New Dusty Waring DW CE24 Hardtail

UEyxIyC.jpg

Grabbed one today. Got an incredible deal. shop will set it up to drop C. So stoked!!!!

I’ve let the guitar decompress for a few days. Wow. Wow. I’m in love. It feels high end. No apparent cut corners like the import tremolos found in regular CEs. I thought I would despise the thin neck carve, but I find it super fast playing. Faster than pattern thin but still comfortable. The shop did a great setup. Drop C sounds good with 10-52s on. The playability astounds me. I Love the maple fretboard. I thought it felt better than the maple Silver Sky I had previously. You get what you pay for here. And I mean that in the utmost respectful way. I’ve had a Holcomb to compare it to. I feel this is much different; the craftsmanship is superb and the 10” radius much more comfortable than the 20”, which I found made barring a chord a real chore. It goes without saying that the intonation is spot on and doesn’t drift. Love that about a hardtail. I’m not much for a tremolo so this was perfect for me. I can’t wait to continue to dive deeper into this guitar. I think this limited edition is a home run for a PRS USA built high gain machine.

I know PRS used Seymour Duncan pickups in the beginning. But I thought PRS used only their own PRS pickups now.

The specs for this DW CE24 call for Mojotone pickups.

So PRS does build custom guitars with pickups that are not made by PRS?

Didn't know that.

I know PRS used Seymour Duncan pickups in the beginning. But I thought PRS used only their own PRS pickups now.

The specs for this DW CE24 call for Mojotone pickups.

So PRS does build custom guitars with pickups that are not made by PRS?
They are his signature pickups.. You can't have a signature guitar without signature pickups. They're Excellent! Very versatile and rock out with the best

They are his signature pickups.. You can't have a signature guitar without signature pickups. They're Excellent! Very versatile and rock out with the best
Well John Mayer and zillions of other players with PRS Signature Guitars use PRS pickups in them. I just assumed PRS would want to make the pickups themselves. No biggie. Most of my PRS guitars don't have PRS pickups either!

Only ones that do have a set of Dragon 1's! ;)

Holcomb's SE guitars uses his latest Seymour Duncan's Scarlet and Scourge. To be honest his guitar is a steal for the price point. Alnico 8 magnets.

Holcomb's SE guitars uses his latest Seymour Duncan's Scarlet and Scourge. To be honest his guitar is a steal for the price point. Alnico 8 magnets.
Alnico 8. That's the next magnet I'm going to try in the Duncan JB. It's comparable to ceramic in strength.

Didn't realize there was a larger thread on this one, so figured I'd also post my response to a different user talking color choices here:

Hey, I recently picked up the faded blue smoke burst after seeing a shop that had one with a nicer top. See photos below if you're curious. I will say that the variance in color for the blue in particular seems extreme. There are older versions that appear more "cornflower" blue which I don't like at all. There are newer versions that are a bit more teal (see examples at Peach guitars, for instance). This one seemed to have the right coloring as far as I'm concerned (right in the middle), let alone had a nice top, which is why I chose to snag this one rather than waiting for a "blind" order.

IMO, I would not order one of these without seeing it first. There was an example on Sweetwater a few weeks back that was the blue smoke burst, but the top had like zero figuring and was really washed out meaning the center was almost white and most of the color was right at the edges. It looked absolutely terrible in my opinion and I would have returned that right away if it had been delivered to me for what the guitar costs.

For example, the top on @ggarriso's shown above is not my cup of tea and I'd personally have been pretty bummed if I got one like that after seeing some of the others floating around. I asked PRS a few months back if they had a standard for figuring in mind and didn't get a great answer. After seeing examples like the one I referenced from SW and this other mentioned here, it seems like there is, unfortunately, a pretty wide variance in figuring quality which is a bummer....

The other thing to note is that there are versions floating around that don't match the PRS website. I was comparing two different faded blue smoke bursts and only one of them had the natural binding as shown on the website. Peach actually had a black one without the natural back as well, so there are at least two different versions around that don't seem to be what PRS is advertising. Could be retailers choosing what to order or PRS having made small errors with that here and there, but as I really wanted to the natural binding, I would have been disappointed if the one I ordered didn't have it.

FWIW, I plan to order a jade smoke burst later on and scrape the binding to get the same look. Not sure why they didn't go with the natural binding on that color....Not sure that I've seen an actual photo of one outside of the "Tones Guitars" page on FaceBook. Eager to see more of them in the wild.

