New guy and considering a PRS.

Thank you folks for all of the good advice. I can tell you're all very passionate about these guitars. I have yet to go out and try some but I am planning on it in about a week or two. Been taking care of other things, like raking up leaves!

I know when I do try some PRS's out, I am going to be very, very nit-picky with the neck pickups. I watched the video with Joe Walsh talking about his signature McCarty model (what a character he is! Love him!) and I couldn't agree more with him when he said the neck pickups in new guitar have way too many low mids. That observation is spot on. I had to make drastic pickup height adjustments on my Epiphone SG in order to get the boom factor out of the neck pickup. To me, it makes the guitar sound very unbalanced.

I got the guitar in my lap right now and am going to take measurements to give you an idea of what I had to do. Using a pair of dial calipers, the top of the bridge pickup is .130 above the pickup surround, while the neck pickup is .050 below its pickup surround. And, I have the pole pieces on the neck pickup about .050 above the top of the pickup in an attempt to bring some clarity back into the equation. It's about as close as I can get to the way I like to hear it but obviously it's not ideal. Yeah, it took the boom away but the clarity is not there. At least not to where I want to hear it. I've been considering getting new pickups for this guitar but then I came across a video where you turn the neck pickups tone control into a bass cut instead of the standard treble cut. It's a cheap mod and it just might be the perfect fix for this guitar.

Of course, playability is the key factor. As mentioned, I'm 68 years old and I spent 30 years of my life in CNC machine shops. Lot's of rough and abusive hard work on my hands. My hands don't hurt but I can tell "things are changing a bit." If the neck doesn't work for me then why bother to go any further. But if the pickups don't balance out, if the neck pickup has that boom to the point of making the bridge pickup sound weak then the guitar goes back on the shelf.

But I am really looking forward to trying some PRS models out.

Edit/afterthought: Offhand, the one model I'm most eager to try is the 594 S2 Thinline due to it's shorter scale length. As far as playability, my Epiphone SG is very comfortable due to it's shorter scale length and it's also very comfortable sitting and standing. Some guitars don't "sit" very well. The position of the neck in relation to the body works very well for me compared to other guitars.

Last edited:
This turns me around on the 594 controls, thanks for the technique description! Phil Keaggy is pretty damn good!
Oh yeah, and a great guy too. Been a fan of his since the 70s… the first Christian artist I could really connect with. Just a monster on guitar, and equally adept in acoustic music. A special musician.

. I like to leave room for the kick drum and bass in a mix, and there's no real reason (for me) that a guitar needs to have a lot of bass.
Preach it Les - This is the primary fact I like to use to disarm the "LP has more bass than a 594 or any PRS, so the Lp is better..." argument. Let the "big men" (bass and kick, even the keys in some instances) do their job, and don't worry about piling on the bass to create a mushy mix. Know your lane.

Yes sir, also great for the Phil Keaggy bowed string sound. Bridge volume on 10, neck at 0, guitar is silent. Roll up the neck volume with a pinky slightly after the picked note and, bam, perfect volume swells without the need to roll the pot all the way to 10 on each note. Only works with guitars wired this way!
Wow, that is great info Rick! I thought I was an idiot (may still be for other reasons) when I could not figure out how turning down one volume knob made the guitar go silent!! I will have to try that technique and at least now, some sanity has been restored in my head for the 594 HBII I play so much!!!

Dude, You just turned 68, and are planning to buy "your last guitar ?" Lets Hope Not ! :)

I just turned 69, don't play half as much as you. Don't have the skills to play in public without getting stoned (no, not drugged, folks actually throwing rocks at me ) :(

And I now have 2 more, possibly 3 guitars in my acquisition planning schedule !!! :p

THE GUITAR YOU LEFT OFF YOUR LIST : and probably the coolest is the SE Hollowbody II

It , like the S2 McCartys has the 58/15S pickups (in probably the best install for them)

It's neck carve, "Wide Fat", is not really either, but very comfortable for even a small hands dude like myself .

