New Guitar Day: Wood Library Custom 24

Yeah, nothing took my fancy either. I was surprised none of his earlier Jacksons were in the sale (don't know if he still has them).

Never had a Gibson V but back in the early/mid-90s bought a Japanese-built Jackson RR with Reflex Blue active pickups & Floyd. Looked wicked and sounded great but sold it after a while to get something else - you know how it is. The only Gibson I've owned was an Arctic White '77 Reissue Explorer. I liked it but never loved it.

I've had quite a few different brands of V's and so far my favorite is the USA Gibby version. I saw a video recently where PRSh said that he wished he had drawn that guitar shape. ;)

Great looking guitar! Frostbite is a PS color though, this is likely grey black fade. Brian has done quite a few wood library PRS in this finish.

Great looking guitar! Frostbite is a PS color though, this is likely grey black fade. Brian has done quite a few wood library PRS in this finish.

Yes, so it my Absinthe Green Wood Library. That was one of the selling points they mentioned where they specifically requested PS colors be applied to their WL models they ordered. "You get a Private Stock color without the expense of buying a Private Stock" as the sales guys put it. When I was in the store, with all the ruckus going on around me, I did see a tag somewhere which I saw for only a fraction of a second where they had the name of the finish written on it. I couldn't remember the actual name but I do recall thinking that 1.) it was the name of the finish, 2.) it was a finish name I was not familiar with, 3.) my brain did remember only the impression I was left with I would describe as "something cold". Later, at home, I went back through the AMAZING case (which is worthy of also having photos of it posted) but I couldn't find the original hang tags it had on the showroom floor.

The next thing I did was a Bing image search for PRS Frostbite fades for comparison. Yep, that looked like it to me. After that, I hung it next to the Charcoal grey Custom 24 I already had and compared the greyish color tones against each other and noticed that this grey seems to have a little bit more of a bluish tone to it than the charcoal grey guitar. I even did image searches for frostbitten fingers and sure enough, I found some photos with remarkably similar color tones to what this guitar is sporting.

Big picture perspective, it doesn't really matter what they call it, I really dig the way it looks, (and I'm just going to call it a frostbite fade anyway hahahaha).

Smokin'!!!! Congrats!

I hear ya' dude. For the record, I'm a fully paid up member of the \m/ club (saw Cliff Burton with Metallica back in '86).

I've only seen Metallica once - with Cliff, opening for Ozzy, at the Cap Center in Landover, MD. They were supporting Master Of Puppets (Ozzy was on the Ultimate Sin Tour). As it turned out, I knew a couple of their songs from the metal station I had listened to, but I didn't know they were the band doing them (the station wasn't big on identification).

I know I said I was never going to buy another guitar, but…

Today I just felt like going to a guitar store to see if they had any bargains on a new PRS guitar. I don’t remember how it happened but suddenly I found my hands grasping a Custom 24, and mine eyes did gaze upon its stunning quilted Maple top with some kind of a charcoal fade finish. (Anyone know the actual name of that finish?)

…and then I did notice the blacked out pickup pole screws,

…and then turning it over, I noticed the swamp ash body,

…and then the flame maple neck, WITH A SATIN FINISH so that my hand did not stick to it as glossy neck would,

…and then mine eyes did look upon the writing upon the back of the headstock which read “CUSTOM BUILT FOR USA ONLY” and I did instantly realize that this guitar must have a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard! Indeed it did, and I did look upon the two-tone figuring of the BRW fingerboard with much approval.

As it turned out, I had forgotten that the store was having a PRS Guitar Day event today and I realized that I was standing in the middle of a guitar buying feeding frenzy of guitar buying sharks while I was standing there with a a really nice juicy fish of a PRS guitar. I dared not let go of this guitar while I thought to myself, and think fast, I did.

Moments later, “Angry Larry” himself, confirmed that this was a “Wood Library” model and then he very happily sold me this guitar! As if that wasn’t cool enough, he then walked me over to the place where Paul Reed Smith himself would then sign my new guitar for me. Upon meeting PRSh (again) I said, “Hello Paul, It appears that I have bought another one of your guitars again”. He got my name from me and I shook his hand before I left the store with my new guitar.

What a day! The day where I bought the last guitar I will ever buy! ;)

PRS-2019_Cu24-WL-CharFade-1.jpg

PRS-2019_Cu24-WL-CharFade-3.jpg
Awesome looking guitar. Could you please compare the tone of swamp ash with mahogany if you can?

Back