New Eventide H9 Algorithm - Harmonic Tremolo

Well the petard doesn’t get hoisted; it’s the person who gets hoisted onto his own petard. So the whole thing just doesn’t make sense.

You’re clinging to more old-fashioned ways - join us in the 21st century where the thing is hoisting the petards!

Last edited:
OK, good enough... Let this be the day Les finally admits that a tube can be replaced with an algorithm.
:D:p
Bwahahaha!

Going on record here that I’m jealous. My fav pedal of the decade is the Strymon Flint in harmonic trem mode. Hands down. (Second fav is the El Cap. Third is Klon KTR). I wish my 3 favs could be included in the Kemper system, but am glad Eventide is 33% of the way there. That is a huge feather in their cap and another reason why I’d have one (and probably will somewhere down the line).

The thing about this harmonic trem is kind of analogous to the old Univibe. It was supposed to sound like a Leslie speaker, a rotating speaker.

It didn’t. But that didn’t matter, because it was a cool sound on its own.

I feel the same way about this H9 algorithm. I don’t care if it does or doesn’t sound like a ‘62 Brownface. That doesn’t really matter to me.

It’s nice in its own right, and sounds good through my amps. As Millard Fillmore once said about his guitar amp, “What’s not to like?”

“Millard Fillmore died before tube amps were invented.”

“Shows how much you know; they named an amp after him.”

Last edited:
Bwahahaha!

Going on record here that I’m jealous. My fav pedal of the decade is the Strymon Flint in harmonic trem mode. Hands down. (Second fav is the El Cap. Third is Klon KTR). I wish my 3 favs could be included in the Kemper system, but am glad Eventide is 33% of the way there. That is a huge feather in their cap and another reason why I’d have one (and probably will somewhere down the line).

I do think the H9 sounds great. Actually, the main attraction the H9 initially had for me was that it linked with an iPad or iPhone for calling up and editing patches, and it had a wonderful sounding ducked delay algorithm that if memory servers was ported over from the H3000, which used to be my go-to effects box back in the day.

I love a ducked delay when recording guitar. I also hate getting down on my hands and knees to mess with pedal presets, especially with a guitar strapped on, and with a digital pedal, you have a lot of presets to manage and edit. Also plugging a USB cable into an effects pedal to program it limits where I can put the thing. So the Bluetooth feature called to me. ;)

I only bought the Max version because I figured a project might come along that needed an effect I didn’t own; I mean one never knows. But once you have one Max pedal, if you have more H9s, up to five of them can use the Max algorithms. So having two H9s was kind of a no-brainer.

All that aside, the strengths of the H9 are its fantastic reverbs, delays, and modulation effects. Its weakness (to me) is that I’m not into the distortions. Still, in a pinch, if I have to use an H9 Fuzz instead of an analog fuzz on one song and not have to buy a fuzz that I’ll use once or twice, fine. On the other hand, I got Jamie an H9, and he uses the distortions and thinks they’re pretty decent.

There’s no explaining this. ;)

I just snagged an H9 maxed out and have been digging this trem. I think it might knock my EQD Night Wire off the board. I ran them both to a/b settings and the H9 was just more flexible with what all you can edit. That said, the EQD still looks better in purple sparkle :D

I just snagged an H9 maxed out and have been digging this trem. I think it might knock my EQD Night Wire off the board. I ran them both to a/b settings and the H9 was just more flexible with what all you can edit. That said, the EQD still looks better in purple sparkle :D

Those EQD pedals are pretty cool, and always seem to have nice paint and graphics. I had their “the depths” Univibe on my board and thought it was great!

When I put a new pedalboard together last year, I decided to put a second H9 on, and didn’t have room for the ‘vibe. It’s on loan to my son.

Last edited:
It is now. We made a few adjustments to the process.

Do you have a spec? Perhaps some kind of diagram? I don't remember being consulted on this change. What's the business case for this? Did you get buy-in from DocPub? It's gonna cost us millions in support!

Just played the H9 again with the harmonic tremolo. Perhaps an analog one would be juicier/squishier, but this one lets you set a very crisp sound into your amp. Great for those Ennio Morricone themes we all play and love!

“You’re the only one here into mid-1960s film music, Les.”

“C’mon, man! Ennio Frickin’ Marricone!! Everyone knows that stuff! I’ll bet I’m not alone in digging it.”

So, readers, will it be crickets or are there other Spaghetti Western Surf Guitar fans here?

Here’s the promo video. Ignore how silly the setup is, the tones accurately reflect what the algorithm does.

Thanks for this! I haven't done an update in a while, and the Harmonic Tree will certainly come in handy! :)

Those EQD pedals are pretty cool, and always seem to have nice paint and graphics. I had their “the depths” Univibe on my board and thought it was great!

When I put a new pedalboard together last year, I decided to put a second H9 on, and didn’t have room for the ‘vibe. It’s on loan to my son.

I love their designs, and I wish more companies would exercise more creativity when it comes to the look. Working in a creative industry, I love seeing when people fall in love with the designs we put out, and I'm guilty of doing the same.

I decided the EQD Night Wire is going to stay. I snagged it while on a work trip/first visit to SF and got it at a fun shop in Haight-Ashbury so I'm just going to assume it's got a little Jerry in it.

I grabbed an Empress Tremolo v2 yesterday but man, I really with they would put out some different designs on their stuff. I know they're just about 2nd to none when it comes to quality, but dang it looks like a rectangular pumpkin on my board.

I love their designs, and I wish more companies would exercise more creativity when it comes to the look.

My board looks boring, but I gotta say it sounds terrific. So at least there’s that.

0Vpz8SD.jpg

Back