New head amp help

I thought there were update posts in here. :mad:

Lol, sorry, I've been slacking!! So far I can say a few things:
- I can't ever imagine needing more than this amp provides. It's just so. friggin. amazeballs!! (jinx! double-jinx!!)
- Cleans for days. I haven't even put a pedal in the mix yet, just playing with the cleans, bright, and reverb.
- I'm playing a lot more SRV lately. My Pride and Joy sounds nothing like his, but it *might* not be the amp's fault. ;)
- I'm not even close to hitting the sweet spot on it @ my "normal" playing levels. After playing w/the Master & Volume for a while I can get more, but definitely need an attenuator to get close
- I'm thinking it's time to build a new 4x12 cab.
- Love this thing!!

So glad you like it! Ignoring the sheer power on tap, have you experimented with different cabs and speakers? There’s a bunch of fun lurking behind that corner. Even a 1x12 with a 16 ohm speaker (almost any variety) is fantastic. In fact, a 1x12 w/ WGS ET65 is one of my favs.

Both of my cabs that you've seen in various pics (the black and orange) are 2x12s I built myself.

I loaded the black (Marshall ripoff) w/a couple of 16 ohm V30s (that I recycled out of an older Marshall 4x12). It's switched to act as mono or stereo, which is how I'm running it now.

The orange one is newer, built exactly to the Orange spec for a semi-closed 2x12. It's loaded w/a greenback and an alnico blue, and is wired straight up as stereo.

I'm thinking about adding another cab to the stable, a 4x12. I prefer the V30s over the greenback, so I'm thinking about loading it up w/2 blues and 2 V30s...

It’s great that you’re digging it! I’d say Boogie has great advice as to dialing in the amp, since he’s an experienced player who uses his.

My only suggestion with PRS’ great single channel amps would be to set it up so the amp just begins to crunch a tiny bit with the guitar’s volume about halfway up. Then you can control the gain from the guitar really effectively. Roll down for cleaner tones, roll up for more distortion.

A fine single channel amp can take you places no two-channel amp can go in quite the same way.

It’s great that you’re digging it! I’d say Boogie has great advice as to dialing in the amp, since he’s an experienced player who uses his.

My only suggestion with PRS’ great single channel amps would be to set it up so the amp just begins to crunch a tiny bit with the guitar’s volume about halfway up. Then you can control the gain from the guitar really effectively. Roll down for cleaner tones, roll up for more distortion.

A fine single channel amp can take you places no two-channel amp can go in quite the same way.
Yup, that's the dream, right? I don't think there's a way I can pull that off @ my listening levels w/o checking out some of those attenuators we discussed.

In all seriousness, at least on my Super Dallas, 16 ohm total loads feel the best to me.

I dig it, I'm just having a hard time putting together a 4x12 diagram that's switchable. I'm trying to find something that'll allow me to switch b/w the two sides, so I can load her up w/ 2x blues & 2x V30s; with the ability to have 2, other 2, all 4. I can find that in an 8ohm, but not 16?

I'm trying to find something that'll allow me to switch b/w the two sides, so I can load her up w/ 2x blues & 2x V30s;
Mind if I ask why you chose to pair those two speakers? Have you tried them together before?

Mind if I ask why you chose to pair those two speakers? Have you tried them together before?

Not at all, I dig the input and feedback!

I have 2 DIY cabs that I play through now, one is a 2x12 w/that combo. I dig the vibe I get from them, salty, vintage, warm, and good low end OR throw it into OD and bust out the Humbuckers. I thought about changing up to Golds, but I just don't need that kind of power to play @ my normal levels.

What do you think?

Yup, that's the dream, right? I don't think there's a way I can pull that off @ my listening levels w/o checking out some of those attenuators we discussed.

I dig it, I'm just having a hard time putting together a 4x12 diagram that's switchable. I'm trying to find something that'll allow me to switch b/w the two sides, so I can load her up w/ 2x blues & 2x V30s; with the ability to have 2, other 2, all 4. I can find that in an 8ohm, but not 16?
Simple solution...buy a 1x12 cab! :D

Get all 16 ohm or all 4 ohm speakers and you can get to 16 ohm final impedance with a combination of parallel-series or series-series.

