New HX/DA amp coming?

Just got referred to that... different knobs, a 100 watter. Maybe a custom order? Really, this is one that should never leave the catalog.

I have him on my sub list (along w/PRS, obviously), and when it popped up yesterday I immediately came here (obviously) to see if there was any scoop on it.

Interesting that there were 2 different HX/DA threads going on, but both for the original 50w.

I think it's likely a test-bed with him, to see what interest is, before adding it @ Winter NAMM?

I think it's likely a test-bed with him, to see what interest is, before adding it @ Winter NAMM?

Maybe so. I’m no music company exec, but as a player I’d say that having an authentic Plexi available is never going to be a bad thing. Even for special order, if nothing else. This is such a versatile amp, and that’s saying something when it comes with exactly zero footswitchable options... not even reverb.

By the way, does anyone know if Doug Sewell still works at/with PRS?

The original HXDA was available as a 50W and 100W, so maybe this is a prototype based on the older 100W chassis?

I'd like a 100W version; it'd be a different amp from my current HXDA because of the headroom. I'd get one (and I'd keep my current one as well).

The original HXDA was available as a 50W and 100W, so maybe this is a prototype based on the older 100W chassis?

I'd like a 100W version; it'd be a different amp because of the headroom. I'd get one.
a) I'm honored that you're "almost back" in my thread! :D
b) Interesting, I wasn't aware that there was a 100w to resurrect
c) I'm with you. Now that I've been using the Ox almost constantly, I'm not afraid of "not really using" the 100w amps anymore!

Did I miss something, or did Tyler Larson just announce that PRS is releasing a new HX/DA amp in his thread here??

I wasn't actively looking for a new head, but if you insist...
Build date says 5-18.

There are screws installed where HX/DA mini-toggles 1 and 3 are supposed to be.

Maybe some sort of prototype for a new HXDA variation? Or maybe Mr. Larson just messing with us?

Now that I've been using the Ox almost constantly, I'm not afraid of "not really using" the 100w amps anymore!

The OX is a great piece of gear!

But heck, I use a 100W Lone Star in my studio without an OX or other attenuator. I like the immediacy of the pick response with 100W, and the headroom. However, in my studio, it's always horses for courses. The choice of amp depends on what the project needs.

"Your neighbors must hate you."

"My neighbors would hate me even if I never made any noise."

Build date says 5-18.

There are screws installed where HX/DA mini-toggles 1 and 3 are supposed to be.

Maybe some sort of prototype for a new HXDA variation? Or maybe Mr. Larson just messing with us?

Oh, didn't notice the build date. I'm sure he "would" mess w/us, and IDK if you watched the video, but he made it look like a delivery came in. I'm hoping it's a new prototype, and he got permission from PRSh to throw out a video on it, to see what kind of interest he generated. So we need to RAISE THE ROOF on this thread, on the off chance he/one of his guys happen to frequent this forum and catch this thread... ;)

The OX is a great piece of gear!

But heck, I use a 100W Lone Star in my studio without an OX or other attenuator. I like the immediacy of the pick response with 100W, and the headroom. However, in my studio, it's always horses for courses. The choice of amp depends on what the project needs.

"Your neighbors must hate you."

"My neighbors would hate me even if I never made any noise."

My people!!

I agree that I tend to choose amps and guitars both based on what my playing style/mood is, I just appreciate the OX giving me the flexibility to do it and still focus on tone vs. earplugs. :D

I agree that I tend to choose amps and guitars both based on what my playing style/mood is, I just appreciate the OX giving me the flexibility to do it and still focus on tone vs. earplugs. :D

Oh, the OX is great! If I wanted use one for a project, I'd buy one with no hesitation.

I like to have a paying gig that justifies studio gear. First, I feel a lot less guilty, and second, there's no "discussion" with my wife. ;)

Saw that yesterday and discussed it with our old friend DirtyBob (he has almost every PRS amp). The build date throws off the story, but a revised HX/DA would be a welcome addition. That video also sported a pine 2x12 cab that has been off the menu for a year or so.

Saw that yesterday and discussed it with our old friend DirtyBob (he has almost every PRS amp). The build date throws off the story, but a revised HX/DA would be a welcome addition. That video also sported a pine 2x12 cab that has been off the menu for a year or so.

I have one of the older open back pine 2x12’s, and it’s a wonderful cab. I was a little disappointed with the current PRS cabs recently when looking for a 1x12 to pair with my new Sweet 16 head.

I noticed that, too. But they're still making the pine 2x12 Grissom cab, and the pine closed back JMOD cab, so maybe they're planning to bring it back, or maybe with the JMOD cab they just don't need to.

I think if I were to get a 100W HXDA descendant, I might opt for the 4x12 PRS cab with finger jointed birch construction; my Big Mouth cab is made that way, and it sounds fantastic with the HXDA.

I'd need to put it on a caster board, of course, since there's no way I could move it around...

Last edited:
He’s overdue for a play date.

I noticed that, too. But they're still making the pine 2x12 Grissom cab, and the pine closed back JMOD cab, so maybe they're planning to bring it back, or maybe with the JMOD cab they just don't need to.

You bite your tongue Les!!

Tho that brings up an interesting question I'd have (about the heads, not the cab): Were the original 50w heads originally priced closer to the JMOD heads, or along the lines of the Archon?

Back