New guy and considering a PRS.

Dude, You just turned 68, and are planning to buy "your last guitar ?" Lets Hope Not ! :)

I just turned 69, don't play half as much as you. Don't have the skills to play in public without getting stoned (no, not drugged, folks actually throwing rocks at me ) :(

And I now have 2 more, possibly 3 guitars in my acquisition planning schedule !!! :p

THE GUITAR YOU LEFT OFF YOUR LIST : and probably the coolest is the SE Hollowbody II

It , like the S2 McCartys has the 58/15S pickups (in probably the best install for them)

It's neck carve, "Wide Fat", is not really either, but very comfortable for even a small hands dude like myself .

The S2 594 's are indeed beautiful, but have the chunkiest PRS neck carve, in that Pattern Vintage

The S2 594 Thinline , I have (as well as the HB2) and despite its "petite" size, is a winner from head to toe, and is a sweetie as well . There is something about the density of the guitar chassis (I'm a former car guy, so I think in automobile terms) where the less dense chassis (Thinline & Hollowbody) seem to be a better home for the 58/15S

A pickup winder guy said once in general, that lower output pickups , like Alnico 2 PAF types , sound better is less massive guitars . That in chunkier guitars, Like the LP and The 594 DC/SC, an Alnico 5 is a better match..Clearly just speculation here, as PRS don't say what the heck is in the pickup, but it would be interesting to know ...;)

It also might explain, why folks that buy the Hollowbody and the Thinline, seem to like the 58/15S pickup set, more so than folks that buy the 594 DC/SC chassis ...

With the stuff you are considering, you will not make a mistake. But you will have to return later, to cop the ones you did not cop on the first pass ! :p
To me the 58/15s are much better in the HB II. I've had both and the HB II makes those pickups sing!

Back