New Guy PS question

LumpBlockClod

Background: Never owned a PRS (lusted for one since I can remember), bedroom/dad band player, recently promoted to where I'll be able to swing the cost (maybe?).

Basically I'm looking to get a Hollowbody II, but have no need for and don't want the piezo mucking up the picture. Now I know that would entail a few changes but they seem like it would be *not* doing a few things (that honkin' cut for the piezo connection, skip a knob and switch on the top). Would something like that require full blown PStock treatment or is there a poor man's private stock for minor (?) changes to stock models?

If I had to go full PS, could think of a few more requests I'm sure (move pup switch away from f-hole, 'bound' f-holes, maybe new Paul's guitar bridge if possible, coil-tap switches a la Paul's guitar, maybe even a Grissom neck carve (not played one of those but I have smallish hands I understand DG neck is nice for maybe?).

So basic question is, is there an easy way to get hold of piezoless HBii or will I have to save up (even w/ recent promotion) and go PS which would be a big hammer for a pretty small nail?

As far as I know, you'd need the big hammer.

I had to use that hammer to get maple back and sides for my Tonare Grand acoustic. The good news is that the big hammer is a pretty cool tool! ;)

Welcome to the forum!!! Having just purchased a HB2 recently I can tell you confidently it's a great choice. I also had a number of modifications done to it, so I can share my experiences.

First off...you won't be able to get it without a piezo, or with a different bridge or switching scheme (initially anyway) without going private stock. If you go private stock...you can get anything you want...sky is the limit, but the price adds up quickly. They have an Artist package for that model which will allow you to choose different neck/FB (maple or IRW neck, BRW or Ebony FB), a pickup choice between 57/08 (excellent "vintage-style" PAF) and 59/09 (a bit "hotter"), it will also come with a nicer, artist grade"10" top and back, and you can select some special colors that aren't available in their "core" line. Both of these pickup choices can be split, and sound great, but the standard one's that come with the model (even with the artist package) are not wired for coil-splitting...I had to replace the stock 57/08's that came with mine with another 57/08 set to get this option. These pickups are popular and it would have been easy to sell the originals, but I put them into another guitar, improving it dramatically, so win-win. They have a tech shop (The PTC) that will do all of this work (and anything else you can imagine) for you and they are great. I was initially hesitant to ship such a nice guitar back and forth to Maryland, but I've done it with several of my PS guitars now and never had a problem (they are fast, safely packaged, always excellent work). They can add coil splits, add or remove control knobs, change bridges, etc...but obviously there are cosmetic implications. Another forum member had the idea of removing the piezo himself and converted the 3 way piezo selector to a coil split switch...he posted pictures of it on here...gave me chest pain personally...but I'm sure PTC could do this safely for you.

I feel compelled to tell you that the piezo sounds excellent, you may want to check one out. It works best using the two separate outputs, one to your regular electric guitar amp and the other to an acoustic amp or DI>PA. I figured out a way to have them modify the electronics to give me the option of splitting each pickup individually (the SC/HB combinations are my favorite) and keep the piezo without cosmetically altering the control layout. If you'r interested I could fill you in on the details.

Anyway...good luck...whatever you decide I'm sure you'll love the instrument.

I thought you could get HB II's without piezo. Hmm...I will pay closer attention while shopping over the next few days.

I thought you could get HB II's without piezo. Hmm...I will pay closer attention while shopping over the next few days.

It used to be an option...looks like it's standard now. I know some don't like the sound of a piezo, but these sound excellent (and there are many DI and pre-amp options now for improving the piezo sound), and you can switch it off without affecting the tone of the magnetics. Not sure why anyone wouldn't want that additional option, even if they didn't use it a lot. I think it's very nice of PRS to include it as standard on this model.

Thanks for the replies, looks like I may be looking at a Private Stock process. I'm sure I'll be back for more input in thr future.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't want that additional option, even if they didn't use it a lot. I think it's very nice of PRS to include it as standard on this model.

It's not that I wouldn't use very often, it's that I wouldn't use *ever*... just not interested. If it was an option I'd have already pulled the trigger (or on a stoptail Custom 24, dunno why that's standard either).

It used to be an option...looks like it's standard now. I know some don't like the sound of a piezo, but these sound excellent (and there are many DI and pre-amp options now for improving the piezo sound), and you can switch it off without affecting the tone of the magnetics. Not sure why anyone wouldn't want that additional option, even if they didn't use it a lot. I think it's very nice of PRS to include it as standard on this model.

+1!

No, it's not a mic'd acoustic guitar. Yes, it's one of the best sounding piezo systems out there, and adds some color to the mag pickups, if you choose to use it as such. Yes, in a band setting, it cops a decent acoustic sound. No, it doesn't really get in the way of an awesome electric guitar.

Another option is to check out the used market. The piezo used to be an option, but is now standard. There are a bunch floating around out there without the piezo. I think I also recently saw some NOS HB Is or IIs without the piezo while online browsing...

That said, if you can go PS, DO IT! We all wanna see!

RE: used market (reused lol)... thought about it, but tbh after lusting for my own PRS for so long, used just wouldn't do it for me. Call it what you will, but there it is. Vaguely aware that there are NOS out there but haven't really looked into it.

Look for a 1999 or earlier HBII. That would be after the hollow-bodies came out, but before the LR Baggs piezo was perfected. That's reason my special order HB1 does not have a piezo.

Back