New CE 24 today

Disagree. It’s from a dedicated factory that only does PRS (at least the Indonesian ones) where they have been trained by PRS to work to their standards.

You can disagree with what I wrote as much as you want, but it does not change the fact that it is a Cort facility staffed by Cort employees. Cort would be building some other brand name under contract in the same facility if PRS cancelled the contract. That is a very different thing than what is going on in Stevensville. The processes and tooling used by Cort are different than the processes and tooling used in Stevensville as well (i.e., the Cort facility is not a replica of Stevensville). An SE is a PINO (PRS In Name Only) guitar. If PRS was not aware of this reality, they would have never created the S2 line. The S2 line was created for buyers who cannot afford a core line guitar, but desire a real Stevensville PRS.

Last edited:
If you take that logic to its ultimate conclusion, only guitars made by PRSh should be considered real PRS guitars. :rolleyes:
I drive a Ford Focus, an American brand, bought in the UK, made in Germany, in a plant that originally made body parts for Renault cars.

I guess I really drive a Renault Focus then? And here I was, totally unaware of Ford’s deception...

Sent the CE24 back and picked up a like new SE Standard 24 with the hang tags still on it used. Plays very well. Priced some of the American made 85/15’s used for it on Reverb, but they are more than what I paid for the guitar. Guess that’s not going to happen.

Prefer the action on the SE over the CE. Maybe I just got a better than average SE. But I know it’s not a real PRS :)

NGD today! Very pleased with the CE24! Sorry yours didn't match what you were hoping for. But the SE you got I'm sure is great. I have a couple of those with some upgrades that sound and play special.

UnL98Pvl.jpg

Thanks - only took 2 years of pondering. :) I compared it to others on the racks and this one seemed to have a great sparkle on the edge tone wise. Also, the lightest one I tried. I felt in shock as I said the words "I'll take it" :)

Beautiful top - love that color!

Me too - it's called dark red smokeburst. Suppose to be a custom color run. They also had another custom color run called burnt amber smokeburst. Almost bought that one - beautiful. Perhaps even prettier than the one I got. But this one is also beautiful and I thought it was a better guitar for me.

NGD today! Very pleased with the CE24! Sorry yours didn't match what you were hoping for. But the SE you got I'm sure is great. I have a couple of those with some upgrades that sound and play special.

This looks very similar to the one I had, but it was not called smoke burst. Think it was called dark cherry burst. It was a nice guitar, but for some reason I prefer the feel of the SE. Think the color looks great with the no so flamey top that I prefer over a perfect top. Very glad you are enjoying yours and I was looking so forward to being enamored with mine. I think they sound great and wish I could find a set of the 85/15 pickups at a not so ridiculous price to install in my SE. They do sound better than the 85/15S models. Hope you have years of enjoyment with it.

UnL98Pvl.jpg

Nice guitars!

Having recently acquired a CE 24 in preference to an s2 I have to say it took a couple of weeks to settle in, but now a few months on I'm really pleased with it. It is definitely a departure from my CU24 and is a different flavour (different to my much-loved Strat as well). I see it as something else that PRS offer by way of an alternative rather than an appendage- the fact they decided to reintroduce it (albeit using some of the s2 tooling) must say something. If it doesn't suit then change it, though I don't view it as inferior or superior to any other PRS, just different (that word again!).

They must be seen as a bridge between the cores and s2's as when I contacted Andertons to order it (in a nice whale blue smokeburst) I got put through to their "guitar lounge" team who deal with the quality US and other guitars, including the core line! Must say something !

Will post a pic when I've re-read how to do it...

Must say something !

I was there a few months ago and the US lines (core, S2, CE) were together in the guitar lounge/gallery or whatever they call it. I played guitars from all the US ranges. I can’t recall if the imports were there too, but I wasn’t really looking as I’ve already got one of those. I think it’s basically as simple as shelf space. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Hi Uncle yes I suppose so though I just thought it was interesting the Lounge dealt with Cores/CE's etc. Though not with the s2 I was thinking of buying. Might just be their admin arrangements

Hi Uncle yes I suppose so though I just thought it was interesting the Lounge dealt with Cores/CE's etc. Though not with the s2 I was thinking of buying. Might just be their admin arrangements
Also they have two guys in that section (both called Paul, funnily enough) so it’s possibly also a ‘product knowledge’ thing too.

Not to bring back an old thread, but I picked up a 98 CE24 yesterday and I like it. Don’t know what the differences besides the body carve and the neck on the new one being satin, this one just feels better to me. The neck carve seems a tad different as well. The pickups are the VB/HFS and the color is Whale Blue. Don’t put any images in third party hosting sites, so I can post pics here. Seems this site could offer easier uploads of images, but oh well. Could put a link to the PRS Facebook page I guess. Is that allowed?

Also, it does not have the natural binding like the new one had. I changed the strings last night and had to look up a video on how to work these. Not sure I like them yet. Still not putting down the new CE24 I had for a few days, it was just not for me.

Not this again...

So a MIM strat is not a real Fender? The world knows why SE guitars are built overseas, it’s cost, not expertise. The notion that geography makes any difference at all is really dumb.
Fender originated and owns the Ensenada plant and the builders are Fender employees.

Back