New HX/DA amp coming?

You bite your tongue Les!!

Tho that brings up an interesting question I'd have (about the heads, not the cab): Were the original 50w heads originally priced closer to the JMOD heads, or along the lines of the Archon?
It was in between. Basically the same price as the DG 30. Not sure if we're allowed to quote prices on discontinued products.

It was in between. Basically the same price as the DG 30. Not sure if we're allowed to quote prices on discontinued products.

Ok, cool, thanks for getting me in the right ballpark.

You bite your tongue Les!!

Tho that brings up an interesting question I'd have (about the heads, not the cab): Were the original 50w heads originally priced closer to the JMOD heads, or along the lines of the Archon?

They were priced around where the DG30 is. Just going by memory here. HXDAs, DG30s and a few others were in the then-higher-end CAD amp line that had more hand wired innards, and some other premium stuff, thicker tag boards, etc. Significantly less than the JMOD, but still top-of-range pricing.

They were priced around where the DG30 is. Just going by memory here. HXDAs, DG30s and a few others were in the then-higher-end CAD amp line that had more hand wired innards, and some other premium stuff, thicker tag boards, etc. Significantly less than the JMOD, but still top-of-range pricing.
Yep. Truly boutique, hand-built amps with individually selected tubes. CAD = Custom Amp Design.

Cool news. So what I think I'm seeing is:
  • There's a lot of precedent for this one
  • It looks like ones that have been released before, but not exactly
  • It could be a prototype OR it could be a modded 100w
  • Tyler is a PRS sponsored musician, and does a lot w/ PRSh, so this could be a little bit of a preview
I was holding out hope that we'd see something @ Winter NAMM, but read that it was cancelled. I wonder what plans are now, any thoughts?

Somewhere - maybe here - I read that one of Hendrix' Plexis (with an original Hendrix tour stencil painted on the amp) was seen in the amp area at the PRS factory. It might've been around the time the HXDA was discontinued. My memory is vague on this.

I have no idea what that means in terms of PRS products.

From what I can tell, the amp he's using in the recent videos is an HXDA that seems to work like mine, and sports the same switching options. As they did with the McCarty, PRS will occasionally reintroduce products, some with a slight twist on the predecessor.

Until they release this thing (if they release it), it's anyone's guess.

Somewhere - maybe here - I read that one of Hendrix' Plexis (with an original Hendrix tour stencil painted on the amp) was seen in the amp area at the PRS factory. It might've been around the time the HXDA was discontinued. My memory is vague on this.

From what I can tell, the amp he's using in the recent videos is an HXDA that seems to work like mine, and sports the same switching options. As they did with the McCarty, PRS will occasionally reintroduce products, some with a slight twist on the predecessor.

I can confirm the Hendrix amp. I saw it when Shawn took me on a tour in October, 2018. It was sitting in the hallway outside Doug’s mad doctor work area. I was in awe seeing it.

I may have actually mentioned it. I know I did a post about the tour, and posted a bunch of pics from the archive.

The timing sounds about right. I think I read your post and saw it there.

I'm curious to see what PRS has up their collective sleeve.

I may have actually mentioned it. I know I did a post about the tour, and posted a bunch of pics from the archive.
I'd like to have seen how that all went down. I know from my own PS build and Vault tour, the whole thing is pretty unreal. I was trying to take everything in, but completely unable to deal w/all the awesomeness. Seeing that Hendrix amp, w/ road stencil on it, likely would've short-circuited my brain. I'd have been standing there, drooling...

Yeah, I dig it. I've been playing w/a couple of different heads lately, just having fun with tone combos. It'd be cool to see another PRS head on the horizon! I suspect that Tyler will continue to let his make cameos, and may even break any news that comes out on it.

I'd like to have seen how that all went down. I know from my own PS build and Vault tour, the whole thing is pretty unreal. I was trying to take everything in, but completely unable to deal w/all the awesomeness. Seeing that Hendrix amp, w/ road stencil on it, likely would've short-circuited my brain. I'd have been standing there, drooling...

Absolutely was the case! You're right, there is so much to take in that it is overwhelming! We walked past that amp, Shawn kind of nonchalantly points it out. It was just sitting in the hallway with a couple of other amps. JUST SITTING THERE!

Absolutely was the case! You're right, there is so much to take in that it is overwhelming! We walked past that amp, Shawn kind of nonchalantly points it out. It was just sitting in the hallway with a couple of other amps. JUST SITTING THERE!

You know, I considered reaching out to the factory, for a "not ready to retire-retirement job". Eventually I decided that I wouldn't want a job that made the special-ness of PRS to ever wear off. Something tells me that Shawn and the rest of them are just so constantly surrounded by awesomeness, that it's just something you get used to. I mean, they're all PART of that awesomeness. They all contribute to its creation, so maybe at that point it's just a finer example of their craft?

You know, I considered reaching out to the factory, for a "not ready to retire-retirement job". Eventually I decided that I wouldn't want a job that made the special-ness of PRS to ever wear off. Something tells me that Shawn and the rest of them are just so constantly surrounded by awesomeness, that it's just something you get used to. I mean, they're all PART of that awesomeness. They all contribute to its creation, so maybe at that point it's just a finer example of their craft?
I would certainly agree with that. I considered different jobs in the past that had to do with hobbies/interest but ultimately decided I didn't want to turn something I loved into a job. Plus, it's hard to walk away from 30 days of vacation a year.

I would certainly agree with that. I considered different jobs in the past that had to do with hobbies/interest but ultimately decided I didn't want to turn something I loved into a job. Plus, it's hard to walk away from 30 days of vacation a year.

I turned my music hobby into a career 30 years ago.

I don't have any regrets, but I will freely admit that it takes some of the fun out of music.

I get that. Lots of peeps could do it. I just wasn’t comfortable enough to believe that I could.

On the other hand, even with a small bit of the fun part becoming more serious, the work I've been doing for 30 years now is WAY more fun than anything I did before, and when I have time off, I still do music stuff. Lately my fun stuff is writing a different style of music than clients usually want (orchestral),

So what does that tell you? I love my work more than any other kind of work I could do. The stress of making money at it is the part that isn't fun, but for me, being a bizniz person isn't all that much fun in the first place.

Back