NEW DGT SE EXCITEMENT!

Jack1013

I’ve been watching the videos on the new Se DGT, and it looks like they nailed it, seeing David G. play it and not tell the difference is very cool! CUDOS to the PRS team, it’s pretty cool seeing what goes into a launch of a guitar like that and the development of it. To have a guitar of that caliber to be in reach with a lower cost is exciting. I’ve never been excited about a lower end model of anything before this, impressive to see PRS is doing this. Guitars are so much fun!

Well, I'm pretty sure Mr. Grissom can tell the difference, if he wants to, but it is a good sign that he seems to be happy with the product.

Well, Mr. Grissom is rarely seemingly "happy", maybe "less-annoyed-looking-than-normal"? ;)

I am curious what the pickups sound like compared to the Core versions through something other than a DG amp. Those amps have their own tone, IMHO, and the true measure of the import pups will be how they sound through other amps (compared to the core pups).

I'd be lying if I said I was only mildly interested in this release. My two concerns are affordability and availability. My HB was at the outer reaches of my dollar envelope, and beyond actually. But it was an itch I couldn't scratch without help.
I also can't put up with being on a wait list for two + years, for any guitar. I can maybe look for a couple years for a specific already existing one, different scenario there. 8 months for my HB was brutal. That's a mass produced shelf model for crying out loud. And I'll never wait out a custom/PS build any more than I could wait 2 years for a factory race bike from Honda. I'm just too old to waste that much time anymore. When I'm pushing 70 will I have more patience than I have now? I doubt that.
There are other local induced concerns with a special order too, but I live where I live. Not a lot of PRS to pick up and play in these parts.
Sorry for ranting a bit, but damn.

While I am excited for this SE version, I think I'll be waiting until this time next year, or perhaps Holiday 2023 to see if there are any deals on overstock. I was able to get a good deal on an SE SilverSky when I ordered it in January 2022, but I didn't receive it until November. I figure that I have been able to hold out this long buying a DGT (SE or core) that I can wait another 12 months or so.

The price announcement was pretty much where I envisioned it. But so far no indication on the Canadian price levels. $1400 European (in USD) tells me that $2k isn't out of the question. that's where my HBII landed. Pretty much sends me back to the 24-08 as an upgrade/alternate to my Custom 24. Which won't happen for a long time since I really enjoy and like that guitar as it is. Any shortcomings the axe itself has are vastly overshadowed by my own inadequacies. Lottery tickets notwithstanding of course...;)
But I gotta say that the DGT SE (visually and by test demo clips) is a helluva machine.

As George Costanza Would Say
I can sum up this guitar in 1 word
Magic
Just played the one w received yesterday and honestly there are only 3 SE guitar models that have come in our store over the past 13 years of being a PRS dealer that I would refer to as Magic.
The Mikael Akerfeldt , The Bernie Marsden, And Now The DGT

I never liked sunburst guitars and the gold top is not my thing either. I like natural, Amber, honey and charcoal. Do you think they will offer the DGT SE in simpler colors soon enough? Thanks

Soon? If you’re talking 1-2 yrs maybe. Perhaps if a dealer wishes to make a run. But I wouldn’t hold my breath for a different color so soon after introduction.

I lucked onto one (of 2) that had just been delivered to my local music store in Canberra. Both still in their boxes. The gold top was nice, but I preferred the beautiful tobacco burst.
Absolutely love it - guitar looks, feels and sounds amazing. Neck is a dream. Very happy camper.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Hi, I have an SE DGT goldtop on order and cannot wait. The rep at Sweetwater says that there are over 490 orders in their queue and I may see mine as early as June but maybe not until August...
Wow, awesome product release sales numbers.

Not sure I could live with the control layout on a DGT. I prefer the more traditional offerings of the Paul’s toggle switches and 594 dual volume/tone knobs.

Ya, I would like to play one first. I called dealers here in Co. and even got laughed at by one store about availability. Haha. Most have no word at all…
Contols wise, it Seems like having the in between position with both pickups engaged would be the move same as my LP but just not having to reach so far to bring up the treble pickup and work the tone. I think this model would be great to just have around for another voice and won’t kill the budget. I’ll definitely post here if I can get my hands on one personally to play. All the buzz sounds good so far! Cheers

Ya, I would like to play one first. I called dealers here in Co. and even got laughed at by one store about availability. Haha. Most have no word at all…
Contols wise, it Seems like having the in between position with both pickups engaged would be the move same as my LP but just not having to reach so far to bring up the treble pickup and work the tone. I think this model would be great to just have around for another voice and won’t kill the budget. I’ll definitely post here if I can get my hands on one personally to play. All the buzz sounds good so far! Cheers
The DGT definitely has its own voice when compared to other PRS’s or an Lp….. and a great one… with a great neck with jumbo frets and David’s DGT pickups

I've had my Tobacco Sunburst DGT SE 4 weeks now and IMHO it is fantastic. I have been a Strat player for 40-odd years, but I am unable to put this thing down. I take my Custom Shop '54 Anniversary to every gig, and over the past 4 weeks, it has just sat on the stand watching me play the DGT. Well done PRS and David for making such a fab guitar available in the SE range.

Have a feeling it will be until the end of the year until I can find one at a store to play. The waitlist appears long!

Back