Great guitar either way though. I've owned probably 10 PRS guitars over the years and the CEs always seem to speak to me more than the CU24s et al. Not 100% sure about the pickups (or the positions Dustie requested), but to my ear, they sound better than some of the other PRS pickups I've tried, at least for heavier stuff. Neck carve isn't incredibly noticeable to me as being radically different than a regular carve, but I'm not too fussy about necks in the first place.

Hope they make this a mainstay in the line up. Plan to order another this year, but funds allowing, I'd snag another down the road to have more bases covered for different tunings as these specs are pretty close to ideal for me when it comes to PRS outside of private stock....

Last edited:
I’m shocked how much output the bridge gives. The mojotone website mentions nothing about ceramic magnets. Only claims alnico 5. Position 2 seems so much quieter but I quite enjoy it. Always been a sucker for a split neck and full bridge

Well John Mayer and zillions of other players with PRS Signature Guitars use PRS pickups in them. I just assumed PRS would want to make the pickups themselves.
If an artist has Signature pickups from a third-party OEM like DW or MH, it makes sense to put them in their signature PRS model. If they had signature Gibson PAFs or Fender Single coils, all bets are off in their use in a PRS...

The Silver Sky pickups are essentially JM signature pickups build by PRS, because that's exactly what JM wanted (and what Fender wouldn't do for him).

The HBs in the Super Eagle etc are perhaps an exception, but JM doesn't have signature HBs elsewhere (AFAIK), so it makes sense he's work with what PRS could offer.

Orianthi doesn't have signature electric guitar pups (she did have something tweaked in her signature Gibson acoustic, from what I just read), so nothing to put in the PRS signature models.

Same for all the other PRS signature artists I can think of off-hand.

yep. Holcomb's new pickups sound more versatile compared to his previous signatures. Much more midrange.
As it turns out, I didn't like the Alnico 8 in a Duncan JB.

I much preferred Alnico 5.

Then i switched to a Rough or Sandcast Alnico 5 and I like that the best.

The JB has less sizzle and a rounder sound to the treble now.

Didn't realize there was a larger thread on this one, so figured I'd also post my response to a different user talking color choices here:

Hey, I recently picked up the faded blue smoke burst after seeing a shop that had one with a nicer top. See photos below if you're curious. I will say that the variance in color for the blue in particular seems extreme. There are older versions that appear more "cornflower" blue which I don't like at all. There are newer versions that are a bit more teal (see examples at Peach guitars, for instance). This one seemed to have the right coloring as far as I'm concerned (right in the middle), let alone had a nice top, which is why I chose to snag this one rather than waiting for a "blind" order.

IMO, I would not order one of these without seeing it first. There was an example on Sweetwater a few weeks back that was the blue smoke burst, but the top had like zero figuring and was really washed out meaning the center was almost white and most of the color was right at the edges. It looked absolutely terrible in my opinion and I would have returned that right away if it had been delivered to me for what the guitar costs.

For example, the top on @ggarriso's shown above is not my cup of tea and I'd personally have been pretty bummed if I got one like that after seeing some of the others floating around. I asked PRS a few months back if they had a standard for figuring in mind and didn't get a great answer. After seeing examples like the one I referenced from SW and this other mentioned here, it seems like there is, unfortunately, a pretty wide variance in figuring quality which is a bummer....

The other thing to note is that there are versions floating around that don't match the PRS website. I was comparing two different faded blue smoke bursts and only one of them had the natural binding as shown on the website. Peach actually had a black one without the natural back as well, so there are at least two different versions around that don't seem to be what PRS is advertising. Could be retailers choosing what to order or PRS having made small errors with that here and there, but as I really wanted to the natural binding, I would have been disappointed if the one I ordered didn't have it.

FWIW, I plan to order a jade smoke burst later on and scrape the binding to get the same look. Not sure why they didn't go with the natural binding on that color....Not sure that I've seen an actual photo of one outside of the "Tones Guitars" page on FaceBook. Eager to see more of them in the wild.

Great guitar either way though. I've owned probably 10 PRS guitars over the years and the CEs always seem to speak to me more than the CU24s et al. Not 100% sure about the pickups (or the positions Dustie requested), but to my ear, they sound better than some of the other PRS pickups I've tried, at least for heavier stuff. Neck carve isn't incredibly noticeable to me as being radically different than a regular carve, but I'm not too fussy about necks in the first place.

Hope they make this a mainstay in the line up. Plan to order another this year, but funds allowing, I'd snag another down the road to have more bases covered for different tunings as these specs are pretty close to ideal for me when it comes to PRS outside of private stock....

Looks great, congrats on finding what you were looking for!

Back