The S2 594 's are indeed beautiful, but have the chunkiest PRS neck carve, in that Pattern Vintage

The S2 594 Thinline , I have (as well as the HB2) and despite its "petite" size, is a winner from head to toe, and is a sweetie as well . There is something about the density of the guitar chassis (I'm a former car guy, so I think in automobile terms) where the less dense chassis (Thinline & Hollowbody) seem to be a better home for the 58/15S

A pickup winder guy said once in general, that lower output pickups , like Alnico 2 PAF types , sound better is less massive guitars . That in chunkier guitars, Like the LP and The 594 DC/SC, an Alnico 5 is a better match..Clearly just speculation here, as PRS don't say what the heck is in the pickup, but it would be interesting to know ...;)

It also might explain, why folks that buy the Hollowbody and the Thinline, seem to like the 58/15S pickup set, more so than folks that buy the 594 DC/SC chassis ...

With the stuff you are considering, you will not make a mistake. But you will have to return later, to cop the ones you did not cop on the first pass ! :p

Well, after church today I went to my favorite local music store and tried out some PRS guitars for the first time. They only had 5 in stock but it was a start. By habit, I never plug guitars in when I try them for the first time. (Just my way of doing things).

1) Used Bernie Marsden.
2) Zach Meyers
3) SE Custom 24
4) S2 Starla w/bigsby
5) Starla X model.

I'll get to it real quick here. For playing comfort while sitting, for the neck placement in relation to my body and for what felt best with my fretting hand it was the Starla models. The Starla X model actually felt best but maybe it had a better setup. Not that the S2 Starla was shabby because it was quite comfortable. After I got home I checked PRS's site and found out the Starla has the Wide Fat neck shape which surprised me. I had heard of that shape but imagined it to be something quite different. Checked out some Starla video's on You Tube and offhand I really liked what I was hearing. Clear but yet it had some girth to the sound and of what I could tell the neck pickup didn't sound boomey/droney. (Gawd, I hate that boom!!). Anybody here own the S2 Starla and what are your impressions? I'm thinking about going back there tomorrow to put it to the test.

Last night I was checking out other PRS video's on You Tube and was very, very surprised and impressed with the sounds from the S2 Vela semi hollow body. Probably more so than any other PRS demo I've heard to far. I would really like to try one of these out. Asked the store owner if he knew when some may be arriving, he looked on the computer and said "don't hold your breath." Said PRS was back logged before covid hit and that they are really back logged now. He said I could order one for you but chances are it could take at least a year before you'd see one. Bummer.

Well, after church today I went to my favorite local music store and tried out some PRS guitars for the first time. They only had 5 in stock but it was a start. By habit, I never plug guitars in when I try them for the first time. (Just my way of doing things).

1) Used Bernie Marsden.
2) Zach Meyers
3) SE Custom 24
4) S2 Starla w/bigsby
5) Starla X model.

I'll get to it real quick here. For playing comfort while sitting, for the neck placement in relation to my body and for what felt best with my fretting hand it was the Starla models. The Starla X model actually felt best but maybe it had a better setup. Not that the S2 Starla was shabby because it was quite comfortable. After I got home I checked PRS's site and found out the Starla has the Wide Fat neck shape which surprised me. I had heard of that shape but imagined it to be something quite different. Checked out some Starla video's on You Tube and offhand I really liked what I was hearing. Clear but yet it had some girth to the sound and of what I could tell the neck pickup didn't sound boomey/droney. (Gawd, I hate that boom!!). Anybody here own the S2 Starla and what are your impressions? I'm thinking about going back there tomorrow to put it to the test.

Last night I was checking out other PRS video's on You Tube and was very, very surprised and impressed with the sounds from the S2 Vela semi hollow body. Probably more so than any other PRS demo I've heard to far. I would really like to try one of these out. Asked the store owner if he knew when some may be arriving, he looked on the computer and said "don't hold your breath." Said PRS was back logged before covid hit and that they are really back logged now. He said I could order one for you but chances are it could take at least a year before you'd see one. Bummer.

The Starla and D-Type single coil in the Vela are fantastic pickups. I have the same in my S2 Studio, and it's the only S2 guitar I've not changed anything on. The Starla pickups are bright and jangly, but not excessively so. In fact, I had a boomy neck pickup in my S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow, changed it out for an S2 Starla pickup, and love it.

If memory serves, the S2 Starla has the pattern regular carve. The Starla X, my memory is fuzzy, but I had a Mira X for a while, and it was a 24.5" scale, wide/fat, nice and bright sounding, and probably the lightest solid body guitar I've ever played! I want to say the Starla X had the same spec neck, but not positive about that.

