New Cu22 - HFS Squabbins?

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
With the advent of the Cu22's rebirth and the option of 57/08s or HFS/VBs, does this mean that there are now square bobbin HFS/VBs? It's only logical that PRS move 100% of their pups over to the latest design, but they make a pretty wide variety of pickups. Will a standard cover fit over a squabbin?

I think I read somewhere that all open bobbins will be squabbins.

No, a cover won't fit over them.

Hi guys, I'm new here and I have a related question - can you put covers on 59/09's? I'm about to have an epic NGD and the only components I'm considering tweaking on my Custom 24 will be rings and/or covers.

Thanks!

Hi guys, I'm new here and I have a related question - can you put covers on 59/09's? I'm about to have an epic NGD and the only components I'm considering tweaking on my Custom 24 will be rings and/or covers.

Thanks!

You can cover the old-style 59/09's but you should have them wax-potted. That said, uncovered 59/09's are fantastic.

You could put covers on any 59/09 that has the standard rounded-end bobbins like every other pickup out there - they came on Custom 24s for a while. But if it's a square bobbin like the current production, then no, you cannot add covers.

Excellent, gentlemen! Thank you so much for the information. I have a 2012 Custom 24 on the way, so it looks like covers are not an option for this original set of pickups. I've always owned covered humbuckers, so it's just become an aesthetic preference over time; no biggie, though.

Whats up with the pickup options on the cu24? No more 5909s? What about drag2s in the cu22? I dont understand!

Interesting for sure. I thought it was odd when 5909s became the new CU24 pickups, given the long standing hfs/vb combo. Now that combo is on the 22...I like that there's an option of 5708s.

Interesting for sure. I thought it was odd when 5909s became the new CU24 pickups, given the long standing hfs/vb combo. Now that combo is on the 22...I like that there's an option of 5708s.

I think the custom 24 should have the option to come with VB/HFS. I like those much better than the 59/09. VB/HF are great pickups!!

Back