New HX/DA amp coming?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by DougUSMC, Aug 27, 2020.

1. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Perpetual Practicer

Sometimes I get jealous of friends that love their jobs, sometimes I'm glad that I have hobbies that I love after my stressful job.

TBH, I don't know who has it better? ;)

LSchefman and bodia like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I don't think there is a 'better'. There's what works for you, and what doesn't work for you.

ducmike likes this.
  3. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

I decided in the late 70s that I didn’t want to become an old man playing bars, so I got married and educated. My engineering degree took me places I’m unlikely to have made it to and I got a great deal of satisfaction from my work.

My move was in the opposite direction of Les, but I don’t think I would have been as comfortable in my final choice if I hadn’t tried the other first. In that respect, I think Les and I are alike.

4. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

I have always been greedy and wanted both a satisfying job and hobbies. Just like I want guitars that look nice, play well and sound good - which is why I keep buying PRS.

MC58-In-SC and bodia like this.
  5. tiboy

tiboy New Member

Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful. Sorry wrong commercial. Like veinbuster, I had a very rewarding and enjoyable career combined with two equally enjoyable hobbies: cycling and guitar. That’s why I keep buying Parlee’s and PRS.

RickP, LSchefman and veinbuster like this.
  6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

We are indeed a lot alike! Your previous experience informed and helped shape your life. If I hadn't practiced law, I wouldn't have had a clue how to build any business, let alone one in something like music production.

I'm happy I made the change, no regrets. Have had lots of good things happen because of it.

Alnus Rubra, bodia, DougUSMC and 2 others like this.
  7. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

You can do them both to a degree, but if you do, one always has to ride in the back seat. I did the career first, but never stopped playing. I'm pretty sure that actively gigging police chiefs are a select few! But it did work, even though I couldn't chase music like I had once envisioned. Now that I finally reached the first goal (retirement from main career), I'm glad I kept one foot in the music business all those decades. Still gigging (when possible in this crazy world), and feeling pretty good about life in the post-full time job world!

Alnus Rubra, tiboy, bodia and 2 others like this.
  8. DougUSMC

I *might* have just ask my Sales rep @ the largest online US music vendor (can we say names here?), during a convo about other stuff, and he wasn't aware of anything new.

Then again, he said this year has been crazy w/vendors & no NAMM coming, so it was anyone's guess.

bodia and LSchefman like this.
  9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Let us know what you hear!

DougUSMC likes this.
  10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Not that I need an extra HXDA or anything...but...you know...

:)

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

My grandmother had a saying that went, "One behind can't ride two horses."

Same concept.

Alnus Rubra and veinbuster like this.
  12. DougUSMC

My wife is always saying she never knows what to get me for my birthday or Christmas, so I see this as a public service! :D

13. EVADOLL75

EVADOLL75 New Member

Interesting that there were 2 different HX/DA threads going on, but both for the original 50w.

LSchefman likes this.
  14. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

They couldn’t go wrong making that one available again! I have wondered if the supply of expensive or custom parts became an issue. I was playing on mine last night and am reminded every time how much they nailed it on the originals. The quality of the sound is inspiring.

LSchefman, Tucson Thump and DougUSMC like this.
  15. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

I have played the HXDA and I get why some like it - the whole plexi thing etc

The line up for me is missing a key type of amp. Something like a JCM800 that has modern features.

I don't need a pedal platform amp or something for metal/ chugging.

This would bring ME back to the PRS amp fold.

LSchefman and WEDGE like this.
  16. DougUSMC

I dig what you're saying, and I think it's pretty obvious that I'm a PRS fanboy. My question is: Why would you look for a JCM800-type amp from PRS?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm following these b/c I'm excited to see what they come out, but not for my Marshall tones. I have Marshalls for that. :D

17. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I recently “saw the light” on the single channel PRS amps with the Sweet 16 I picked up. I mean, I knew they had to be good, but I didn’t know, ya know?

Even with the 16 being a more affordable amp than the HXDA, DG, etc., it still thrills me. Don’t get me wrong, the three 2 channel
    PRS amps I’ve owned have been great, light years ahead of other channel switching amps I’ve played in a number of ways. But the way the sound is just so perfectly dialed in on the Sweet 16 is dreamy. I suspect that it’s harder to tune a shared power section on a 2 channel amp to perfectly represent each channel, and that’s why the singles shine just a tiny shade brighter.

I was a poor student when the PRS amp kind had more mid-priced single channel stuff in it, I’d like to see some more of that again (now that I actually have a few bucks). I have the evidence in had that it works! A new HX/DA might not be that affordable, but no doubt in my mind PRS could dream up some kind of less adorned M-type amp that turns some heads.

DougUSMC, LSchefman and bodia like this.
  18. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Being a '60s kinda guy, I always thought Marshall took a wrong turn starting with those JCM800s. The tone is so harsh and dry! I have much more of a "Live at the Fillmore" or Jimi type of tone in my head. Or even AC/DC.

The JCM800 sound put me off Marshalls for a long time, until I worked with Laurie Wisefield (Wishbone Ash, Clapton, Ringo Starr) on a project where he used a JTM45. Of course, that was more in the Plexi direction, however he got killer, killer tone. And what a phenomenal player!

But that's just me. The rest of the world clearly disagrees, since those JCM type amps sell like hotcakes! I will say that the single channel PRS amps aren't necessarily pedal platforms, but they're for a different player than someone seeking JCM800 tones.

If I wanted something more JCM800, I'd probably look at Friedman or Suhr.

19. tiboy

tiboy New Member

Les, PRS, Friedman and Suhr. You’re just a 60’s kinda boutique type of guy aren’t you? Me too brother!

LSchefman likes this.
  20. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

If she feels like being extra-generous to a complete stranger... :p