CAD stuff are the "musicians playing to the masses" lines. That being the case, it doesn't surprise me at all that there is a 100 watt amp there, as that's what many touring pros use, sometimes multiples of them. And there's a 50, because a lot of pros use those. A touring pro wants an amp that sounds a certain way and doesn't break... the CAD amps, if you're in PRS land. Overall, it's been a pretty successful way to think for PRS.

Plenty of pros are still using old amp circuits from the 50s-60s in current music genres, so the "heyday" of these amps is still very much ongoing. If Paul and Doug decided this was an amp to make, they have people talking with them that wanted it. They didn't just toss a dart in the dark and hit a Hendrix poster. And we can buy it too, if we want. Or not.

I like it when they introduce new stuff, even if it isn't stuff I'm going to use. Like the Fiore, which has nothing for me, but I'm glad they went that way because it'll have something for others. Options are good, even if they aren't your thing.

#54 RickP, Jun 24, 2021
  15. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

I've heard of Roger, Earl of Foghat.

I've heard rumors of Earl, Rogerer of Many, but I may have made that up.

Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  16. october3

october3 New Member

Halo product I get, bit of a strange one though

Sonzerra meh, MT15 - strange there is no useable lower volume unlike similar victory lunchbox heads.

17. Glenn Gross

Glenn Gross New Member

“And His Heavy Friends”; I remember.

18. GADonis

GADonis New Member

Bit off topic here. I believe that "Tone is in the fingers" is a misnomer. The actual AURAL qualities (various frequencies and their amplitudes) that reach our ears come from the vibrational characteristics of the guitar and any electronics involved in the signal chain. Yes, if you plug Eddie Van Halen into a Supro while he's playing a Danelctro, he is going to be recognizable as EVH. But he isn't going to have the sound (tone) for which he is recognized. The "in the fingers" part is recognizing the technique and stylistic characteristics of each individual player. The style and technique of vibrato, chord voicings, bending, timing (pocket), note choice, etc., are what make EVH sound like EVH no matter what gear he is plugged into.

As for the amp, I think it sounds great. But, it is a bit out of my comfort range for spending on an amplifier.

RickP and bodia like this.
  19. GADonis

GADonis New Member

+1. Saw this after I posted my little bit.

20. Em7

Em7 deus ex machina

I know quite a bit about amp circuits and an amp design. A plexi is not just a tone. It is a response to one's playing. The amp feels like it is breathing when cranked up. That is due to the relatively short signal path that contains two gain stages, a cathode follower to buffer the gain stages being loaded down by the tone stack, a phase-inverter, power tubes, and a output transformer to convert a high voltage/low current hi-impedance circuit to a lower voltage/higher current lower impedance circuit. Adding an effect loops alters the tone and response of the amp and so does adding gain stages and switching. The plexi circuit responds well to a post-phase inverter circuit, but that is an easy mod. Like most older amp circuits, every component in the plexi circuit makes a difference.

By the way, VH1 was recorded on a 100W plexi. Granted, a variac was used to lower headroom, but it was still a plexi. A plexi was used on all of the early albums. Eddie's tone became arguably more fizzy with less bite when he switched to higher gain amps. Almost all of the Dokken albums were recorded with a 100W plexi. The 100W circuit is not all that much louder than the 50W circuit because it is only a 3dB increase in power and its take 9dB to double the sound pressure coming out of the amp. It is often stated that a 10dB increase power is required, but 9dB results in doubling of the sound pressure. That means we have to double the power three times (e.g., a 400W plexi would produce twice as much sound pressure as a 50W plexi). What the 100W circuit brings to the table is more girth and headroom. There really is not the much difference between a metalface Marshall and a plexi Marshall. Sure, Marshall used different transformers over the years, but that was driven mostly by cost and attempts to prevent amplifiers from blowing up when dimed, especially while still under warranty. The major changes were interstage coupling and cathode bypass capacitors to make the amps brighter.

alantig, RickP, bodia and 3 others like this.