New here, NGD for my son

OldeEnglishD

Hi all,

I am a drummer who has an 8 year old son who started playing guitar 9 months ago. He started off on a used 3/4 scale Squire Strat but once I saw he was hooked and knew he would keep playing, I started to look into full size guitars and what brands/models to go with. After a lot of research my mind was pretty settled on a PRS. My son gave his input on what he saw/heard while I was doing my research and in the end we thought the SE 24 Standard would be a great match for him. At this point it was a "in the future, when you outgrow your Squire" plan. Two weeks later on FB Marketplace I came across a 4 month old SE 24 Standard in Cherry Red (the color he wanted) with a new gig bag for $300! Let's just say Christmas came early for my son this year. He even put $100 of his own money (Grandparents at birthday, allowance savings, etc.) towards the purchase so he has "skin in the game". The guitar is perfect, the seller came into some bills he needed to pay and this was the odd guitar out as he is a F guy and had a Tele and Strat. My son loves his new guitar and has no issues playing a full size at all. I look forward to learning a lot from this group.

OED

Thanks everyone! I have some pictures on my phone and will try to get them uploaded this weekend. I also got a 20th anniversary Custom Shop poster that he put up on his wall (along with a couple other guitar posters). Guess you can say he and I have caught the PRS bug.

Sweet! Better put together a financial plan if you're going to hang around this group of GAS enablers...

I got a Paul Allender for my daughter back in the day.
Oh believe me I know GAS. My older son and I are drummers and we get it as bad as you guys! Cymbals, pedals, thrones, kits, always something that looks too good to pass up!

Hi all,

I am a drummer who has an 8 year old son who started playing guitar 9 months ago. He started off on a used 3/4 scale Squire Strat but once I saw he was hooked and knew he would keep playing, I started to look into full size guitars and what brands/models to go with. After a lot of research my mind was pretty settled on a PRS. My son gave his input on what he saw/heard while I was doing my research and in the end we thought the SE 24 Standard would be a great match for him. At this point it was a "in the future, when you outgrow your Squire" plan. Two weeks later on FB Marketplace I came across a 4 month old SE 24 Standard in Cherry Red (the color he wanted) with a new gig bag for $300! Let's just say Christmas came early for my son this year. He even put $100 of his own money (Grandparents at birthday, allowance savings, etc.) towards the purchase so he has "skin in the game". The guitar is perfect, the seller came into some bills he needed to pay and this was the odd guitar out as he is a F guy and had a Tele and Strat. My son loves his new guitar and has no issues playing a full size at all. I look forward to learning a lot from this group.

OED
As a Dad, you RULE!

They are indeed pretty bad this year. It’s a cyclical thing, right? I need to get down to the park for an afternoon, but I’m not sure I want to see what’s likely to happen! :eek:

I heard Fulmer and Castellanos are on the trade block, hopefully they can continue to build up the farm system and we can have a watchable team again in 3-4 years.

Back