The Starla or Vela would be two more excellent choices. Bonus to the Vela, semi hollow guitars are really nice for P&W music. The semi hollow body has a more relaxed note attack, so you can lean into it more when playing and not get an abrasive or overly aggressive note attack in that more laid back mix. The 594 Thinline would probably be a good one for you, too, if you want a more traditional humbucker sound.

Oh yeah, and a great guy too. Been a fan of his since the 70s… the first Christian artist I could really connect with. Just a monster on guitar, and equally adept in acoustic music. A special musician.

I saw him on the 30th anniversary tour for "The Master and The Musician," and it was probably the most incredible display of musicianship I've ever experienced. The tour came to my college, and to be honest I wasn't even familiar with the album, but I was absolutely blown away by the show. All I knew was he mostly played acoustic at that time, so to see him on electric again was something I shouldn't miss. And, man, am I glad I didn't miss it!

I love the way the Vela Semi-Hollow sounds. It's seriously cool. I have a Special Semi-Hollow that's more like a Custom 22, and absolutely think it's wonderful, too.

PRS does a super-nice job with semi-hollow guitars in its line.

They do, and it's very telling to see how many models have a semi-hollow option now, compared to how rare they used to be. The word is out!

I thought we would be seeing S2 594 Semi Hollows by now - I still think they're coming, my guess is delayed by COVID.

The Starla and D-Type single coil in the Vela are fantastic pickups. I have the same in my S2 Studio, and it's the only S2 guitar I've not changed anything on. The Starla pickups are bright and jangly, but not excessively so. In fact, I had a boomy neck pickup in my S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow, changed it out for an S2 Starla pickup, and love it.

If memory serves, the S2 Starla has the pattern regular carve. The Starla X, my memory is fuzzy, but I had a Mira X for a while, and it was a 24.5" scale, wide/fat, nice and bright sounding, and probably the lightest solid body guitar I've ever played! I want to say the Starla X had the same spec neck, but not positive about that.

The Starla or Vela would be two more excellent choices. Bonus to the Vela, semi hollow guitars are really nice for P&W music. The semi hollow body has a more relaxed note attack, so you can lean into it more when playing and not get an abrasive or overly aggressive note attack in that more laid back mix. The 594 Thinline would probably be a good one for you, too, if you want a more traditional humbucker sound.

I saw him on the 30th anniversary tour for "The Master and The Musician," and it was probably the most incredible display of musicianship I've ever experienced. The tour came to my college, and to be honest I wasn't even familiar with the album, but I was absolutely blown away by the show. All I knew was he mostly played acoustic at that time, so to see him on electric again was something I shouldn't miss. And, man, am I glad I didn't miss it!

They do, and it's very telling to see how many models have a semi-hollow option now, compared to how rare they used to be. The word is out!

I thought we would be seeing S2 594 Semi Hollows by now - I still think they're coming, my guess is delayed by COVID.

You're memory serves you right on the Starla neck. the S2 had the familiar S2 25 pattern regular and the X has the 24.5 wide fat. I'll admit I haven't played the X, but I was having a conversation about one the other day and the neck profile came up.

You're memory serves you right on the Starla neck. the S2 had the familiar S2 25 pattern regular and the X has the 24.5 wide fat. I'll admit I haven't played the X, but I was having a conversation about one the other day and the neck profile came up.

I was pretty floored when I stumbled upon one used and it had the W/F neck with a 24.5" scale and beefy frets. Ended up selling it just based on how bright it sounded and was a little bit out of the ballpark from my other PRS guitars, which was dumb. It had a wonderful, beefy Tele with humbuckers thing going on.

Unfortunately, I think the wood they used on the necks on these was maybe a little too soft - the truss rod on mine pushed right through into the neck pickup cavity after a while. Minor adjustments here and there trying to keep the action right, nothing crazy. PTC was gracious enough to repair it for me.

Greetings! I'm new here and am soon to start searching for what I want to be my last guitar. (Famous last words, right?). Well, this has to be. I'm 68 and was a bass player for years. Started learning guitar around 2000 but progress for very slow due to the amount of hours I work working at the time. Finally retired in March of 2020 but things on guitar were delayed for about a year due to a family issue.

