New discovery about P90 pickups...

That's awesome! In my mind these SE Soapbars are like an evolution of the Gibson Specials. An improved version. Better headstock geometry and ergonomics. I've upgraded my pickups to Lollar mini's and it just sounds great!
I'm with you.

I feel like I have to careful bragging them up too much because I worry it might offend the guys who spent thousands on the Core models.

But really, with a pickup and controls upgrade, some of my SE's sound and play just as good as my USA models.

I just ordered some PRS brass impregnated nuts and I'm going to upgrade the nuts on some of these too.

Last edited:
I'm with you.

I feel like I have to careful bragging them up too much because I worry it might offend the guys who spent thousands on the Core models.

But really, with a pickup and controls upgrade, some of my SE's sound and play just as good as my USA models.

I just ordered some PRS brass impregnated nuts and I'm going to upgrade the nuts on some of these too.

Guys here love modding SE’s and S2’s.

Heck I’m about to mod my core Santana (a bit).

Gosh this guitar sounds great now! Still hums a bit when the Gibson P90's are used individually, but when they're combined there's virtually no hum at all..

It's the red one on the right.

The one on the left is my black SE Singlecut. The Korean pickups were nothing to write home about but the Duncan Antiquitys in it now sound killer!

These great SE's have so much potential.

Sure, my '95 CU22 has more vibe and sounds a little more resonant, but the SE's can be easily upgraded into being 100% professional instruments.

That's my old '66 Deluxe Reverb in the back. Had it forever.

Looking good Lew.

I should clarify the SE245 has:

Ebony keys
SE locking tuners
Signature club TRC kindly donated by @veinbuster
Core nut
PAF custom pickups made by @Fullmoon 1971
Raw brass bridge studs
And most importantly amber lampshades, because…….

……everything is better with amber lampshades

I’ve not changed the wiring, other than to have the caps that @Fullmoon 1971 supplied when the pickups were changed.

It’s a great guitar and as I’ve said many times, if 18 year old me had this as a first instrument I would have been very lucky.

Stock, this guitar was great. The mods are the icing on the cake.

Or are gifted them.

The SE245 was a kind gift from @bodia @sergiodeblanc and others here. Don’t ask me why, I think I’m a huge douche.

The Santana was an early Christmas present to myself.

There may be a set of rosewood pickup rings being put on soon. You know how extra tonewood helps ;)
That Santana, especially, is stunning! Is that an SE? Prettiest SE I’ve ever seen if it is.

I have some pretty SE Singlecuts but nothing like that!

The CU22's in back are not SE's.

I've noticed that the Korean Soapbar models in god to excellent condition are commanding high prices, $550-$700 on Reverb. Seems crazy for a used guitar. I guess they're getting scarce!

Or are gifted them.

The SE245 was a kind gift from @bodia @sergiodeblanc and others here. Don’t ask me why, I think I’m a huge douche.

The Santana was an early Christmas present to myself.

There may be a set of rosewood pickup rings being put on soon. You know how extra tonewood helps ;)
I approve of new rings!

I've noticed that the Korean Soapbar models in god to excellent condition are commanding high prices, $550-$700 on Reverb. Seems crazy for a used guitar. I guess they're getting scarce!

I’d happily pay that for a soapbar in God condition. I’m assuming a guitar in that condition will instantly turn me into guitar hero. Kind of like the pick of destiny. Haha.

Anyway, cool soapbar to Lew. I love soapbars. My first core prs that I stuck with, and still have, is a McCarty soapbar with an irw neck. I also have an SE 245 soapbar that the previous owner put some bare knuckles pickups in. I also now have an artist package SC594 with soapbars. I have a few other soapbar guitars I inherited from my dad. And have a guitar kit I’m planning on building that will have a single soapbar. Kind of an LP junior kind of thing. I bought it to put a bare knuckles Mississippi Queen soapbar that I have. It’s my favorite pickup I’ve ever used. Anyway soapbars def rock. I love them. :)

I’d happily pay that for a soapbar in God condition. I’m assuming a guitar in that condition will instantly turn me into guitar hero. Kind of like the pick of destiny. Haha.

Anyway, cool soapbar to Lew. I love soapbars. My first core prs that I stuck with, and still have, is a McCarty soapbar with an irw neck. I also have an SE 245 soapbar that the previous owner put some bare knuckles pickups in. I also now have an artist package SC594 with soapbars. I have a few other soapbar guitars I inherited from my dad. And have a guitar kit I’m planning on building that will have a single soapbar. Kind of an LP junior kind of thing. I bought it to put a bare knuckles Mississippi Queen soapbar that I have. It’s my favorite pickup I’ve ever used. Anyway soapbars def rock. I love them. :)
How about just a good one?

Reactions: jxe
I paid $600 for mine and it has Gibson pickups and a nice hard shell case. You just have to be looking everyday and be ready to pull the trigger when you find it.

Last edited:

I bought mine on Reverb but I scan both Reverb and EBay when I want something. Usually it shows up within two or three weeks and if it looks good and the price is right I write to the seller and ask about condition and what not. If the answers are what I want to hear, I grab it. The deals are out there. Just be patient and check every day.

Last edited:
Back