new DGT... finish problem?

ruger9

Question... brand new DGT, 10 top. IDK what the finish is on these things... some kind of nitro-over-poly or what? I've had it about 6 weeks. I noticed today the clear coat seems to be peeling off right at the binding. It's not somewhere my arm rests, it's not somewhere anything even touches when I play. It can even be seen really, with the naked eye (and unfortunately my phone can't get a pic of it), but it can sure be felt. It bugs me on a $5K new guitar... is this a problem, as in warranty issue, or is this something that "happens" with whatever PRS is doing with finishes these days, or what?

It's in the "waist" of the top curve, right on the corner between the binding and the top. Again- no an area that sees any wear. My forearm actually rests further back on the waist, the way the guitar hangs on me. I'll attach a crappy picture just so you can see the location, even tho you can't see the issue...

I've never experienced anything like this on any of my poly guitars over 35 years...

IMG-0467.jpg

As of 2020, the entire Core production line transitioned to the nitro-over-cellulose (CAB) finish. The CAB is an acrylic formula. The nitro is merely the top coat. This is absolutely a warranty issue - if you are the original owner. The nitro should not be losing adhesion to/from the substrate. Something got botched in the finish prep process. Reach out to PRS customer service and send photos.

UGH... man I'd hate to lose the DGT for a length of time... I JUST got the thing!!! But I guess I have no choice, at this price, it really bothers me. Had it been a used Fender Tele I wouldn't care LOL.

Any idea what the turnaround time is on warranty stuff these days??

I had a guitar refinished under warranty a couple years ago. I was quoted about four months in turnaround time, ended up taking right at about six. Things were very busy at the time, so I was patient and didn't sweat it too much.

Others here have had theirs done and back in less time, but with their currently super-busy schedule, it wouldn't surprise me to have a bit of a wait.

I will say, the guitar will come back like new and you absolutely will not be disappointed in the results. They did a beautiful job with mine.

Damn. A bucket list guitar that I could FINALLY afford, and I'm going to lose it for 6 months? That effing SUCKS. And frankly, I expected more from PRS quality, especially at this price point. Very disappointed.

Damn. A bucket list guitar that I could FINALLY afford, and I'm going to lose it for 6 months? That effing SUCKS. And frankly, I expected more from PRS quality, especially at this price point. Very disappointed.

Mine was six months, not sure that's what yours will be.

I certainly understand the frustration, though. I'd reach out to PRS, get a quote on turnaround time, and maybe discuss your options to see what will best suit your situation.

Sucks really bad to have to go through all this on a brand new guitar, hoping for the best for you! It's a GORGEOUS guitar!

I put in an "order" for warranty serviced... let's see what they say...

Honestly, if this was just plain ol' lacquer, or even poly, I might have had a local luthier do a spot fix. Especially with old school lacquer. But I know PRS has been experimenting with finish stuff in recent years...

Wow, already got a reply and a shipping label. They say "hard to tell without examining it ourselves", but "according to your description, it will require a clear overspray, 6-8 weeks".

I hope they are relatively accurate with their estimates, and 6-8 weeks doesn't mean 3-5 months... but I have no choice. I'll box it up and get it out. Damn I'm sure gonna' miss her...

Wow, already got a reply and a shipping label. They say "hard to tell without examining it ourselves", but "according to your description, it will require a clear overspray, 6-8 weeks".

I hope they are relatively accurate with their estimates, and 6-8 weeks doesn't mean 3-5 months... but I have no choice. I'll box it up and get it out. Damn I'm sure gonna' miss her...
That's great to hear! Glad they were so quick to respond and so forthcoming with a solution! No doubt you'll be happy with the results!

I've sent a couple of guitars in to be refinished (non warranty....color change). I was quoted 12-16 weeks on the first one. Almost 16 weeks to the day. The second one I was quoted the same 12-16 weeks, and had it back in 5. The one warranty issue I sent in was for peeling on the neck. It was just a neck refinish, and I had that one back in about 6 weeks. Can't remember what time frame they estimated on that one.

The new Nitro over CAB finish has some issues. You cannot simply respray nitro over the part where it bubbles up or peels off even though the TECH Center will suggest that to you.
The CAB finish underneath reacts badly to standard nitro overspray and pulls up.
Might be a problem with the mixture they use with the CAB.
If under warranty have them do it for sure as you are doing.

If out of warranty, their prices are very high.

Like in 2011 - the experimental finishes are not a PRS strongsuit.

The new Nitro over CAB finish has some issues. You cannot simply respray nitro over the part where it bubbles up or peels off even though the TECH Center will suggest that to you.
The CAB finish underneath reacts badly to standard nitro overspray and pulls up.
Might be a problem with the mixture they use with the CAB.
If under warranty have them do it for sure as you are doing.

If out of warranty, their prices are very high.

Like in 2011 - the experimental finishes are not a PRS strongsuit.
Yes, I am getting that impression...

Personally, I have no problem with poly, and would have preferred it was JUST poly on this DGT model.

Well, she's off... that one hurt. I hope it's not months.... bucket list guitar I've wanted for like 15 years, and I had it only 2 months... :(

Well shut my mouth!! PRS is shipping it back to me tomorrow. It's like a week and a half turnaround! I guess maybe the problem was the nitro only... I'm only guessing that because I know nitro repairs are much easier as it "melts into itself", so the whole thing did not need to be re-shot it sounds like? They were not forthcoming with details in the emails, they were very curt, like need-to-know only LOL. But I'm not complaining!

I should have it back by friday. I shipped it to them last Monday. Wow.

Back