New Guitar Day... For Someone Else

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
A female friend of mine, the wife of one of my buddies, has wanted a PRS guitar as long as I have known her. It was she who who originally introduced me to her then favorite band Nickleback and PRS Guitars, neither of which I had heard of previously. They fed me and gave me a place to stay when I was broke and homeless. I watched their children grow up, bought their son a drum set and taught him how to play it, bought her an acoustic guitar when someone broke her el-cheapo hand-me-down guitar that she got from a family member, eventually got back on my feet, moved out, got married (again) and she hosted our wedding reception cookout at their home.

In recent years, she would routinely see me post photos on FB of all the nice shiny new PRS guitars that I would aquire, to which she would respond with some sort of humorous banter such as "I hate you", meaning that she REALLY likes the guitar I was posting a picture of. So now, my guitar collection is so impressive that if Joe Bonamassa or any other famous guitar player were to ever learn of it, they would certainly be bugging me on a regular basis to come over and jam with them, or worse, borrow them. So this weekend I did something different. Having talked about this idea with my own wife first and having her 100% approval, I bought a brand new PRS for long time friend (my my buddy's wife) and not myself. I made it as much of a surprise as I could.

We were talking about that Green 35th Anniversary CU24-08 that I just got and how she was planning to quit her job soon and really try again to learn how to play the guitar. I began telling her about this brand new SE SC245 with a charcoal finish that I seen in the store, which seemed to me, to be the closest equivalent to the black PRS Singlecut that Chad used to play in the early Nickleback videos. I went to the dealer and sent her a picture of it to see how she liked the way it looked. At one point she asked me if I still had that orange guitar (as she called it) so I also sent her another picture of a guitar which had a beautiful orange dominant sunburst finish. She liked the sunburst finish better, but then I sent her a picture of a PRS SE Custom 24 in Bonnie Pink, and THAT ONE she REALLY liked the way it looked. "Okay, thanks" I said and that was it.

The next thing that happened was I went to my buddy's house (approached him in his front yard while he had a chainsaw in his hands hahaha) and he said, what brings you to the neighborhood? I was wearing the gig bag and carrying a small amp and let him know that my wife & I were giving his wife an electric guitar. She loved it! Not only that, but the store also had a used Boss Katana combo amp at a really good price, so I got that for her as well. Since I was that deep into it I also bought a pack of PRS picks, a cool looking strap, and a PRS guitar cable to go with it.

These new PRS SE series Custom 24's coming out of the Indonesia factory are no joke. They are REALLY good. I'd post pictures but I'm in the middle of a Mexican stand off (so to speak) with this forum web site. Every photo I have ever posted on this forum has been disappeared and now only images from approved imaging hosting sites are allowed. Well, I am a web host and I'll be dammed if I am going to sign up for an image hosting account on someone else's platform when I've already got my own hosting platform. :p

What a cool thing to do! Your generosity will never be forgotten.

By coincidence, it must be "guitar giving time". My son is a Fender endorser, and just gave my 10 year old grand-niece a US Fender. She was over the moon. He said, "She's getting really good, and I realized she was being held back by her instrument. So I gave her one that Fender gave me."

This little girl has just had her band win a real studio recording session in a battle of the bands (!), and yeah, she's really got it.

I don't think there's a nicer way to share the music than give another musician a nice instrument. You did well, Hangar!

The next thing that happened was I went to my buddy's house (approached him in his front yard while he had a chainsaw in his hands hahaha) and he said, what brings you to the neighborhood? I was wearing the gig bag and carrying a small amp and let him know that my wife & I were giving his wife an electric guitar. She loved it!
Obviously you were already in my will before this, but I’ve already contacted my attorney to modify it to add, at minimum, one pack of stings, a string winder, a tuner, and depending on how things go in the next few years, “maybe” a Lund fishing boat.

Or at least a reel and a few lures.

Back