New (Cheap, Old) Guitar Day - bargain of the century...

RaySachs

OK, I have to apologize in advance for my irrational exuberance and the length of this. I've only had one guitar in my life with P-90s. It was a "non-reverse" Firebird that I bought from a poor woman who's son had recently been killed in a car wreck and she was selling his stuff. This was a mid to late '60s guitar and I bought it in about 1979 or 1980. She didn't know what she had and was only asking something like $75. I told her that was waaaay too little and she should re-advertize it for at least $300-400 but she really wanted to be rid of it (and I think the memories) so I insisted she take $150 for it. But I never really liked the guitar enough to learn to appreciate the pickups. I was a strat guy and while this could have been made to sound great, it just didn't play the way I thought a guitar should play. So I kept it a while and then sold it to a buddy of mine who liked playing it for the same thing I paid for it. Anyway that was my whole experience with soapbars until a few days ago.

My 594 was gonna be my only electric guitar. But then I came into more money than I expected selling off stuff (initially just to pay for the 594) and I really missed having a strat, so I bought a Robert Cray strat a couple of weeks ago. So far, two perfect and wonderful guitars. And then some more lenses and bicycle wheels I'd been advertising sold and I decided to scratch an itch. And I looked on the Guitar Center used page and saw two PRS Soapbar II's, one listed in excellent condition for $450 and one in "good" condition for $320. I called the store with the cheaper one and the guy pulled it off the wall and told me it looked pretty perfect to him outside of a bit of buckle rash. I figured for $320, what the hell, and I could easily drive 15-20 minutes to my local GC and return it if I didn't like it. So I ordered it.

Well, I've had it a few days, and of my three guitars it's the least of them as a player. It's fine, quite good really, just not as great as the other two. But the sound, OH MY GOD the SOUND!!! Those soapies are everything they're cracked up to be and for how I play, they may be much more than that. I was only about ten minutes in when I realized, OMG, I'm HOME! How can a pickup be at once raunchy as hell and sweet and creamy as a great hollandaise at the same time. With just a bit of OD and working the volume controls, it's the sweetest sound I've ever made with a guitar. I'm in a bit of heaven here. The bridge pup is notably lower than the neck and the one thing that's NOT in amazingly great condition with this guitar is the pickup height adjustment screws which are really badly stripped out, so I haven't worked out raising that pickup yet. But frankly, I'm waaaaaay more of a neck and middle position player than bridge and both of those positions sound so damn good! I'll probably get around to raising the bridge pickup someday, but it doesn't feel like a priority.

So I guess I'm gonna have to keep three electric guitars. The best laid plans, shot to hell. Yet again. Seems I suck at this minimalism stuff. I used to be really good at it, but evidently not so much now. Oddly, while the 594 is clearly the "best" sounding of these three guitars in lots of measurable ways, the other two have so much more personality I'm really conflicted. NOTHING plays like the 594 and its got bloom and sustain like I've never heard. But the strat and Soapie are soooo damn pleasingly funky!

In today's dollars I got this soapbar II for far less than the $150 1980 dollars I paid for that Firebird (a similar vintage one of which I recently saw advertised for about $4000 - shoulda kept it!). It's probably as good a use of $300 I've ever found. Just a sweeeeeeeet sounding axe. A gift from the gods!

Pics - not bad looking, but the least of the three in the looks department too, IMHO:

Soapbar II-2 by Ray, on Flickr

Soapbar II-3 by Ray, on Flickr

Soapbar II-5 by Ray, on Flickr

Another P90 convert!

I love my Soapy II. When I bought it I had a McSoapy but I got such a deal on the SE, that I had to do it. Then I A/B'd the two and the Soapy II sounded better! I sold the McSoapy and kept the SE. Since then I've found another McSoapy that just edges out the Soapy II but I'm keeping both.

They clearly put the pickup selector out of reach so you'd just run the neck pickup anyway.
Or just not change positions on the fly very often - it really is a reach. I kind of like the simplicity of the controls. Reminds me of a tele in that respect. One three way switch, a volume control, a tone control, and just play the damn thing!

My world-o-tone was made whole plugged my CR Sig. ... Those glorious tones made me pee my pants:eek:...just a little...okay a lot...:D

IMHO the P-90s are the sh!t! He soapbar ie killer! Add 57/08"S" and what you get is...a straight up tone monster...with mojo for days!

I haven't had the pleasure of getting my grubby mitts on an all Soapbar of any kind as of yet. Looks like they can be had for cheap too... Congrats on the new axe man! Enjoy!

Bangin’!

I love these! The stock pickups are great, super comfortable guitar, no frills... they just work. I should get another one, shouldn’t I?

YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT...Be without one for another minute bro! That would be a travesty...Besides, Pacos gonna need one of his own eventually...am I right??? ;)

Congrats Ray! I have that same guitar (SE Soapbar II Maple), and it is a wonderful guitar. I had to do a little nut slot filing to get rid of the sitar sound on a couple of strings, slight setup adjustments, and it plays and sounds great. The frets are terrific, the ends are very smooth. I really like the "moons" fret dots.

I had put an offer on the Maple one, thought it was rejected, so I ordered another one in red (SE Soapbar II). Then my offer on the Maple one was accepted, so I now have both. I like the Maple one better than the red one, so I plan to upgrade the nut and bridge, and maybe the pups on the red one.

I originally thought that I might have to replace the pups and maybe other parts, but after a good setup it is just fine the way it is. It sounds great on so many different amps, but I've found a favorite, a little Ibanez TSA15 1x12 combo. With the Tube Screamer switched on, in the middle switch position it sounds just killer!

27281267808_a8bf18e45c_b.jpg

Congrats Ray! I have that same guitar (SE Soapbar II Maple), and it is a wonderful guitar. I had to do a little nut slot filing to get rid of the sitar sound on a couple of strings, slight setup adjustments, and it plays and sounds great. The frets are terrific, the ends are very smooth. I really like the "moons" fret dots.

I had put an offer on the Maple one, thought it was rejected, so I ordered another one in red (SE Soapbar II). Then my offer on the Maple one was accepted, so I now have both. I like the Maple one better than the red one, so I plan to upgrade the nut and bridge, and maybe the pups on the red one.

I originally thought that I might have to replace the pups and maybe other parts, but after a good setup it is just fine the way it is. It sounds great on so many different amps, but I've found a favorite, a little Ibanez TSA15 1x12 combo. With the Tube Screamer switched on, in the middle switch position it sounds just killer!

27281267808_a8bf18e45c_b.jpg

Yeah, looks familiar! Mine's pretty good already. I had to raise the bridge about a quarter turn just to get rid of a tiny bit of buzz and fret out on a couple of strings up around the 17th fret, but the action was lower than I liked initially anyway, so that worked on two fronts. And I'll probably put locking tuners on it. That and maybe raising the bridge pickup closer to the level of the neck pickup. Might need a tech with the right tool to do that, though, given how stripped out the pickup screws are - may need a tiny vice-grip to get ahold of those and then replace them with new screws. But the in between position is so good as is, I may not mess with it. I wonder if that's why it's set up the way it is?

Or just not change positions on the fly very often - it really is a reach. I kind of like the simplicity of the controls. Reminds me of a tele in that respect. One three way switch, a volume control, a tone control, and just play the damn thing!

Nice score!
I prefer simple too. So much that I had one 4 knob circuit rewired for master controls only.
Unlike you I have not yet experienced the proper marriage of P90 and guitar. Nice to hear about that one!

Congrats & enjoy!

...maybe raising the bridge pickup closer to the level of the neck pickup....But the in between position is so good as is, I may not mess with it. I wonder if that's why it's set up the way it is?

Yeah, if you move the bridge pup, it will affect the sound of the middle position. On mine, I have the bridge pup slightly higher than the neck pup. The bass side of the bridge pup is higher than the treble side, and the opposite on the neck pup. I also mainly use the middle position, just because it sounds best, and have the bonus of noise cancellation. Such a great guitar for the money!

Yeah, if you move the bridge pup, it will affect the sound of the middle position. On mine, I have the bridge pup slightly higher than the neck pup. The bass side of the bridge pup is higher than the treble side, and the opposite on the neck pup. I also mainly use the middle position, just because it sounds best, and have the bonus of noise cancellation. Such a great guitar for the money!
Well, good news. The pickup adjustment screws LOOK stripped and are to some extent, but there's so little resistance on those little guys that once I got off my dainty little ass and actually TRIED them, they still turn quite easily. So I was able to bring the pups into balance, but in a way that the middle position still sounds really good, slightly quacky even, and the bridge is balanced with the neck in terms of volume. I still like the neck position best of the three, and the middle next best, but the bridge is a useable option now. With the tone backed off a bit, it's a not-bad little screamer for those occasions when I want it. These pickups have a reputation for being incredibly sensitive to changes in the volume knob and I gotta say, they FULLY earn that rep! I love being able to play with a good bit of hair and then back down to about 7-8 on the volume and hear it clean up to just edge of breakup without losing much actual volume at all.

I'm liking this $300 guitar way more than I have any right to. And somehow, having this much love for a $300 guitar with a $3000 guitar sitting right next to it just makes the universe seem somehow out of balance. I guess I'll just have to.......... adapt. ;)

Back