New head amp help

Yeah man! It was modeled after an Orange PPC212, so it's not a small cab, but the head still dwarves it!!

That's a good chunk of the reason I'm making the plans for the new 4x12..

If volume is an issue, I can vouch for the older PRS pine 212 cabs AND the PRS Big Mouth 212s. They absolutely sound great, and won’t blow you into the wall.

Here’s a pic of two PRS amps on PRS 212 cabs, they don’t look weird at all (these amps are the same size as your Dallas); the black 212 is roughly the same size as Mesa’s Recto 212 cab:

jxfJZKt.jpg

Yup, that's the dream, right? I don't think there's a way I can pull that off @ my listening levels w/o checking out some of those attenuators we discussed.

I dig it, I'm just having a hard time putting together a 4x12 diagram that's switchable. I'm trying to find something that'll allow me to switch b/w the two sides, so I can load her up w/ 2x blues & 2x V30s; with the ability to have 2, other 2, all 4. I can find that in an 8ohm, but not 16?
Maybe something like this would help...

https://www.radialeng.com/product/cabbone-ex

If each pair were wired as 8ohm, you could have 2 jacks, one for each. Then have a switch to put them in series.
Or something...

If volume is an issue, I can vouch for the older PRS pine 212 cabs AND the PRS Big Mouth 212s. They absolutely sound great, and won’t blow you into the wall.

Here’s a pic of two PRS amps on PRS 212 cabs, they don’t look weird at all (these amps are the same size as your Dallas); the black 212 is roughly the same size as Mesa’s Recto 212 cab:

Agreed, both of those are a far more complimentary match, size wise. Let's be honest tho: This really *is* coming together as a thinly veiled excuse to get in the shop to build a new cab. :D

Maybe something like this would help...

https://www.radialeng.com/product/cabbone-ex

If each pair were wired as 8ohm, you could have 2 jacks, one for each. Then have a switch to put them in series.
Or something...

That's cool, but I'm still holding out hope I can find a wiring diagram and 3 way switch that lets me pull it off...

jxfJZKt.jpg
Man, them's some nice jukeboxes!

Agreed, both of those are a far more complimentary match, size wise. Let's be honest tho: This really *is* coming together as a thinly veiled excuse to get in the shop to build a new cab. :D

I’d guess building something like the DG cab would sound great with the Dallas. It’s solid pine, and the rear panel has two large ports, so it has punch, but also a nice room-filling sound like an open back cab. The pine construction really does create a warmer sound, despite having a pair of V-30s. On the DG cab, the ports are also covered with grill cloth that matches the front grill cloth, a nice touch making the cab look cool in a room from either side.

Man, them's some nice jukeboxes!

Haha! Fun times with electricians.

Ok, there's a solution to this problem!! Short answer: Reduce, reuse, recycle!!

Theory: I can make a kicka$$ 4x12 for less than $200.
Start with a cheap, trashed 4x12.
Strip it down, buy replacement parts, refinish.
Load up with speakers pillaged from existing 2x12s.
Profit!!

Step one: Trashed cab
XvWr3ie.jpg

uBiXtCP.jpg

Strip it down and recover:
ZWHAF24.jpg

XZJdY4H.jpg

Add new hardware, grillcloth, piping, and it's looking GREAT again.
ArQEhvT.jpg

95eSTOk.jpg

Two major questions:
1) What speaker config? I have 2 of each (Alnico Blues, V30s, Greenbacks). I'm leaning towards 2 blues, 2 V30s
2) Should I put the logo back on the front?!?!?

Profit!!

XvWr3ie.jpg

uBiXtCP.jpg

ZWHAF24.jpg

XZJdY4H.jpg

ArQEhvT.jpg

95eSTOk.jpg

Two major questions:
1) What speaker config? I have 2 of each (Alnico Blues, V30s, Greenbacks). I'm leaning towards 2 blues, 2 V30s

Awesome job!

Man that looks great! Good job on that.

I'd go 2xV30s and 2xGreenbacks in X pattern. I've said before, V30/Blue is not my favorite mix, but it's all personal preference. That cab is made for a V30/Greenback mix though.

Man that looks great! Good job on that.

I'd go 2xV30s and 2xGreenbacks in X pattern. I've said before, V30/Blue is not my favorite mix, but it's all personal preference. That cab is made for a V30/Greenback mix though.

Yeah, I hear you, I'm just very torn...

