New Core-line Modern Eagle V--where's the switch?

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
I see that there's a new Core-line Modern Eagle V for 2023, which is more or less the same as the previous limited-edition Experience 2020 model (and also the similar but upscale Private Stock version). But this new Core model is missing the 250k/500k impedance switch! Did I miss something, or--for those of you who might have one--was it not a significant feature? (Seemed to me that that was the trick-play that made the single-coil modes viable.)

It is a simplification, and frankly makes sense as a core model to reduce costs a bit - I don't know of any reviews where that was noted as a "main feature".

The 500k/250k was had a pretty subtle change to tone. I thought it noticeable if playing clean. A little closer to "that" single coil sound. Not a significant change. Playing with any gain pretty much made it lost.
Agreed. But I experiment a lot with different clean sounds…so I’m glad I have three with the switch.

I heard they switched to 370K instead.

Agreed. But I experiment a lot with different clean sounds…so I’m glad I have three with the switch.

I heard they switched to 370K instead.
It would be interesting to see if they had custom pots made, or if they tack a 1M5 resistor across a 500K pot.

It would be interesting to see if they had custom pots made, or if they tack a 1M5 resistor across a 500K pot.
That's one way to do that. The resistor can be a part of a 5-way slide switch, engaged in certain switch positions. I saw this as a mod to HSS strats.

It will be interesting to see the wiring diagram or pictures of the cavity

That's one way to do that. The resistor can be a part of a 5-way slide switch, engaged in certain switch positions. I saw this as a mod to HSS strats.

It will be interesting to see the wiring diagram or pictures of the cavity
On the ones with the switch it's done as an extra resistor engaged.
While it makes it so that the total max value is indeed 250k (or whatever value they want for the split coil mode) it does change the pot's taper. i.e. if the pot were to be a 500K linear pot, the resulting taper with the extra resistor becomes more of a logarithmic taper:

y6L4HxC.jpg

On the ones with the switch, it's done as an extra resistor engaged.
While it makes it so that the total max value is indeed 250k (or whatever value they want for the split coil mode) it does change the pot's taper. i.e. if the pot were to be a 500K linear pot, the resulting taper with the extra resistor becomes more of a logarithmic taper:

y6L4HxC.jpg

There's always a trade-off

I’m hoping that somebody can tell me what the fret size is on the Modern Eagle V. I’m also wondering whether it’d be silly to add it to my Paul’s Guitar - the main appeal being able to get positions 2 and 4, hopefully somewhat like a Strat!

I’m hoping that somebody can tell me what the fret size is on the Modern Eagle V. I’m also wondering whether it’d be silly to add it to my Paul’s Guitar - the main appeal being able to get positions 2 and 4, hopefully somewhat like a Strat!
Here’s the answer to the fret question: Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. The Modern Eagle V will use the PRS Vintage fretwire, which is the same 'wide & low' style of fret-wire used on the Core Paul's Guitar.

I’m also wondering whether it’d be silly to add it to my Paul’s Guitar - the main appeal being able to get positions 2 and 4, hopefully somewhat like a Strat!
Well, those positions do result in a stratty sound. Obviously not like a Silver Sky or true "Strat" (whatever that is - Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest used a Fender Strat in a H-H config for a while, for example), but closer than not having that middle single coil to include in the mix of pickup selections.

The other main difference will probably be the trem vs stoptail.

Also, if you hunt down a WL version, you could get a Rosewood neck, which to me is what differentiates a Modern Eagle - all previous models came with RW necks.

Well, those positions do result in a stratty sound. Obviously not like a Silver Sky or true "Strat" (whatever that is - Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest used a Fender Strat in a H-H config for a while, for example), but closer than not having that middle single coil to include in the mix of pickup selections.

The other main difference will probably be the trem vs stoptail.

Also, if you hunt down a WL version, you could get a Rosewood neck, which to me is what differentiates a Modern Eagle - all previous models came with RW necks.
You raise a good point about the tremolo versus the stoptail. I really like the Paul’s Guitar stop tail as it’s much easier for me to mute with it than the tremolo on the MEV (which looks like much more like a Strat setup to me). I think the MEVs all come with rosewood fretboards - did you mean Brazilian rosewood? In any event, I’m keeping my eyes peeled for one with a relatively subtle top!

I’m going to purchase a Mev in the coming days (I can’t try it). I’m hesitating between the first model with the switch and the new core line. Apart from the missing switch, do you think they changed something regarding the volume drop between HB and SC? They say in the official release video of the core Line that there is no volume drop. But I read that some of you experienced it on the PS/Exp model. What do you think?

I’m going to purchase a Mev in the coming days (I can’t try it). I’m hesitating between the first model with the switch and the new core line. Apart from the missing switch, do you think they changed something regarding the volume drop between HB and SC? They say in the official release video of the core Line that there is no volume drop. But I read that some of you experienced it on the PS/Exp model. What do you think?
My Wood Library MEV has the switch.
I can actually hear a decent subtle difference with it in 250k mode. As @bodia stated in a matter of words, it is more prominent with cleans and lower gains. I personally like the feature, especially running both buckers in split mode.
330134707_570195695020294_216581027894848627_n.jpg

309396254_10222484339881292_951659255999618960_n.jpg

I can actually hear a decent subtle difference with it in 250k mode. As @bodia stated in a matter of words, it is more prominent with cleans and lower gains. I personally like the feature, especially running both buckers in split mode.
So I will note here, as I have elsewhere, that it seems to me that many (not sure if all) of the MEV WL runs had the 250/500 switch if the body/neck combo was ash/maple, but was omitted if the body/neck was hog/RW, which to me implied it was more prominent with the woods one might associate with "strats" whereas the other combos was not as relevant. So dropping it from the core hog/hog combo seems to follow suit.

:shrug: I'd prefer if mine had it, if just to have something different, but I'm not really missing anything, I suspect.

"So Paul, when did you change the washer on the MEV impedance switch?"

"You mean the switch itself?"

"No, I'm only interested in the washer, because I have one of the original vintage washers and it's obviously unobtainium now. I want to sell it for One Million Dollars, but I need to know how to word the Reverb ad."

"You're out of your mind."

"Of course I am! Who do you think your customers are, anyway? Do you not know the Immutable Rules of Guitar Collecting?"

"Remind me."

"1) If it's older it's always better;

2) If they aren't using that part any more, the guitar's rare and therefore more valuable;

3) if an actual rock star once vomited on it during a show, it's worth zillions, but only if no one washed the vomit off."

"We wash the vomit off the Artist Relations guitars we take back and sell."

"Seriously? That's SO disappointing."

"How about if I sign it for you with my gold pen?"

"Yeah...not worth much. But would you mind vomiting on it?"

In all seriousness I have one of the 30th Anniversary Private Stock CU24s with the vintage carve doodads - I can't even tell the difference - and the pull-up tone control Sweet Switch. Hey I even tried the Sweet Switch...um...once! ;)

Wasn't why I bought the damn thing!

"How many did they make, Les?"

"I dunno, 60?"

"Then it's RARE, pal! Sell it for One Million Dollars!!"

"The switch or the guitar?"

"The guitar WITH the switch."

"No."

"Why? That's a lot of money!"

"It'll be worth more when I vomit on it."

Last edited:
330134707_570195695020294_216581027894848627_n.jpg

309396254_10222484339881292_951659255999618960_n.jpg
Thanks! Beautiful guitar! I ordered a MEV with the switch, I should receive it by the end of the week :)

Back