Simple solution...buy a 1x12 cab! :D

Get all 16 ohm or all 4 ohm speakers and you can get to 16 ohm final impedance with a combination of parallel-series or series-series.

1x12? I already have a couple 2x12 running @ 16ohm, and I'm looking for MOAR! Starting to have crazy thoughts about building it out of hardwood. If Mahogany makes a nice body, it *must* make a good cab...

Yeah, I'm planning on 4x 16 ohm for this, but getting the final in any switchable configuration is the key...

Not at all, I dig the input and feedback!

I have 2 DIY cabs that I play through now, one is a 2x12 w/that combo. I dig the vibe I get from them, salty, vintage, warm, and good low end OR throw it into OD and bust out the Humbuckers. I thought about changing up to Golds, but I just don't need that kind of power to play @ my normal levels.

What do you think?

When the V30 was created, Celestion was trying to create a ceramic version of the Blue. While there are significant differences in their tone, Celestion themselves have said that they do sound "very similar" and that was the design goal. So, I only ask why mix those two instead of two more "different" speakers. If you have already tried and like that mix, then that's all that matters. I liked the blend of other speakers better but it's all personal taste AND what tones you're going for.

The Blue's being lighter bottom end than the higher power alnicos, the V30s will add significantly to that. I preferred the higher powered alnicos I've tried (currently use a Red Fang) and liked mixing it with other speakers better than V30s. A high powered Greenback (Private Jack) and the Red Fang make a heck of a more vintagey tone with every amp I tried. One stack I'm using now at times, is a the Red Fang in an open back cab, on top of the Emi EM12/Mesa Thiele cab on bottom. That's an interesting combo with the Archon and ATMA!

But my current favorite cab/speaker combo is my Dr. Z Zbest cab (basically a 2xThiele!) with Warehouse ET65 and V30. And I like the ET65 so well I'm thinking about trying other speakers in place of the V30... maybe the ET90.

1x12? I already have a couple 2x12 running @ 16ohm, and I'm looking for MOAR! Starting to have crazy thoughts about building it out of hardwood. If Mahogany makes a nice body, it *must* make a good cab...

Yeah, I'm planning on 4x 16 ohm for this, but getting the final in any switchable configuration is the key...

Make it an oversize 4x12, like Lifeson's!

y7ZT1oQ.jpg

When the V30 was created, Celestion was trying to create a ceramic version of the Blue. While there are significant differences in their tone, Celestion themselves have said that they do sound "very similar" and that was the design goal. So, I only ask why mix those two instead of two more "different" speakers. If you have already tried and like that mix, then that's all that matters. I liked the blend of other speakers better but it's all personal taste AND what tones you're going for.

The Blue's being lighter bottom end than the higher power alnicos, the V30s will add significantly to that. I preferred the higher powered alnicos I've tried (currently use a Red Fang) and liked mixing it with other speakers better than V30s. A high powered Greenback (Private Jack) and the Red Fang make a heck of a more vintagey tone with every amp I tried. One stack I'm using now at times, is a the Red Fang in an open back cab, on top of the Emi EM12/Mesa Thiele cab on bottom. That's an interesting combo with the Archon and ATMA!

But my current favorite cab/speaker combo is my Dr. Z Zbest cab (basically a 2xThiele!) with Warehouse ET65 and V30. And I like the ET65 so well I'm thinking about trying other speakers in place of the V30... maybe the ET90.

That's really interesting to me, I never knew that the V30s were intended to be a ceramic version of the blue. IMO, they have completely different personalities. I love them each for what I think they do best, just like my Grandma once told me. :D

I think the Blue is great for a lot of the older 50s & 60s stuff, or when I'm breaking out the Tele to get a little Texas Twang on.

I prefer the V30 for those tone moments that have me grabbing something with a humbucker and a bunch of fuzz.

Together, I think they cover a lot more of the whole picture.

I've never checked out the Red Fang though, so methinks I'm going to have to try to find somewhere to check one out before I make any final decisions...

I've never checked out the Red Fang though, so methinks I'm going to have to try to find somewhere to check one out before I make any final decisions...
In general, the higher power Alnicos are a little less bright, with more solid mids and deeper bottom end, while retaining that chewy texture we love so much about Alinco speakers.

Back