New Guy, Santana Questions

Axis39

New guy, never owned a PRS before. But. been interested in the SE Santanas a little over the last couple of years. Stumbled onto one the other day in a store, finally getting to try one out. I liked it a lot.

There's a different one in an online shopping cart right now... and my credit card finger is getting itchy!

Thinking about replacing my 2015 Gibson Double Cut Special with the Santana. I liked the neck better for sure. A bit thicker front to back, and still a nice beefy width.

I've read a couple of comments about the trems and maybe tuners. What are everyone's thoughts on these guitars?

I played several 2015 LP DCs when they came out but never took one home.

I am tempted by Santanas too. I am not too familiar with them though. They have an even shorter scale if I remember correctly. It all comes down to the sound for me. If I found one with a sweet voice, the pension fund might have to take a hit.

The good thing about your Gibson DC is that they seem to be holding their price very well. People like them!

Yeah, the DC Specials from '15 were met with a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth by Gibson fanboys. I kinda liked the features. Only thing is, every double cut Special Gibson produces has a skinny neck. I've been looking for more girth in the neck since i bought my Special.

I'll give the pickups a chance before instantly ripping them out.... because I did go ahead and pull the trigger. Should be in on Wednesday.

Then, I guess I gotta compare the two and see if the Santana kicks the Special to the curb.

OP, depends on what you like. The biggest thing you can do, for cheap, is replace the stock nut with a PRS Core US version. As for the rest, eveything is solid. However, some people like locking tuners, which are an easy swap. I do it on all guitars with out them. But that's cuz I am lazy when it comes to changing/stretching stings. If you were going to do the trem, I,would suggest the NOS MannMade, since his are one piece. Besides, he invented the darn thing!

Welcome to the forum. Better still, welcome to Club Santana.

Last edited:
OP, depends on what you like. The biggest thing you can do, for cheap, is replace the stock nut with a PRS Core US version. As for the rest, eveything is solid. However, some people like locking tuners, which are an easy swap. I do it on all guitars with out them. But that's cuz I am lazy when it comes to changing/stretching stings. Ifmyoumwere going to do the trem, I,would suggest the NOS MannMade, since his are one piece. Besides, he invented the darn thing!

Welcome to the forum. Better still, welcome to Club Santana.

Thanks!

I did notice the strings were kinda buried in the nut on the guitar I tried.

I've read a couple of folks mention this MannMade trem. Guess I'll see what it's about.

Thanks!

I did notice the strings were kinda buried in the nut on the guitar I tried.

I've read a couple of folks mention this MannMade trem. Guess I'll see what it's about.

John Mann's Guitar Vault is what you are looking for. He designed the PRS trem. The one piece that he reproduces now is great.

New guy, never owned a PRS before. But. been interested in the SE Santanas a little over the last couple of years. Stumbled onto one the other day in a store, finally getting to try one out. I liked it a lot.

There's a different one in an online shopping cart right now... and my credit card finger is getting itchy!

Thinking about replacing my 2015 Gibson Double Cut Special with the Santana. I liked the neck better for sure. A bit thicker front to back, and still a nice beefy width.

I've read a couple of comments about the trems and maybe tuners. What are everyone's thoughts on these guitars?
I have 2014 classic LPDC and absolutely love it.

NGD post coming tomorrow... But, I knew I needed to post pics at a minimum!

Dt0avbV.jpg

8j0vmgK.jpg

Jn7iMbL.jpg

OP I went with the S2 Mira for that short horn but Im a 22 fret guy, honestly when I saw that pic I thought it was a Core guitar its so nice and I played an SE Santana recently at a store and it was FANTASTIC think youre gonna love it...

I've had an SE Santana for about a year and love it, ticks all of the "intangible" boxes for a guy that started playing guitar while "Smooth" was constantly on the radio. Gibson Double-Cutaway is a great guitar, too, but when I see one I always think, "Oh, they're trying to compete with the Santana shape" rather than the other way around.

There's an old ad for the Gibson L6-S with the tagline, "Santana calls it his rainbow", though, that's pretty cool.

Definitely look into locking tuners, mine went out of tune whenever string bending got dramatic. MannMade makes some that are a direct replacement, no drilling required. Haven't messed with the pickups yet but I'm thinking that'll happen in the near future, the stock pups aren't as dynamic to pick attack as I would like.

Aside from the nut (which I would replace immediately), and putting on locking tuners, I’d suggest you live with the guitar for a few weeks to see what you think. Sometimes the stock trem is good, and sometimes it does need to be changed. Everything else depends on what you want to hear, and whether or not it’s a keeper.

Back