My only "gig" is at church where I've been playing bass since 2009 and also guitar since 2016. They like what I do on guitar and it's pretty much all I play there and at home these days. Doing my best to improve now that I have good time on my hands. i have a few guitars and am at the point where I know what I like and what I don't.

I've been checking out multiple video's about PRS guitars and like very much what I'm hearing and seeing! For the most part I believe I've pretty much narrowed it down to 3 guitars that I'd like to try.

1) S2 Custom 22
2) S2 McCarty 594
3) S2 McCarty 594 Thin Line.

As you can gather I'm at a certain price point that I don't want to exceed. I'm also hoping I'll have no trouble finding all three of these to try out. One big question I have is regarding the neck shapes and what the differences are.

S2 Custom 22: Pattern Regular Neck
S2 McCarty 594: Pattern Vintage Neck
S2 McCarty 594 Thin Line: Pattern Thin Neck

Is there a huge difference with each of these necks?

I need a fair amount of tones at church ranging from clean, mild overdriven and a good crunch tone. Of what I can tell the mentioned PRS guitars could pretty much cover my needs. I also like how these guitars sound using the push pull pots. Love the middle tones especially. I can think of a few uses for that one already!

One other thing. I love humbuckers but I have a problem with neck HB's. I have a LP and an Epiphone SG Pro and on both guitars the neck pickup seems to have this droney/bassey boom that makes the bridge pickup sound weak in comparison. I've done every imaginable height adjustment imaginable and can't quite get it to sound the way i would like. Generally, I have the bridge pickups tone control on about 5 and on the neck pickup the tone is on 10 and the volume is on about 6 or 7. It takes the boom away and the pickups even out, but it sounds like a pickup that's turned down. Can't get the full effect. Any problems like that with PRS's neck humbuckers?

I'm not what I would call a great player, but one who holds his own and delivers what's expected using what talents I may have to the best of my ability. I'm also keenly aware of my faults and flaws on guitar but am now doing what I can to make a huge improvement in all areas. Long way to go but now that I have the time I'm all for it! I'm just hoping to find a guitar that feels like it was made for my hands.

Any and all advice is more than welcome. Thanks and have a great day!

I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. Hopefully you get to try them all out (can you say return to GC if you dont like it lol).

I was pretty floored when I stumbled upon one used and it had the W/F neck with a 24.5" scale and beefy frets. Ended up selling it just based on how bright it sounded and was a little bit out of the ballpark from my other PRS guitars, which was dumb. It had a wonderful, beefy Tele with humbuckers thing going on.

Unfortunately, I think the wood they used on the necks on these was maybe a little too soft - the truss rod on mine pushed right through into the neck pickup cavity after a while. Minor adjustments here and there trying to keep the action right, nothing crazy. PTC was gracious enough to repair it for me.

When you described the S2 Starla as having "a wonderful, beefy Tele with humbuckers thing going on" that's kinda what I'm looking for. I do have Tele that I played for a long time, but the high end was always to thin for me. I even put a set of DiMarzio's in it, the Area T neck and Area T Hot bridge because they said it would get me more into the humbucker side of things. I loved the clarity and what I call "the snark" on the lower strings but the higher strings were still too thin sounding for my liking. (The soundman at church even mentioned this). That's when I got my Epiphone SG. Gave me that beef on the higher strings of which I love. But I still miss that clarity I got from the Tele.

One thing that I really love about the SG is the way it positions itself on my body. Sitting or standing I haven't found a guitar that suits me better. I'll try to describe it the best I can because I'm also looking for this in a guitar. I'm right handed and when I practice sitting I have my right leg on top of my left leg. With the guitar on my right leg, the end of the neck (by the neck pickup) is right in line with the middle of my body and the 12th fret is right in line with the left side of my body. When I stand, those two area's move about 1 inch to the left. So the way the neck is positioned in relation to "me" is very comfortable.

But at times I do end up fighting the SG. Certain chord shaped are difficult for me due to problems with my hands. The neck is a bit wider than I would prefer and it has a 12" radius. If I'm not mistaken, the Starla has a 10" radius and I found I wasn't struggling with certain chords shapes like I do on my SG. The Starla's neck also didn't seem as wide as the SG neck either.

Back