I like the Blues, I think they're a more pure sound, especially on the high end. Their lower wattage is somewhat limiting though.
I like the V30s for the extra wattage they can take, and their overall utility. The fact that 4 V30s cost less than 2 blues doesn't help.
I dig the Greenbacks in the mix, and think they'd bring a unique tone and WOULD sound great with a pair of V30s..

I can't figure this out!!

Maybe I take your suggestion and go w/2x V30 and Greenbacks, and move both Blues to a dedicated 2x12...

Spectacular job, and yes, I’d add the logo just because. Mad skills, man. I’m all thumbs, could never do that!

I would strongly consider a G12H30 and Celestion Alnico (of some type) combination, just because I think it’s a great combination in a 212. But how that’d work in a 412 I have no idea.

As you know, 4 Greenbacks is kind of the classic setup in that cab.

4 Greenbacks is kind of the classic setup in that cab.
My thoughts exactly. I’d go so far as to invest in Scumbacks for this build. Though I’ve never actively pursued one, stumbling upon a trashed old 1960a/b has been a dream, to do just what you did...or leave it trashed and make it sound amazing.

Yeah, I hear you, I'm just very torn...

Maybe I take your suggestion and go w/2x V30 and Greenbacks, and move both Blues to a dedicated 2x12...

Ok, so I was thinking you already had those 6 speakers and were trying to decide how to mix. If you don't, and would be purchasing any other than the blues, then I'd go...

2 blues in their own semi open back cab. They have their own thing and that setup would fuel that.

Then in this cab I'd go two Warehouse ET65s and two Veterans. I LOVE the ET65 with my Archon and it's currently mixed with a V30, but I've heard several more guys lately say they prefer the Veteran over the V30 and they're cheaper. ET65/Vet in X pattern.

If you want "the best" the substitute Scumbacks instead.

I like Les' suggestion of H and higher powered alnico. That is a different "thing" than what I'm suggesting, which is why I said above that it depends so much on what tones you like. Some alnico in the mix adds that chewy vintage vibe.

Profit!!

XvWr3ie.jpg

uBiXtCP.jpg

ZWHAF24.jpg

XZJdY4H.jpg

ArQEhvT.jpg

95eSTOk.jpg

Two major questions:

Dude, that looks killer! Wonderful job! I dig Greenbacks, but have never had them in more than a 1x12. I did put a 50w Alnico in a Mesa Recto 2x12, and left the other V30 in it. I was pleased with how it sounded. Still, as others have said, the V30s are meant for that cab.

As for the logo, go with something new. Eagle, Globe & Anchor, or script Semper Fi.

Ok, I guess I wasn't clear, apologies!

I "thought" I had 2 each of Blues, Greenback, and V30s, but my math (or memory) was bad. What I had was 2 each Blues and V30s, but only one Greenback. I decided the plan was to put 2 V30s and 2 Greenbacks in this cab, and change the Orange 2x12 clone to 2x Blues.

BUT

I guess I only have one Greenback, b/c that's all I could find today! So, temporarily (until the 2nd Greenback gets here), I'm going with this setup, but I'll swap out the Blue soon:
OHQWsVg.jpg

So, here are the before and after looks at the setup:
H5fZFx8.jpg

D7KnoNm.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I wasn't clear, apologies!

I "thought" I had 2 each of Blues, Greenback, and V30s, but my math (or memory) was bad. What I had was 2 each Blues and V30s, but only one Greenback. I decided the plan was to put 2 V30s and 2 Greenbacks in this cab, and change the Orange 2x12 clone to 2x Blues.

BUT

I guess I only have one Greenback, b/c that's all I could find today! So, temporarily (until the 2nd Greenback gets here), I'm going with this setup, but I'll swap out the Blue soon:
OHQWsVg.jpg

So, here are the before and after looks at the setup:
H5fZFx8.jpg

IcPHSnx.jpg

That 4x12 just looks so right!

That 4x12 just looks so right!

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I dig your idea of the custom script, any idea how to make that happen? I think I could pull it off on a CNC, but wondering if there are any other options out there.

Now I gotta quit typing and see how she sounds...

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I dig your idea of the custom script, any idea how to make that happen? I think I could pull it off on a CNC, but wondering if there are any other options out there.

Now I gotta quit typing and see how she sounds...

I would think anywhere that makes signs, or banners could do it. Know anyone with a 3D printer?

Back