New Eventide H9 Algorithm - Harmonic Tremolo

László

Too Many Notes
A new algorithm for the Eventide H9 was released, a harmonic tremolo they call "harmadillo".

As with most H9 modulation effects (not to mention reverbs and delays), this thing sounds great and to my way of thinking takes advantage of the things the H9 does well. It's free if you have H9 Max, but worth the few bucks they charge for it it if you have a regular H9 and do anything like roots rock, blues, rockabilly, country, classic rock stuff, etc.

Might work well with other styles, but I don't claim to know much about how effects work with metal and heavier stuff.

Harmonic tremolo was found on some of Fender's Brownface and Blonde amps of the early 1960s. It does things other tremolos don't do; At its extremes it can be dialed in to do a little of what a Univibe does with that squishy pulsation, but the real thing works on entirely different principles, and certainly sounds different from a 'Vibe at most typical settings.

It's been a while since I used a Brownface or Blonde amp with this tremolo, so I can't vouch for authenticity of tone, however the algorithm works for me just because it sounds quite nice on its own. Worth a try if you're an H9 person.

Algorithm...
Sounds like something you'd see inside a Kemper!
Must be pretty good then!

Dave runs away... "Not the face!"

It might, except...

I run all my pedals into the front of a tube amp. So the tone of the tubes has a significant effect on what you hear coming out of the speaker. Sounds like a pedal through a tube amp, as you’d expect.

It might, except...

I run all my pedals into the front of a tube amp. So the tone of the tubes has a significant effect on what you hear coming out of the speaker. Sounds like a pedal through a tube amp, as you’d expect.
Yeah but, yeah but but but...
The original tremelo on a guitar amp used a 12AX7 tube, and various circuits (depending on age and manufacturer) to create the variable for the tube.
So I don't see how this is just as good, at all. Basically it can't be.
Right?
:eek::rolleyes::D:p

Careful now... cuz I'm kidding.

Yeah but, yeah but but but...
The original tremelo on a guitar amp used a 12AX7 tube, and various circuits (depending on age and manufacturer) to create the variable for the tube.
So I don't see how this is just as good, at all. Basically it can't be.
Right?
:eek::rolleyes::D:p

Careful now... cuz I'm kidding.

I know you’re kidding me.

I’ve been using Eventide’s digital effects with tube amps since the early ‘90s. I’ve always liked the combination!

A new algorithm for the Eventide H9 was released, a harmonic tremolo they call "harmadillo".

As with most H9 modulation effects (not to mention reverbs and delays), this thing sounds great and to my way of thinking takes advantage of the things the H9 does well. It's free if you have H9 Max, but worth the few bucks they charge for it it if you have a regular H9 and do anything like roots rock, blues, rockabilly, country, classic rock stuff, etc.

Might work well with other styles, but I don't claim to know much about how effects work with metal and heavier stuff.

Harmonic tremolo was found on some of Fender's Brownface and Blonde amps of the early 1960s. It does things other tremolos don't do; At its extremes it can be dialed in to do a little of what a Univibe does with that squishy pulsation, but the real thing works on entirely different principles, and certainly sounds different from a 'Vibe at most typical settings.

It's been a while since I used a Brownface or Blonde amp with this tremolo, so I can't vouch for authenticity of tone, however the algorithm works for me just because it sounds quite nice on its own. Worth a try if you're an H9 person.
Any idea if it is included in Modfactor software?

OK, good enough... Let this be the day Les finally admits that a tube can be replaced with an algorithm.
:D:p

False.

Read the second-to-last line in my first post, the one that says I haven’t got a recent basis of comparison with real early 60s amps to know whether it sounds authentic or not.

Does that sound like “algorithms replace tubes” to you? Nope. Because that’s not what it says at all.

Did I say, “This sounds just like a tube harmonic tremolo?” No.

Or did I say, “This is an authentic-sounding replacement for a tube driven harmonic tremolo?” Nope.

I said it sounds great. And it does - as a stand-alone effect it’s terrific and very musical. It’s just a modulation effect. I don’t care if it sounds like a 1962 Brownface, and I make no claims to that effect.

If you like digital stuff and you have an H9 I recommend this algorithm. No further takeaways are logical or necessary.

False.

Read the second-to-last line in my first post, the one that says I haven’t got a recent basis of comparison with real early 60s amps to know whether it sounds authentic or not.

Does that sound like “algorithms replace tubes” to you? Nope. Because that’s not what it says at all.

Did I say, “This sounds just like a tube harmonic tremolo?” No.

Or did I say, “This is an authentic-sounding replacement for a tube driven harmonic tremolo?” Nope.

I said it sounds great. And it does - as a stand-alone effect it’s terrific and very musical. It’s just a modulation effect. I don’t care if it sounds like a 1962 Brownface, and I make no claims to that effect.

If you like digital stuff and you have an H9 I recommend this algorithm. No further takeaways are logical or necessary.
I like my H9. Works well with every amp. That’s all Imma gonna say :D

C’mon, man - it’s common knowledge that one of the consequences of having your petard hoisted is the loss of awareness of your petard. That’s why anyone whose had their petard hoisted is never aware of it. That’s just science.

Well the petard doesn’t get hoisted; it’s the person who gets hoisted onto his own petard. So the whole thing just doesn’t make sense.

Back