New bridge for the S2

Carbohydrates

Guitar forums, man. If I didn't spend time on 'em, I never would have thought to change the bridge on my S2 Std 24. Because of these forums, I learned that the S2s have cheaper cast/zinc bridges and, despite not really having a problem with that, I got it in my head to go messing with something that didn't need messing with.

Given that I only paid $xxx for this guitar, the idea of dropping $325 for a US bridge (or $225 for a Mannmade) wasn't super appealing. Luckily for me, I found a used US bridge on Reverb and got it for about $115! For that price, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Also, I took pictures.

M0PHDOjh.jpg

The old bridge! Casting marks! Zinc! Whoo!

bRL4Wfuh.jpg

13.05 oz

pfbAXZph.jpg

15.3 oz. 17% heavier! Even the mounting screws weigh more.

35aqfdxh.jpg

8rbDH9Dh.jpg

M77IPe7h.jpg

Sooooo was it worth it? Well, I lost a bit of acoustic volume, but I also lost a TON of "plinkiness" and it seems much more well rounded. Actually, it ended up being a far more significant change than I expected. I shouldn't be as surprised as I am, but dang. It sounds so much more substantial and full bodied now.

Thanks a lot for posting this - I've been wanting to hear from more people who made a swap. I'm in the same boat, I have zero problems with my cast SE/S2 bridges, but ya know, guitar mods...

Glad to hear it fattened things up and took some of the "plink" out, my S2 Semi 22 is perfect, but the Standard could do with a little smoothing out.

Nah has the 3 big screws bro.

Sweet and cheap upgrade! Did you get a little OCD with the 6 mounting screws? Mine never line up when I do the 2.5mm hex key trick!
I don't know any tricks, hah. I measured the height/clearance of the old bridge coming off, made sure the new screws are even with a straight edge and a level, and tweaked the claw until the bridge itself sat level. I don't know if that counts as OCD; I just wanted to get it right the first time!

I don't know any tricks, hah. I measured the height/clearance of the old bridge coming off, made sure the new screws are even with a straight edge and a level, and tweaked the claw until the bridge itself sat level. I don't know if that counts as OCD; I just wanted to get it right the first time!
No, you did right, they have to be level! Here's a vid which explains how :)

Messed with it a little more since I am kind of drowning in mahogany H-H guitars already. Figured I'd do something a little different with this one.

uIiRrMEh.jpg

ha3fWlGh.jpg

So now it's got the PRS USA bridge, a Vintage Vibe P90 in the neck, a Duncan JB in the bridge, Schaller strap locks, and Schaller black ebony tuner buttons - and I'm still in it for less than the cost of a new one. I just finished putting it all together and photographing it, so I haven't played it much yet, but here you go!

Here's a "before" shot for comparison.

Back