New Dusty Waring DW CE24 Hardtail

EWE! LOL. Look, that album had me disliking someone I didn’t even know, and later (thanks to Daryl Hall and 11 top) ended up liking. But that album was so jarringly UN-Van Halen, that I blamed it all on Cherone. Especially after reading in Guitar Player where Eddie said he loved how Gary had all the songs written when they hit the studso… no wonder they didn’t sound like Van Halen. Other than Fire In The Hole, there is almost nothing that sounds like Van Halen music. Eddie does make that one a true VH song though!

I’m not a Cherone hater at all - I love that guy’s voice, and if you’ve never heard Extreme’s Queen medley from the Freddie Mercury tribute concern, it’s well worth your time to find it.

I remember being disappointed at the reception VH3 got, and I won’t say I was immune to it. I don’t think I’ve ever owned it, and I aim to rectify that at some point. And frankly, based on what I’ve read, I put more of the blame for that album on Eddie. Mainly because it’s sounded like he was not fully engaged at the time. It happens. But I have a radio boroadcast from that tour, and Cherone does the older material justice, and he wasn’t afraid to sing songs from any era.

I’m not a Cherone hater at all - I love that guy’s voice, and if you’ve never heard Extreme’s Queen medley from the Freddie Mercury tribute concern, it’s well worth your time to find it.

I remember being disappointed at the reception VH3 got, and I won’t say I was immune to it. I don’t think I’ve ever owned it, and I aim to rectify that at some point. And frankly, based on what I’ve read, I put more of the blame for that album on Eddie. Mainly because it’s sounded like he was not fully engaged at the time. It happens. But I have a radio boroadcast from that tour, and Cherone does the older material justice, and he wasn’t afraid to sing songs from any era.
As a huge Van Halen fan, it was easy to say "THIS DOESN'T EVEN SOUND LIKE VAN HALEN" and blame Cherone. Again, especially after Eddie claiming that Gary wrote all the songs and had them ready when they hit the studio... so yeah, no wonder it doens't sound like VH.

But years after, thanks to 11top's remarks about Nuno, and those two (Nuno and Gary, not 11top, although it wouldn't surprise me) being on Live at Daryls House I got 3 of their albums. Now I really like Gary, and LOVE Nuno (dude is a legit elite bada$$ guitar player!). But that album leaves a bad taste in my mouth... Every time I listen to it, I skip a bunch of songs, and cut others off early. If not for Fire In The Hole, I may not even go back to it as much as I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is likely the closest I'm ever going to get to my dream PRS without going private stock so I couldn't be more stoked.

Placing my order in the next couple of days and trying to decide between burnt amber smokeburst and faded blue smokeburst. Any chance folks could share pictures of each? I'm seeing a decent range on both when I google and I'm attributing most of that to lighting/photo editing for professional shop photos. Any regular shots in natural lighting that anyone has would be hugely helpful. Thanks in advance!

I am as big of an old VH fan as any and have seen them twelve times, but the night I saw them at Madison Square Garden with Cherone was embarrassing. The band itself instrumentally totally killed and were really on, but it felt like a band with some random singer attached. Cherone came out in brown silk pajamas and barefoot. Pranced around the stage, pose after pose after pose, and it just felt wrong. His voice was ok, but the material they did on record together was by far the weakest in their catalog, IMHO. I remember leaving the show so bummed.

to be really fair I LOVE Extreme and he kills in that band.

I am as big of an old VH fan as any and have seen them twelve times, but the night I saw them at Madison Square Garden with Cherone was embarrassing. The band itself instrumentally totally killed and were really on, but it felt like a band with some random singer attached. Cherone came out in brown silk pajamas and barefoot. Pranced around the stage, pose after pose after pose, and it just felt wrong. His voice was ok, but the material they did on record together was by far the weakest in their catalog, IMHO. I remember leaving the show so bummed.

to be really fair I LOVE Extreme and he kills in that band.

I've never had the 3 album, but what I've heard is not great. But I don't think it would have mattered who the singer was - that may have been Eddie's most dysfunctional period. Cherone gets the blame because he's what changed. But even without him in the equation - "How Many Say I"?

Any idea how long it takes for new models like this to hit the street? Have interest here, but would like to see / hear some in the wild before ordering :)

Any idea how long it takes for new models like this to hit the street? Have interest here, but would like to see / hear some in the wild before ordering :)
Brian’s pre-order listings say ETA April/May except for Jade (July/August).

Back