New Delay Pedal

Line 6 DL4. it models tape, analog and digital delays, and gives you 4 presets plus tap tempo. They can be had for less than $150 used.

It’s hard to beat true analog delay for a sweet sound. I like the MXR Carbon Copy delay a lot, though right now I’m using Eventide H9s for delay because I can create more complex and weird things with them.

The Carbon Copy is a wonderful pedal at a very good price.

Best bang is probably the Behringer stuff, it's plastic, yeah, but the circuits are copies of the Boss equivalent, according to Josh Scott (of JHS).

Analog delays are going to sit behind your original signal and sound sweet and warm, digital stuff is going to be a lot cleaner, but you'll have to pay for all the mixing and eq features and getting it right will be a bit more work. Some people find them too in-your-face for a lot of uses.

Boss.

Digital Delay: DD series (the DD-3 is pretty basic but does it well, the DD-8 [new] is very sophisticated)
Analog: DM-2w

Or a million other good suggestions, as stated throughout the thread. But the Boss pedal will be inherited by your great grandchildren's grandchildren.

The Carbon Copy has been mentioned a few times here and I would add my name to the list of people that approve of it. It sounds great and is fairly inexpensive. If you want a variant with tap tempo it does exist for a bit more money.

If you like to hunt for used gear I would try to find a good condition T-Rex Replica pedal. They can be had for pretty cheap and they are my favorite no nonsense analog delay with tap tempo. Incredibly good to my ear/hands.

Line 6 DL4. it models tape, analog and digital delays, and gives you 4 presets plus tap tempo. They can be had for less than $150 used.

These are great, and add looping too. I also think their stand alone Echo Park is nice, and pretty inexpensive.

I like delays that let the “tails” of the repeats carry on after you’ve turned it off.

My favorite analog delay (for any price) is the EHX Deluxe Memory Man. You can find good used ones for $150ish.

Another vote here for the Carbon Copy. I love the warm under-layer effect it gives.

I also like the Wampler Tape Echo. It has much more control.

Another winner is the Wampler Ethereal--it's a delay and reverb, each individually controllable. You can set reverb level with the knob and kick in the delay with the switch.

Back