New Delay Pedal Day!!! (((BEST DELAY EVER)))

Hopeful Sinner

Angry Southern Gentleman
This is my new toy! It's a TC Electronic Flashback X4 and if you are in the market for a delay, get your hands on one of these and give it a try! I've felt for a long time that the Line 6 DL4 was the standard for delays and I truly believe this dethrones it hands down. Great tones, super versatile, tap tempo, a great looper, quarter notes, dotted eighths or mix both, offers true bypass and buffered option, just so good on so many levels... Haven't really downloaded any of the artist preset "Tone Prints" yet but I'm looking forward to comparing my settings with those of the "Pros"...

fx4.jpg

Sweet!

My trusty old DD-3 is playing up so i've been looking at this and a couple of others as a replacement.

It's so good Mike. You would not be disappointed if you go with this one! I'm going to try and shoot a little video sometime this week to show off some of the sounds and features...

Just looking at the flashback the other day. Like the idea of a looper and well tone print is just awesome. Might do it lol.

Btw tc electronics have surpassed anything I've tried so far. I have the Dreamscape, polytune and mojo overdrive.

I've got the Flashback single, too. I really like the tones and flexibility, but really dislike the rhythmic tempo setting function--your signal gets cut when you strum out the tempo. This X4 looks awesome, since it has tap tempo. I also use the Line 6 DL4 strictly for the multiple delay programs and looper, but it's not been the most reliable pedal--it's been repaired 3 times in 6 years.

Glad to hear you like the X4 so much. It'll be on my list when the Line 6 craps out...again.

Looks like it's a terrific pedal. I've been a TC fan in the studio since the late 80s when they had the 2290, and later on, the M5000. They do a great job with digital delay.

I currently use a Nova delay on my board.

Looks like it's a terrific pedal. I've been a TC fan in the studio since the late 80s when they had the 2290, and later on, the M5000. They do a great job with digital delay.

I currently use a Nova delay on my board.

The 2290 mode is one of my favorites right now. I just can't say enough good things about this pedal.

The 2290 mode is one of my favorites right now. I just can't say enough good things about this pedal.

Does that mode do the "ducking" delay thing, where the volume of the delays drops while you're picking a new note? That's a fave of mine as well, and was introduced on the old 2290.

I look forward to trying one ...

However, at this point the Stryman El Capistan is my favorite. I'm old enough that I like a delay I can adjust the wow and flutter on ...

Does that mode do the "ducking" delay thing, where the volume of the delays drops while you're picking a new note? That's a fave of mine as well, and was introduced on the old 2290.

The "Dynamic" mode accomplishes the "ducking" delay effect very well on the X4. Especially good for soloing and single note lines.

I have the Wampler Faux Tape delay pedal which is pretty nice, but I really like this TC one.
I have the TC Poly Tuner and the Dreamscape, I may have to pick up one of these.

Found two good vids of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Size isn't bad at all considering what it does and compared to the competition from Vox, Line6, Visual Sound.

I'm so tempted to get one of those. I have the regular Flashback, and think it's awesome. The X4 may be nearly perfect, but it would mean taking my trusty Ibanez AD-99 off the board and losing true analog slapback sounds.

I need something smaller. I don't like how big my Strymon Timeline is - I'm going to probably go with two small delay pedals since I only use two settings.

Here's a pic of how big this thing is:

_DSC4581.jpg

Last edited:
Back